diy solar

diy solar

Gas-Powered Lawn Equipment Will Soon Be Banned In Cali, a broad category that includes generators.

Only a fifth of Texas's power comes from wind and solar.

Take out a fifth of production when demand skyrockets and bad things are going to happen no matter what.

Actually, it's because Texas decided to be on their own and then decided it wasn't worth the money to design the power plants and wind farms to work in sub zero weather.

Rarely does any entity spend billions and billions on something that is not likely to be needed.
210 people died in Texas due to the power issues...but who counts deaths in texas these days LOL

Like I said, deaths from extreme weather (cold and hot) happen in every state, even in states that are used to extreme. Not sure what the latter part of your statement is supposed to mean.

In any case, the event proved that "green energy" is not without issues (and cost)

Again. Public Safety Power Shutoff is not a rolling blackout and is not due to inadequate generation.
Charging an EV will have no effect to cause a PSPS.
If the power is out does it matter whether it’s out for “safety” or ”supply“ reasons? You’re arguing an irrelevancy. The grid is unreliable, thus the need for backup generation of some kind

I’m in Vermont. I’m not so sure about that!

Just a quick Google

"Sub-zero temps may have contributed to UVM student's death."

"BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — The Vermont Health Department says a fourth person has died in connection with last week’s heat wave."

For the homeowner, it's not going to be a big deal. You can currently buy great battery powered leaf blowers, trimmers and lawn mowers. In fact I just bought two electric leaf blowers for two of my houses...they are great!

The problem is going to be for the lawn service people. They have to do many customers a day and they will have to have a huge assortment of batteries that will need to be charged overnight.
Here in Charlotte, I have seen several companies using exclusively electric equipment.

If the power is out does it matter whether it’s out for “safety” or ”supply“ reasons? You’re arguing an irrelevancy. The grid is unreliable, thus the need for backup generation of some kind
Go back to post #7 to understand the comment of overloading the grid.

Go back to post #7 to understand the comment of overloading the grid.
Okay I can see why your splitting the hair, but you're premise of an abundant supply is also shaky. See the link below

The abstract: Bolding is mine
California's new wholesale power market and customer choice program, which started in March, 1998, worked fairly well for about a year and a half. In the summer of 2000, retail electricity prices in southern California reached all time highs, and generation capacity shortages forced temporary power outages in northern California.

Since then, coverage of California's energy crisis has been reported on television and in newspapers around the country. The complexity of problems, the contrasting views and sometimes conflicting solutions offered by politicians, government officials, and other stakeholders make it difficult to follow what has happened.​

For the homeowner, it's not going to be a big deal. You can currently buy great battery powered leaf blowers, trimmers and lawn mowers. In fact I just bought two electric leaf blowers for two of my houses...they are great!

I have several acres to mow and no battery operated mower or trimmer will do the job in an acceptable amount of time. Not all homeowners only have a 10x10 patch of lawn. Luckily I live in a free state that still lets people choose how to live.

Okay I can see why your splitting the hair, but you're premise of an abundant supply is also shaky. See the link below

The abstract: Bolding is mine
California's new wholesale power market and customer choice program, which started in March, 1998, worked fairly well for about a year and a half. In the summer of 2000, retail electricity prices in southern California reached all time highs, and generation capacity shortages forced temporary power outages in northern California.

Since then, coverage of California's energy crisis has been reported on television and in newspapers around the country. The complexity of problems, the contrasting views and sometimes conflicting solutions offered by politicians, government officials, and other stakeholders make it difficult to follow what has happened.​
I am not denying shortages of generation have not happened. Just that is has been very infrequent. By the reports some would think it happens several times a year. It does not. The rolling blackouts in 2020 was the first in 19 years. Even these covered a relatively small portion of CA. No effect to southern CA. Disasters sell advertising and you can bet the scenario will be drummed up for the next 19 years. I give the operators credit for a controlled rolling blackout vs the days without power as some other areas have experienced.

I have several acres to mow and no battery operated mower or trimmer will do the job in an acceptable amount of time. Not all homeowners only have a 10x10 patch of lawn. Luckily I live in a free state that still lets people choose how to live.
You mow several acres every week or two. Wow. Do you mow with a tractor or a small riding mower?

You mow several acres every week or two. Wow. Do you mow with a tractor or a small riding mower?

The frequency of mowing depends on the amount of rain. Sometimes it is every week. Sometimes only once a month or less. I have a 54" zero turn mower and a 42" riding mower as a backup.

The law seems to only apply to spark ignition engines. You could still use a diesel powered ride on mower. Or any mower with greater than 25hp, which if you have several acers you should consider. Actually, you should consider getting rid of your lawn, California is in a drought. FWIW, my family in California now has 160 Acres of dirt.

I am not denying shortages of generation have not happened. Just that is has been very infrequent. By the reports some would think it happens several times a year. It does not. The rolling blackouts in 2020 was the first in 19 years. Even these covered a relatively small portion of CA. No effect to southern CA. Disasters sell advertising and you can bet the scenario will be drummed up for the next 19 years. I give the operators credit for a controlled rolling blackout vs the days without power as some other areas have experienced.
I am not sure about 2020, but certainly 19 years ago, and I suspect in 2020, there was no shortage of generation. It was caused by legal/political/contractual issues with buying power and importing it from other states. The power was there to be delivered, but California couldn't buy it. Governor Davis was recalled in part because of his mishandling that caused the blackouts.

The ryobi zero turn mower converted to lithium can handle about 5 acres of lawn if it isn't allowed to get too tall...

I am not sure about 2020, but certainly 19 years ago, and I suspect in 2020, there was no shortage of generation. It was caused by legal/political/contractual issues with buying power and importing it from other states. The power was there to be delivered, but California couldn't buy it. Governor Davis was recalled in part because of his mishandling that caused the blackouts.

Yep. That's more of the issue then supply.
Also since 2010, I know of 2 peak demand natural gas power stations built near me. So they are doing something. One is built next to a massive wind farm. Because as much as everyone preaches more wind and solar, the demand and power does not always line up with when the wind is blowing and sun is blazing.

For reference of a member with one...
Post in thread 'Ryobi Zero-Turn Mower SLA to LiFePo4 Conversion - (Updated - Build Complete With Pics!)' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/r...ed-build-complete-with-pics.22922/post-349628

For reference of a member with one...

Yes, i have been following that thread

"Just got done with the first cut. Had 58% battery left after 1.25 acres!"

In any case, I am not about to go out and buy a new mower when the gas one I have works just fine (and I don't live in CA anymore).

I sure will...
I am on the lookout for one used. There are a few near me for sale New old stock, but I'm hoping to find one used. A tad out of my budget for now.

Back