diy solar

diy solar

G'day from Australia

Dave_In_Australia

Hi all!

My wife and I have recently purchased a 20 YO caravan (I don't know what you call these elsewhere, but it would probably be an Airstream in the US?)

The existing system is very basic with a mains 240V outlet that feeds a transformer (mains voltage down to 12V that feeds a few LED lights and a 1,000W inverter. That's basically it!

I'll be installing 2 x 120Ah LiFePO4 batteries, Victron DC-DC, MPPT and Mains chargers, a Victron Lynx Distributor and 2 x 250W solar panels on the roof. I've been watching heaps of YT videos and have a much better idea of how to go about it now, but some of the finer aspects are still a bit of a mystery!

I look forward to learning!
Dave

20210202_124913.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

That would be a travel trailer here in the U.S.

A buddy of mine in Taz says you folks pay out the nose for those things.

No inverter?

G’day mate, post up any questions you have here.
If you haven’t already purchased the batteries i’d suggest building your own pack out of individual cells and a BMS.

Travel trailer, huh? Yeah, they're caravans here.
Yes, they're not cheap. This one cost us $18k 2nd-hand and the equivalent in a new van (21-foot with ensuite shower & toilet) would probably set you back around $60k at present, mainly due to the "COVID Tax" and the fact that all those Aussies who'd normally be winging their way overseas are hitting the highways instead.
All our "stuff" is expensive too. We have higher wages than the US, but our dollar doesn't buy nearly as much and our prices are high. Small market (around 25 million) and high freight costs.
I thought about building my own, but for some reason, they're really expensive here, despite our close proximity to China.
We don't really have a requirement for an inverter at this stage, but might add one later.
Thanks all for the welcome!
Dave.

welcome!
Yup.
Here we call them travel trailers, or just trailers in some places. Airstream is a particular design polished aluminum tube shaped travel trailer.

$18THOUSAND for a 20year old trailer!!!
wow...
Here they are cheap... that one would likely be less than 5 grand ...
I see several for sale near me for under 3grand.
$18 buys a DRIVING DIESEL less than 10 years old... with pop out sections.

Here is an ad for an airstream.
Yeah, we are somewhat familiar with the Airstreams here in Australia, given our huge appetite for all things American! They certainly are an awesome looking machine. Do they still make them new?

The cost of RV's (aka travel trailer) and diesel pickups has really gone through the roof in the past year. Guys are getting almost what they paid for a 3 year old diesel F-350 on trade in. It's so bad that buying used is almost a waste of time. Some dealers aren't dealing much off of MSRP.

The RV situation is almost as bad. I paid $8500 for my bumper pull toy hauler (11k GVWR) four years ago. Excluding all the PV/battery improvements I made, I could have sold it for over $10k and had a line waiting at my door. Supply and demand.

Dave, Victron equipment is good stuff! It's odd seeing a trailer with the door on the wrong side.
crazy.gif

I do have an 89 international cab over car hauler with the IH IDI 7.3 and a 5speed manual transmission...

The cost of RV's (aka travel trailer) and diesel pickups has really gone through the roof in the past year. Guys are getting almost what they paid for a 3 year old diesel F-350 on trade in. It's so bad that buying used is almost a waste of time. Some dealers aren't dealing much off of MSRP.

The RV situation is almost as bad. I paid $8500 for my bumper pull toy hauler (11k GVWR) four years ago. Excluding all the PV/battery improvements I made, I could have sold it for over $10k and had a line waiting at my door. Supply and demand.

Dave, Victron equipment is good stuff! It's odd seeing a trailer with the door on the wrong side.
crazy.gif
Our prices are crazy too, and just try getting a new car with some brands! They either have a massive waiting list or refuse to do a deal because they know they've basically got a line of people out the door waiting.

The caravan situation is, if anything, even worse. Our biggest manufacturer - Jayco - with roughly 50% of the market, has a waiting list nearly a year long. Consequently, they've had to employ 200+ extra staff and quality control has gone through the floor. It was never great, but their warranty has always been excellent. Build quality is so poor in some cases that they're giving full refunds! I sold a 2012 Toyota Hilux pickup last October and basically put a stupid price on it and sat back and refused to take any less. It sold in three days. In retrospect, I should've asked more :cool:

I love the Victron gear and the fact it's accessible via Bluetooth and can be networked so easily makes it a no-brainer for me.

