diy solar

diy solar

Future pricing trends for lifepo4

Hey don’t stomp on my dream :(. It’s going to be custom fit into my converted cargo trailer (also on paper). Just going with wills suggestions on the inverter. I figure if I have to spend on a new inverter I’m still ahead. Open to suggestions - only thing ordered is the batteries.

What angle are your panels going to be mounted at? I don't know if you will be travelling or stationary.

I'm looking for a backup 48V inverter, my Outback will eventually wear out. How long have the Gowise inverters been tested? Are they efficient? Or just cheap? Off to Amazon to see what others think - though most reviews are not educated.

Last edited:
What angle are your panels going to be mounted at? I don't know if you will be travelling or stationary.

I'm looking for a backup 48V inverter, my Outback will eventually wear out. How long have the Gowise inverters been tested? Are they efficient? Or just cheap? Off to Amazon to see what others think - though most reviews are not educated.
I'm going to mount them flat, I'll be travelling with 2week-2month stays following the seasons on the snow-bird route, plan is to live about 9 months of year in trailer and have it in storage rest of time. Obviously my projections are unrealistic best-case, but I'll have good sun in Texas/Arizona for long periods when I need it for cooling. Not sure how the Gowise stacks up long term but it's not the cheapest on the market and it is recommended by Will. I'd certainly be open to upgrade at this point, if a more reliable candidate is found. I think 24V is the way to go for my application, my "planning" is pretty much based on the blue-prints here: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/2000-watt-24v-solar-system.html , but I have 45 days at least until my batteries arrive. If a system component fails on the road I'll probably have a backup generator to get by on until I replace/repair. At least by then I'll know how everything fits together and be able to diagnose problems.

Last edited:
I'm going to mount them flat, I'll be travelling with 2week-2month stays following the seasons on the snow-bird route, plan is to live about 9 months of year in trailer and have it in storage rest of time. Obviously my projections are unrealistic best-case, but I'll have good sun in Texas/Arizona for long periods when I need it for cooling. Not sure how the Gowise stacks up long term but it's not the cheapest on the market and it is recommended by Will. I'd certainly be open to upgrade at this point, if a more reliable candidate is found. I think 24V is the way to go for my application, my "planning" is pretty much based on the blue-prints here: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/2000-watt-24v-solar-system.html , but I have 45 days at least until my batteries arrive. If a system component fails on the road I'll probably have a backup generator to get by on until I replace/repair. At least by then I'll know how everything fits together and be able to diagnose problems.

The west (of the Mississippi) is pretty sunny until you hit western Washington, unsure about Oregon. I get 360 sunny days/year here in the San Luis Valley of Colorado. That is hard to beat.

Thanks - you got me searching for back up inverters. The problem is finding 48V inverters that are readily compatible with a circuit breaker panel. Most have 120V receptacles.

The west (of the Mississippi) is pretty sunny until you hit western Washington, unsure about Oregon. I get 360 sunny days/year here in the San Luis Valley of Colorado. That is hard to beat.

Thanks - you got me searching for back up inverters. The problem is finding 48V inverters that are readily compatible with a circuit breaker panel. Most have 120V receptacles.
Depends where in oregon, I worked in Columbia valley area for a few years - it's mostly sunny but high winds. What specs are you looking for? I don't see much in the line of stand-alone 48V inverters - Victron Quattro look nice but very pricey and are all-in-one.

Depends where in oregon, I worked in Columbia valley area for a few years - it's mostly sunny but high winds. What specs are you looking for? I don't see much in the line of stand-alone 48V inverters - Victron Quattro look nice but very pricey and are all-in-one.

Needs to hook up to circuit breaker panel - so no 120V outlets unless it also has lugs for hooking up to breaker panel.

Be nice if genset can be hooked up to charge the batteries but not needed.

This is a back up inverter in case the SHTF and there is no supply chain. Somewhat unlikely so looking for an inverter that maybe has been collecting dust for years and is heavily discounted as a result.

Have an Outback Flexmate with their 3648 inverter. Great inverter but I think it likes to "sip the juice a bit". The dancing LED lights are probably a trade show hit - but functionality?

Oh yea - at least 500 watts. I've done serious downsizing lately. No more 500 and 600 watt defrosters.

Last edited:
Back