diy solar

diy solar

(Future Planning) How to handle multiple power sources and loads in the wiring scheme?

okrobie

Hi all, Thanks for having this forum.

First of all, multiple battery charging sources and loads.. I have a UPS battery bank with 4 190AH 12V SLA batteries, wired in parallel.. I will have grid powered charger, gas motor 12V charger, dual fuel 220 Volt 6000 watt generator, and later on 12V solar charger. as alternate charging sources, and as a load, possibly a sub panel for emergency use power for refrigeration, electronics, ham radio and, limited lighting, and possibly a feed to the whole house.

I already own a small manual transfer switch which is available for use in this mix if it will be helpful.

There is already a 60 Amp sub panel off of the main, in the separate workshop, which I plan to normally feed from the battery UPS.

The UPS and solar sources will be in the separate workshop.

The main panel in the house will have sources of grid line power, 220 Volt battery inverter output, 220 Volt solar inverter output and 220 Volt 6000 watt dual fuel generator.

My current utility does not offer a buy back or two way meter program, but what should I be planning if that possibility ever arises?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and input.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Addressing only the first concern - as long as you properly configure all charging sources, there is no concern. It helps to think of charging as the battery PULLING current from chargers rather than chargers PUSHING current. Chargers respond to battery voltage and adjust accordingly. If the battery doesn't need the current the chargers can supply, it won't take it, and they won't deliver it.

Hi snobler, thanks for the wisdom. Of course you are correct. I have been warned however to not use conventional DC power supplies as chargers because they are not intelligent enough to know when the battery is fully charged and keep forcing electrons down the throat of the battery until it is burned up. All of my chargers are intelligent however. :)

Even that can be dealt with. It's not optimal, but CV of 13.6V for LFP and 13.8V for SLA/AGM are very workable and will only take them to about 95% SoC and hold them there.

Back