Door on the wrong side? Nah, it's on that side because we drive on the correct side of the road - the left! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Dave, welcome aboard. I've got a very similar van, 2001 Westport 18ft. Yours looks like it's the opposite configuration to mine? My double bed is at the draw bar and the door is at the rear. I've only been able to fit one house panel on mine (I'm guessing yours is bigger than an 18ft'r?) as there isn't much room on my roof, but goes ok through a Victron 100/20 controller. First thing I did was remove the 240v stepdown transformer and replaced it with a battery, fusebox and 240v charger (mine never had a battery!). Then behind the kick panel for the stepdown transformer fuses, I made up a plate and put all my switch's, master 12v power on/off, solar, diesel heater etc there. Works well except for the fact I've gotta get down on my hands and knees at the start and end of any trip away, to turn it all on or off, lol. It's been an on going project for a couple of years now and look forward to seeing how you go with yours! Peter
Ps happy to answer any questions you might have mate, cheers

Hi Peter,
It's great to chat with someone who has what is probably the identical (original) system who will understand my queries!
Yeah, this is a 21-footer. Our bed is toward the back and is east/west with the shower in one rear corner, the toilet in the opposite corner and a cupboard in between. The door is at the front and you enter straight into the kitchenette/dining area. The area labelled "Couch (Electrical Cupboard)" is where all the electrical gubbins are at present and where the new stuff will go. Immediately behind that is a cabinet that contains the compressor for the split-system air-con (took me a while to get my head around that - I thought the A/C was just a window-rattler!)

I'm assuming that everything "after" the step-down transformer is 12V? If I can identify where the wires go, I should be able to run those through a fuse-panel? Or is there already and existing fuse-panel somewhere. I'm looking at a Blue Seas Systems 12-fuse panel if I need one.

Just to explain, we've just sold our house, so I had to move the van out to our sons place as it was taking up most of the front lawn and doing nasty things to the grass! We're moving back to our unit in a couple of weeks and I'll bring the van back and get into the reno's with a vengeance. We're planning on heading off on a three-month trip in May, so time is short!

The existing inverter system setup is amazing. It has a 1,000W pure sine wave inverter which was being powered by a couple of 12V lead-acid batteries that were mounted, wait for it......, on opposite ends of the rear bumper bar! The voltage-drop on the dinky little wires he was using must have been epic! :) I've decided not to install an inverter at this stage. I'm aiming to keep it (relatively) simple and stick to a pure 12V system. The only thing the 240V will be used for is to run the A/C when hooked up to the mains.

There are a couple of old, mismatched and rather small solar panels on the roof which will be replaced with something in the 400-500W range. Whether these will be 12V or 24V, a couple of large panels or multiple smaller ones, house or RV panels, or what exactly, is all up in the air at the moment. I'm planning on having a decent sized Victron MPPT charger, so I will have a bit of headroom. I need to get up on top of the van and measure it all up and work out what I can fit up there. I know there are a few vents here and there.... hopefully they won't interfere too badly.

The other option, and probably worthwhile for the longer off-grid stays, is adding a decent folding panel as and when required. I was thinking I could mount an Anderson Plug on the drawbar so I can put the panel either side and move it around as required. I'm not sure if I would run that through the Victron MPPT or just keep it simple and use the inbuilt regulator on the panel and hook it straight up to the positive bus bar. At least that way, I could use if for other purposes, such as trickle-charging the car battery.

What battery are you running? I was originally going to install AGM's but have now decided on a couple of 100Ah Lithiums. The advantages are huge and whilst expensive initially, the lifetime cost is much lower than AGM. Our main current draw will be a 138 litre Brass Monkey 12V fridge that only draws a peak of 3.8A. Other than that, it'll mainly be the water-pump, LED lights, USB charging points and a couple of small 12V fans.

I'd initially planned on having a 240V charger to keep the batteries topped-off, which would be ideal for the AGM's, but apparently Lithiums are happier being left at around 50-60% when not in use for extended periods. If completely disconnected from the system, they consume next to nothing, so can be left unattended for months. Even if they do discharge, the battery won't be damaged - might just need to be "woken up".

I am fitting a Victron DC-DC charger via Anderson Plug from the car. When actually on the road, I'd expect to pull into camp each night with a fully charged battery bank, what with the 12V from the car and the solar panels.

Anyway, enough of my blathering! I look forward to further discussions! ;)

Take care,
Dave

Attachments

• Floorplan.jpg
    Floorplan.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210320_153326.jpg
    20210320_153326.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi Peter,
It's great to chat with someone who has what is probably the identical (original) system who will understand my queries!
Yeah, this is a 21-footer. Our bed is toward the back and is east/west with the shower in one rear corner, the toilet in the opposite corner and a cupboard in between. The door is at the front and you enter straight into the kitchenette/dining area. The area labelled "Couch (Electrical Cupboard)" is where all the electrical gubbins are at present and where the new stuff will go. Immediately behind that is a cabinet that contains the compressor for the split-system air-con (took me a while to get my head around that - I thought the A/C was just a window-rattler!)

