diy solar

diy solar

fyi warning about liitokala varicore flagship store aliexpress..do not buy

I have to get the rest of my equipment to test it. I have 3750w of solar panels and now 13.44kwhr of batteries. My bms's are on the way. I'll be ordering the rest of the equipment this week. I'll be installing all of this on my RV.

Well, I have found out lately, that the strategy of these sellers is to send good "new" cells to some lucky customers, to get some good reviews, and used cells to the less fortunate customers, to possibly also miscredit these customers reviews.

They claim that they are testing all cells before shipping, but that is DEFFINATELY NOT THE CASE!

If you don't have any means of testing the capacity right after arrival, then DON'T BUY!

And measuring 3.3V on each cells at arrival is NO INDICATION OF NEITHER BALLANCE NOR CAPACITY !!!

Some tell tell signs of used cells are:
1. Both terminals looking mat and copper terminal not yellowish and shiny anymore.
2. Substantial scuff marks in particular on the bottom.
3. Much lower capacity than advertised.
4. Substantial difference in capacity.
5. QR-codes not matching paperstickers.
(They will claim only factory can read them, but that is absolute BOGUS. They are easily readable with a good QR-reader app).
There is another thread where you can upload QR-code readings and paperstickers, please post them there for further analysis.

Just a few hours ago I received solid information that the CALB factory don't allow export of their new sells through unauthorised sellers on AliExpress, and even from authorised sellers NEW cells are only sent directly from the various Factory branches around the world.

The CALB cells that are offered on AliExpress are all cells that the factory have either swapped out from big customers contracts like electric bus operators exchanging them on a regular basis to keep the busses running without problems, or possibly lower grade cells that the factory cannot sell otherwise as they don't meet contractual commitments. This is information from the horse's mouth !!

Regards and Watch out.

Tracking for my cells from AliExpress is now moving.

It will surprise no one, who is familiar with the workings of the universe, that this happened the very day after I sent Michael funds for his group-buy batteries.

Hopefully the AliExpress cells will be solid, and I just wind up with a 560ah battery bank instead of a 280ah bank.

I can request a refund from AliExpress if the batteries don't arrive within 75 days. The batteries are now showing out for delivery.

75 days from date I placed the order is.........................................today. Exactly, to the day.

Made me chuckle.

I can request a refund from AliExpress if the batteries don't arrive within 75 days. The batteries are now showing out for delivery.

75 days from date I placed the order is.........................................today. Exactly, to the day.

Made me chuckle.
You can still get the full refund even if they deliver the cells as I recall. So here's hoping the delivery guy is late?

You can still get the full refund even if they deliver the cells as I recall. So here's hoping the delivery guy is late?
I wouldn't screw over any seller be it Chinese or American. Now if the cells arrived all messed up or out of spec then maybe.

I'm not screwing over anyone. If the cells arrive and are in good shape, I'll be thrilled and happily keep them. Fingers crossed.

My reply was not directed towards you. Good luck :)

Right, that's why you didn't quote me. It was regarding a reply to me, though. I'm a new guy here, with zero history and nobody knows me, just wanting to make sure everyone knows where I stand.

Apologies if I was grouchy.

Right, that's why you didn't quote me. It was regarding a reply to me, though. I'm a new guy here, with zero history and nobody knows me, just wanting to make sure everyone knows where I stand.

Apologies if I was grouchy.
It's all good. Looking forward to your findings when the cells are delivered later today. Hoping the visual inspection goes well.

I understand the nobility of the sentiment.

However, policy is policy. If they make the rules I will abide by them as allowed. Its more of a guarantee than anything else, and all guarantees have terms. Especially if they lied to me about anything in the description. At that point I would see it as an obligation to utilize that guarantee since they failed to meet their obligation to send me what I ordered and to do so in the time allotted.

Doubly so if they advertised new cells and sent clearly used ones.

So I wouldn't view that as anything negative.

I also don't intend for that to come across as shady or suggesting you should also be shady, but contracts are contracts.
I wouldn't screw over any seller be it Chinese or American. Now if the cells arrived all messed up or out of spec then maybe.
I agree. I probably wouldn't do it if they arrived in good condition and in spec either.
But this seller has a history of providing used cells, and you can bet I will be looking out for that.

Something I will find out for myself when my shipment from them arrives... at some point.

If they show up a day late and are in really good condition? Then they get a good review of course.

At any rate I am curious to hear about what @OM617YOTA comes up with.

Be sure to make individual capacity test on them, just measuring voltage and IR doesn't say anything about the state of the cells.

Plan was visual inspection, measure voltage + IR, top balance, build an 8s pack w/ Overkill BMS, hook to inverter through Victron Smart Shunt, and pull a load while monitoring overall capacity through the Smart Shunt. BMS should allow me to nail down which cell(s) are bad, right?

I debated between an individual capacity tester, and the Smart Shunt, and went with the Smart Shunt as I'm sure I'd use it for more than just this one capacity test.

I'll do more research, don't mean to drag this thread off course.

BMS should allow me to nail down which cell(s) are bad, right?
yep, the voltage will suddenly drop on the lowest capacity cell and the BMS "should" at that point do a low cell disconnect of the entire pack...
You may not want to rely on the BMS entirely unless you have calibrated it at the low end; the voltage of the weakest cell will drop QUICKLY, well, depending on the load but even a 20-30A load will cause a weak cell to drop fast (as in minutes from 3.0V to 2.5V) at the end of its capacity.

Some tell tell signs of used cells are:
1. Both terminals looking mat and copper terminal not yellowish and shiny anymore.
2. Substantial scuff marks in particular on the bottom.
3. Much lower capacity than advertised.
4. Substantial difference in capacity.
5. QR-codes not matching paperstickers.
(They will claim only factory can read them, but that is absolute BOGUS. They are easily readable with a good QR-reader app).
There is another thread where you can upload QR-code readings and paperstickers, please post them there for further analysis.
nice list.. maybe add "swollen cells" into that list as well...

Not going to drag this thread any further off path. My results thus far are here:

nice list.. maybe add "swollen cells" into that list as well...
Yes, that is what is being received lately,
10mm swollen battery :

Contact your credit card company.

Tell them you ordered 8 items and one of them was defective AND that you have been working with BOTH the seller and AliExpress and they have set impossible conditions on you returning the item.

And set back and enjoy the show.

EVERY SINGLE TIME that something like this has happened to me I just smh and contact my CC company ... and every time - I think I am up to 8 now ,,, I have got a REFUND ... as @fhorst said -- Aliexpress and Alibaba is for the SELLERS 1000% of the time and never the buyer ....
What was the amount of money refunded and what was the proof they have asked you to provide ?

Below is what happened for me with a cost of $20000 they ask me to pay shipping back of $4000 to return defective products :

Darn, didnt see this thread before. Ordered 8 x 280ah cells. Debating how I should proceed with Liikota.

Problems:

Order cells and they arrived beyond 75 day window.
Upon initial inspection, 4 of the 8 cells have crooked threads.
During precharging noticed that at least one cell was charging much faster than others and after top balancing and capacity test I I found 2 of the 8 cells are a lower capacity. Approximately 238ah.

I am wondering if I should dispute with paypal, credit card or ali express. My window to dispute via ali express is closing soon and based on what I've read in multiple threads ali express can be a crapshoot at times. Thoughts?

Back