diy solar

diy solar

G'day from Australia

Hi Peter. I was wondering if you could tell me where this kick panel and the stepdown transformer fuses are? I can see the stepdown box and a bunch of wires coming out of the front, and I was wondering if they were fused or not! :)
Hey Dave, sorry for the late reply mate! My kick panel is in front of the box under the lounge at floor level, like in your 2nd pic. When the step down converter was still there you opened the cover and there were 5 fuses, all the vans 12v wiring ran into the back of the converter. Yours looks like it's already been removed or very different to mine? I took the converter out and made up a face plate to cover the hole and put my solar and main power isolation switch's etc there. Put a battery in and ran all the original 12v wiring to a fuse block, then added a 240v charger, I run everything except for the 240v stuff straight off the battery nowIMG_20210419_122908.jpgIMG_20210419_122921.jpg
IMG_20210419_123947.jpg

Last edited:
Hi mate!
Thanks for getting back to me, really appreciate it :)

I've blown-up that photo from my last post.... it's very crappy quality now, but do you reckon this could be the box you're talking about that contains the fuses?

20210320_153215a.jpg

My van doesn't have the cut-out in the front of the box, so perhaps I have an earlier model of converter? Van's still at our son's place, but we're moving back to our unit next week now the house is sold and I'll finally be able to get stuck-in and get some work done!

Anyway, hopefully I can locate the fuses and then just transfer said wires to the new fuse panel and use the same amperage fuse. If I run out of spots for fuses, I'll just add another panel I guess! ;)

Thanks again mate and I'll let you know how I go.

Hey mate, sorry I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in that pic! You would need to find some markings on it so you could google what it is. Is it connected to a 240v wall socket, it might be a charger?
I had a Centurion system similar to this one in the pic, with fuses to the right above the fan, and was quite heavy. Are you sure there's not a fuse block or inline fuses near your batteries?
IMG_20210420_090147.jpg

Oh wow! Yeah, that's completely different to what I've got. I've just got that little grey box and, yes, I think you might be right.... it's probably a transformer or power supply of some sort.
Anyway, I get the van back this weekend, so more investigation methinks! :) I'll have to try and decipher what's what and where it all goes. Surely there must some fuses somewhere.
Thanks you for your help mate!
Cheers!

Back