diy solar

diy solar

Future of DIY LiFePO4 looks bleak…

appreciate y'all!

so glad this place exists so i can learn from the wide array of DIY projects being done.

learning about the components gives me more confidence about long term maintenance, e.g. the point made about prebuilt options not offering diagnostic data access or have laser welded terminals preventing cell swapping.

DIY can be very time consuming, and the knowledge can be very fun!

somehow
In the end what counts is the cost/kwh throughput over the life of the battery.

In a nutshell you can’t price a battery until it’s end of life.

The 18kwh fortress may well be cheaper per kwh delivered over its lifespan.
Somehow I seriously doubt that..

The OP of this thread asked

Future of DIY LiFePO4 looks bleak…

I think the real threat to DIY in North America will not be the lowering costs and supposed better cells and build quality of OTS packs, it will be the ever evolving (an in some instances over burdensome) NEC and local community adoption and code requirements. I believe the latest 2020 NEC requires storage batteries to be UL listed (if not it soon will).

These increasing rules seem to have (at least as a bi product) the effect of diminishing DIY Solar and batteries packs builds making them illegal for home and other uses.

An example would be the 2017 NEC rapid shutdown requirement. Supposedly aimed at saving firefighters lives, but a major fire department official on the west coast completely disagreed.

My guess. Follow the money. Seems there are entities that do not want diy solar anything because it cuts into the bottom line. Do they pay off politicians and the NEC? Over my pay grade. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Just my .02 You're free to disagree
You are correct. Follow the money.
As I stated in another thread, they use the guise of "For your safety" to push these ridiculous policies that are nothing more than shills for the elite and manufactures.

Mark Twain said "professionals only gather together to scheme against the masses." Regulation is always good for the big players, they write it.

You are correct. Follow the money.
As I stated in another thread, they use the guise of "For your safety" to push these ridiculous policies that are nothing more than shills for the elite and manufactures.
Seems like there has been another recent headline event lately that has followed this same pattern for control. What was that piece? I can't remember.

Seems like there has been another recent headline event lately that has followed this same pattern for control. What was that piece? I can't remember.
You mean Vaccine mandates? Almost everything is done in the “name” of safety but we know it’s just about control.

Lest everyone forget the Nazis had the same saying for every atrocity they committed.

“Für Ihre Sicherheit” = For Your Safety.

Familiar pattern eh?

Was looking at the price tag on this 5.1Kw battery. https://shop.signaturesolar.us/products/48v-100ah-lcd-battery-by-eg4
16 x 3.2v 280ah cells is 15KWH. 16Cells @$125 Delivered plus $200 for BMS is $2200.

EG4 battery is 5KHW and cost $1500.00 100%DOD is 5KWH.

To equal Mine would have to be 3 EG4s @$1500 = $4500

Its a no brainer.

Yes I get full 15KWh if I want. I only use 70% of it or about 10KWH to keep the stress down.

Plus the cells in the Commercially built systems are laser welded.
If you have a bad cell good luck replacing it.
DIY you pull 2 nuts and replace the cell.

if i get anywhere near 3000 cycles that is 10 years.

Its not Rocket science.
To equal my batteries takes 5.2 EG4's x $1500 for the cheap EG4 and that's $7800.

I had $4100 in my cells, around $900 for the Batrium with 2 K9's, extra long leads and shipping.

That's a discount of 56%.

Has everyone forgotten that their time is also worth something?

Reactions: Dzl
The point of DIY for me has always been to get a superior system to what is commercially available.

The bar for commercial ready made batteries has been drastically lowered in recent times, making DIY even more attractive.
How So? Even will states you can’t beat Gyll with the build quality doing DIY, in his review of GYLL, so explain your reasoning please.

Of course not: the experience you gain and the learning one does is priceless.
And drives the cost of DIY, which makes commercial cheaper. I don’t see people adding the price of shipping and the problems with returning bad products to the price of KW, were the battery’s and other Components shipped free? Not to mention you are paying retail prices and not bulk or wholesale prices.

How So? Even will states you can’t beat Gyll with the build quality doing DIY, in his review of GYLL, so explain your reasoning please.

Quite simply, i use better quality equipment.

I’m certain if the manufacturers of GYLL used lifetech cells and REC-BMS, set their parameters the same as mine, and installed their system in a climate controlled environment - they would be superior.

As i have said in this thread many times - the offerings i have seen especially from BYD and Pylontech have proven to be short lasting.

I’ve helped out hundreds of people to set up off grid. Never charged a cent for my time - just frustrated at the poor performance of “professional” systems.

Reactions: Zwy
Back