diy solar

diy solar

gas strut tilting solar rack on sprinter van!

Vision.Urban.Reed

Hope this helps someone! Maybe this kind of project is pretty run-of-the-mill, but I couldn't really find anything like this when I was visualising what I would personally make. SO, I would like to contribute to this community, as it has helps me so much in my own journey so far. I typed out a super long explanation of each step, but I then accidentally pressed "back" on the browser, and lost everything, SO I have decided to just make this a photo story, I feel like you can probably get the idea of the thinking behind these steps by seeing the photos alone. I am glad to answer questions, though! I still need to create a locking mechanism as well as a lifting solution while standing on the ground.

14 second youtube video showing the panels raising:

Attachments

• 02 20220709_203543-min.jpg
    02 20220709_203543-min.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 15 20221023_164613-min.jpg
    15 20221023_164613-min.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 46
  • 14 20221027_122752-min.jpg
    14 20221027_122752-min.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 11.png
    11.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 10.png
    10.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 09.5 20221023_164651-min.jpg
    09.5 20221023_164651-min.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 08.5 20220905_145222-min.jpg
    08.5 20220905_145222-min.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 4.4.png
    4.4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 4.1.png
    4.1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 03 20220614_202003-min.jpg
    03 20220614_202003-min.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks! I was concepting a very similar idea. I was thinking about a roof rack with understorage/deckworking. I had thought about using angle iron and cotter pins to allow for a slide adjustment on the legs allowing for panel angle adjustments. I wasn't sure how I was going to lift the weight. My thought was some kind of pully and come-a-long system. I like the idea of gas shocks! Nice!!

Are you considering any ways to cover it during transport? I had thought of maybe some kind of tarp setup but wasn't sure if it flapping in the wind might potentially damage the panels more than bugs or birds. My next thoughts were recessing it in the overhead rack framework a little. I'm curious what other solutions people have come up with to protect the investment.

Thanks! I was concepting a very similar idea. I was thinking about a roof rack with understorage/deckworking. I had thought about using angle iron and cotter pins to allow for a slide adjustment on the legs allowing for panel angle adjustments. I wasn't sure how I was going to lift the weight. My thought was some kind of pully and come-a-long system. I like the idea of gas shocks! Nice!!

Are you considering any ways to cover it during transport? I had thought of maybe some kind of tarp setup but wasn't sure if it flapping in the wind might potentially damage the panels more than bugs or birds. My next thoughts were recessing it in the overhead rack framework a little. I'm curious what other solutions people have come up with to protect the investment.
hey! I would love to see your idea via photos if you end up creating it. This process of idea osmosis-ing from the internet and applying our own ideas to this mix is so invigorating and exciting. I am just now entering the word of relays and I feel like Aladdin on my magic carpet, a whole new frikin world.

I have not yet considered covering it yet. My goal is to make everything I need to do involving the panels - up/down/clean/LockingDownForSafeDrivingOrHighWinds - accessible from the ground. I am installing two small linear actuators up there to push through the panel frames, one at the front and one the rear, through the angle iron on the drivers side , locking the whole thing in place. As far as a covering system goes, I am unsure how I would achieve this, with my hopes of staying on the ground also being achieved.

Spitballing ideas ***just for the sake of the idea, not because I think this is practical*** : I could imagine a passenger side ground level switch powering a pair of rotary actuators on the roof, both on one side of the vehicle, spinning a long "tarp collector rod", which is being fed from the other side by a spring loaded "tarp storage rod" which is under tension, keeping things tight and flat against the panels.

If you feel like sharing, what are your ideas?
And before you do the gas struts, do a search on youtube for linear actuator solar tilt first. I might end up re-imagining mine.

Looks good. This will turn into something you use all the time and you get significant power from.

I installed tilting panels but have only twice used them twice; the first two times I took them out and they have layed flat since. Takes me about an hour to undo and total redo 36 screws on six panels. The biggest reason I keep them down is the 35 knot winds that build up from calm over several minutes come each night at the place I stay. I'm afraid I'd wake up and the panel will have blown from the roof.

I thought of using something like this to make the process quicker, but 36 of these are pricey.
but I then accidentally pressed "back" on the browser, and lost everything,
This happens to me a bit. I just return to the post and refresh and after one to three nearly all my long winded post pops back up.

Update:
Looks good. This will turn into something you use all the time and you get significant power from.

I installed tilting panels but have only twice used them twice; the first two times I took them out and they have layed flat since. Takes me about an hour to undo and total redo 36 screws on six panels. The biggest reason I keep them down is the 35 knot winds that build up from calm over several minutes come each night at the place I stay. I'm afraid I'd wake up and the panel will have blown from the roof.

I thought of using something like this to make the process quicker, but 36 of these are pricey.

This happens to me a bit. I just return to the post and refresh and after one to three nearly all my long winded post pops back up.
I like the look of those. Would you use 36 of them all the way down the non-hinged sides of your tilting panels? Neutron bomb proof! Nice!

I might just be a tad slow, but could you help me understand why maybe 3 or 4 wouldn't work? Connected opposite the side of the hinges? I am imagining you intend these to be mechanical connectors, through the panels, and through an anchor point on the vehicle roof.

The one realm of wind that I still need to consider contending with, is when the panels are tilted up, and suddenly it is a windy day. I would then just pull them down, but, as you say, sometimes the wind can all of a sudden attempt to turn our panels into airplanes, at a whim.

Side note - In addition to the center locking / lifting bar that I have (since first posting this) added on, I have also bought two of these that will extend through both forward and rear panel frames, and through the angle iron supporting length beneath the panels, wired to a DPDT switch at the drivers area (reverse polarity for actuators). I will paint the tips of the actuators so the driver knows when they are fully through, and it is safe to drive. Same idea as yours, i assume, but maybe I am missing something regarding the sheer amount of connectors you are mentioning?

I have six 100 watt panels on my roof with these as the the tilt932C3711-CA81-4FD0-9EF5-DA63998F3336.jpeg
At least two of the screws and thumb nuts come out to tilt them up. Depending on the angle, an additional two come out. All need to at least be loosened and tightened with each raising and lowering. I do that six times, one fir each panel. Can take up to an hour.

Gas struts with some sort of quick release is much quicker and practical than what I describe above with six bolts and thumb screws per panel

I would think the one I pictured above is perfect for a fixed build where the panels are tilted three or four times a year. The frequent RVr won’t go through an hour set up and an hour tear down with each stop for a two or three day stay.

I agree there is so many ways to approach a project. It is great to have so many people to collaborate and bounce ideas back and forth with. I'm looking at sometime next year if we proceed with the idea. There is still a lot to consider before we make the leap. We are in the design and concept stage ourselves. There is a lot of downsizing we need to accomplish and then some house remodeling to better flip it when we are ready.

I like your idea of a roll up. It could double as the awning when parked then fold over the top when mobile.

Back