I'm assuming that everything "after" the step-down transformer is 12V? If I can identify where the wires go, I should be able to run those through a fuse-panel? Or is there already and existing fuse-panel somewhere. I'm looking at a Blue Seas Systems 12-fuse panel if I need one.

Just to explain, we've just sold our house, so I had to move the van out to our sons place as it was taking up most of the front lawn and doing nasty things to the grass! We're moving back to our unit in a couple of weeks and I'll bring the van back and get into the reno's with a vengeance. We're planning on heading off on a three-month trip in May, so time is short!

The existing inverter system setup is amazing. It has a 1,000W pure sine wave inverter which was being powered by a couple of 12V lead-acid batteries that were mounted, wait for it......, on opposite ends of the rear bumper bar! The voltage-drop on the dinky little wires he was using must have been epic! :) I've decided not to install an inverter at this stage. I'm aiming to keep it (relatively) simple and stick to a pure 12V system. The only thing the 240V will be used for is to run the A/C when hooked up to the mains.

There are a couple of old, mismatched and rather small solar panels on the roof which will be replaced with something in the 400-500W range. Whether these will be 12V or 24V, a couple of large panels or multiple smaller ones, house or RV panels, or what exactly, is all up in the air at the moment. I'm planning on having a decent sized Victron MPPT charger, so I will have a bit of headroom. I need to get up on top of the van and measure it all up and work out what I can fit up there. I know there are a few vents here and there.... hopefully they won't interfere too badly.

The other option, and probably worthwhile for the longer off-grid stays, is adding a decent folding panel as and when required. I was thinking I could mount an Anderson Plug on the drawbar so I can put the panel either side and move it around as required. I'm not sure if I would run that through the Victron MPPT or just keep it simple and use the inbuilt regulator on the panel and hook it straight up to the positive bus bar. At least that way, I could use if for other purposes, such as trickle-charging the car battery.

What battery are you running? I was originally going to install AGM's but have now decided on a couple of 100Ah Lithiums. The advantages are huge and whilst expensive initially, the lifetime cost is much lower than AGM. Our main current draw will be a 138 litre Brass Monkey 12V fridge that only draws a peak of 3.8A. Other than that, it'll mainly be the water-pump, LED lights, USB charging points and a couple of small 12V fans.

I'd initially planned on having a 240V charger to keep the batteries topped-off, which would be ideal for the AGM's, but apparently Lithiums are happier being left at around 50-60% when not in use for extended periods. If completely disconnected from the system, they consume next to nothing, so can be left unattended for months. Even if they do discharge, the battery won't be damaged - might just need to be "woken up".

I am fitting a Victron DC-DC charger via Anderson Plug from the car. When actually on the road, I'd expect to pull into camp each night with a fully charged battery bank, what with the 12V from the car and the solar panels.

Anyway, enough of my blathering! I look forward to further discussions! ;)

Take care,
Dave
That's a lot to take in lol! Your van is a lot different to mine but has the same box under the couch where I put my battery and removed the step down converter. This is where I would be putting your battery as all your 12v wiring should start in that area, and also have a power 240v point? I'll have to get back to you on some of the other to things you've mentioned in your post but I'm away atm, I maybe able to reply later tonight or I'll be home in a day or two.. have you looked at the renogy au website? They have a sale on today with there 170ah lithium battery for $1080 after discount. I believe it's a good start and would probably be all you need for the future! Plus your time frame is so tight!

Hi Dave, welcome aboard. I've got a very similar van, 2001 Westport 18ft. Yours looks like it's the opposite configuration to mine? My double bed is at the draw bar and the door is at the rear. I've only been able to fit one house panel on mine (I'm guessing yours is bigger than an 18ft'r?) as there isn't much room on my roof, but goes ok through a Victron 100/20 controller. First thing I did was remove the 240v stepdown transformer and replaced it with a battery, fusebox and 240v charger (mine never had a battery!). Then behind the kick panel for the stepdown transformer fuses, I made up a plate and put all my switch's, master 12v power on/off, solar, diesel heater etc there. Works well except for the fact I've gotta get down on my hands and knees at the start and end of any trip away, to turn it all on or off, lol. It's been an on going project for a couple of years now and look forward to seeing how you go with yours! Peter
Ps happy to answer any questions you might have mate, cheers
Hi Peter. I was wondering if you could tell me where this kick panel and the stepdown transformer fuses are? I can see the stepdown box and a bunch of wires coming out of the front, and I was wondering if they were fused or not! :)

Back