diy solar

diy solar

Gas generator to backup solar

kdwhite67

Hi, I am new to solar and I am installing a system into my tiny home that consists of two 100 watt rich solar panels, 40 amp mppt controller and two 125ah v max 12 volt batteries. I live in Minnesota and anticipate consecutive cloudy days in the winter months. I'm looking for advice on how I can integrate a 1000 watt honda generator I already own into the system when I need to supplement. I would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks Bob! 12v with a 1000w Renogy inverter. Those are the batteries. I’m not a Gopher. I do watch gopher sports especially hockey!

Looks like those batteries will take about 35a each for charging. So if you are charging them both at the same time that puts you very close to 1kW. That is a good match for your generator. You like to minimize the runtime of generator and keep it near full load for best efficiency. One thing to consider is the current waveform that you will be pulling off of the generator. The generator would like to see a high power factor. In other words, it would like to see the current to the charger in phase and close to a sinewave. I'm sure others here know more about the chargers than I do. I don't expect your inverter can charge 70amps so you probably want an outboard charger anyway. I would look at what the battery manufacturer sells for charger. If the current is nice then it may be what you want. Make sure the chargers can be paralleled if you want to get to 70A. Wife and I are Badgers and had season Hockey tickets. Always enjoyed hosting the Gophers.

The Aims looks like a nice unit, but I don't think it has PFC. The 9A input current at full output has got me curious. Worth a look at for sure. The Meanwell has PFC and looks to be very reasonably priced. The others I just threw in there to look at. The Analytic systems and Sterling seem a bit pricy. The IOTA seem to be popular with some crowds-not sure why. I am going to buy the Meanwell 3200W in January when I switch to LiFePO4. I have a Champion 3500W inverter generator I will run it off of. There are others here that I'm sure could point you in a good direction.

Thanks for the links Bob! I'll check them out for sure. My apologies as some of the info is outside my knowledge base. I was given this charger and wondering if I can use this on the vmax batteries I have. From what i've been able to find I believe I can. What are your thoughts? If so can I connect it to the same battery posts as the inverter at the same time and start the generator to power the charger? Attached is my current setup and will be adding a 2nd battery in parallel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.16.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.16.40 AM.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 7
Check out the "About My System" link in my signature.
I also use a gas generator as a back-up for my system.
I'm in Wisconsin, so our climates are most likely similar.

This is great info! Very similar situation with the exception my tiny house is 10x16. I do plan on a similar load but no water pump. Right now I am connecting the generator to the service panel from the outside through the wall and energize the tiny home receptacles that way. I would like to be able to switch from solar to generator power when needed and back to solar as much as I can. I’m trying to figure out how to make that switch? Should I just plug a charger into one of the wall outlets to charge the battery bank? That’s easy enough. Now how do I connect the inverter to the service panel. I’ve seen switch boxes that do that but is there a easier way?

thanks!

This is great info! Very similar situation with the exception my tiny house is 10x16. I do plan on a similar load but no water pump. Right now I am connecting the generator to the service panel from the outside through the wall and energize the tiny home receptacles that way. I would like to be able to switch from solar to generator power when needed and back to solar as much as I can. I’m trying to figure out how to make that switch? Should I just plug a charger into one of the wall outlets to charge the battery bank? That’s easy enough. Now how do I connect the inverter to the service panel. I’ve seen switch boxes that do that but is there a easier way?

thanks!
Some inverters support passing AC through with a built in transfer switch. Some all in one units do this too. Then the genny just feeds your main inverter and the ac charger pulls from that shore power too?

Some inverters support passing AC through with a built in transfer switch. Some all in one units do this too. Then the genny just feeds your main inverter and the ac charger pulls from that shore power too?
Thanks! Since I already own the inverter I was wondering if there was a way to utilize my existing equipment?

Should I just plug a charger into one of the wall outlets to charge the battery bank? That’s easy enough. Now how do I connect the inverter to the service panel. I’ve seen switch boxes that do that but is there a easier way?

thanks!
I do exactly that. I plug the battery charger into the same outlet as the other circuits that is powered by the generator.
I can't help with the inverter question. I do not use a panel. My inverter is hard wired to my battery bank.

Back