diy solar

diy solar

Gaia Power Tower and solar

cotter`

So I picked one of these up for a song (and a half) a while back on hopes of using at a later date. I have found very limited information on this system online which seems strange but it seems to be an early generation power wall type set up.
My later date is approaching now so I am trying to figure out my best way to utilize this with my future application.

I have 2 of these units; 1 is set up of 110v the other is 220v. The heart of the system is a Xantrex SW + 5548 inverter (or 2 with the sync cord in the 220v set up). These are 5500w true sine wave inverters that run on 48v DC. They came with 8 12v AGM batteries per system and it all fits inside the enclosure in the link.

Forward to today and my situation. I am buying a cabin in the mountains of Kentucky and want to go off grid and solar with this system hopefully being able to save me quite a bit of start up cost.

Will this be as easy as buying a solar panel array and charge controller to hook up to the batteries? Any help, guidance or lessons learned would be appreciated.
Thanks

Do you know if the batteries are in good shape? If they are then I would say yes. But my knowledge is limited on this product. If the batteries are no good, switch them to lithium cells from china!

I have tried to charge one set of the batteries and about half of them will maintain 12v so I am certain I would have to replace them. I tested the voltage on the other set and they seemed to be around 9v after sitting since who knows when. I am going to try putting a charge to them next.

Back