diy solar

diy solar

Game Changer? BLUETTI EP500 Solar Generator 5100wh capacity <$3,000

Has UPS function too. I'm pretty excited about this new product from Bluetti. Hopefully Will Prowse will be able to do a full review on it prior to the Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign.

The question is with size and weight is it still a Solar Generator?

Already posted in the Solar Generator forum.

After what Will said about the AC200 and that he was not reviewing any more crowdfunded devices I doubt if they sent him one.

The question is with size and weight is it still a Solar Generator?

Already posted in the Solar Generator forum.

After what Will said about the AC200 and that he was not reviewing any more crowdfunded devices I doubt if they sent him one.
Sorry about the repeat message. I did a search before I posted, but I searched for EP500 not EB5000. Good question, if the EP500 still qualifies as a solar generator. My thinking is Yes, since it's still a one piece item, with all the equipment necessary to generate useful electricity, except the solar panels; but then one could make a case that the Tesla Power Wall is also a Solar Generator.

I think, Will got tired of testing all the junk that he was getting. Had to be frustrating to go to the trouble of testing and finding out what's wrong, and then notifying the company for something the company should have already known, and maybe did. He basically became a highly qualified beta tester, and influencer for the products he was testing on behalf of companies, in which some of them made a crappy product.

That being said, it would be nice for someone or a team that is qualified and has the time to systematically and in a similar way to test all these products coming out. Maybe it already exists, but I haven't seen it.

Sorry about the repeat message. I did a search before I posted, but I searched for EP500 not EB5000. Good question, if the EP500 still qualifies as a solar generator. My thinking is Yes, since it's still a one piece item, with all the equipment necessary to generate useful electricity, except the solar panels; but then one could make a case that the Tesla Power Wall is also a Solar Generator.

I think, Will got tired of testing all the junk that he was getting. Had to be frustrating to go to the trouble of testing and finding out what's wrong, and then notifying the company for something the company should have already known, and maybe did. He basically became a highly qualified beta tester, and influencer for the products he was testing on behalf of companies, in which some of them made a crappy product.

That being said, it would be nice for someone or a team that is qualified and has the time to systematically and in a similar way to test all these products coming out. Maybe it already exists, but I haven't seen it.
Jehu looked at it a day or two ago.

I have a serious concern about the batteries in this unit. Bluetti claims 6000 cycles, which is indeed what would be expected of decent quality LiFePO4 batteries. HOWEVER, consider this: A decent LiFePO4 battery with the SAME capacity at the EP500 would cost MORE that the ENTIRE EP500!!! So how on Earth could the EP500 possibly have decent quality LiFePO4s? Here's what I think: the EP500 batteries can't last for anything close to the claimed 6000 cycles, but because the vast majority of owners will never come even close to 6000 cycles, it doesn't matter! So the EP500 batteries aren't good for 6000 cycles, and THAT's why Bluetti's cost for them can be so low.

My guess is they came up with a creative way of calling it 6000 cycles. They don't specify what end of life would be (70%? 50%?). Kind of a cool unit though. I think with good battery management, they could last a while. Unfortunately there is no BMS that displays how well the individual cells are doing - just a voltage.

I have one sitting here next to me. I'm here to figure out how to set up solar so I can recharge this when the power goes down.

I think because of shipping requirements (must ship via freight), they will phase it out and focus on their units that separate batteries from the inverters, etc.

Back