diy solar

diy solar

Generac 15kw 2 wire auto start help

DEEP WOODS WARNERS

Model Number: 0047602
Description: OBS-15KW HSB GUARDIAN NO SW
Inverter: growatt spf 6000t dvm
Batteris (16) lishen 272ah setup to 48vdc

I'm using as a off grid generator backup.
I want the generator to start when the growatt tells the generator that voltage is low and to shut off when the battery bank is fully charged.
Alot of backup generators have the 2 wire ability. But this one is a 2006. So it may not.
Iv been searching everywhere for info on this including emailing generac with no response.
Iv heard of a control box for this but can't find one or a link for one.
I'd be greatfull for any info. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20210619_192327.jpg
    20210619_192327.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210619_192347.jpg
    20210619_192347.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210619_192408.jpg
    20210619_192408.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 42
You might try to find a local company that installs and maintains generators. They might help.

Do you have any manual on the generator?
Any sign of a wiring diagram inside the cover near the electrical connections?

2-wire start is the old old standard and it's likely what you have.... There will be two small wires that normally go between the generator and transfer switch....and if you touch and hold them together the generator should start and stay running till you separate the two wires...

You might try to find a local company that installs and maintains generators. They might help.

Do you have any manual on the generator?
Any sign of a wiring diagram inside the cover near the electrical connections?
No unfortunately not.

2-wire start is the old old standard and it's likely what you have.... There will be two small wires that normally go between the generator and transfer switch....and if you touch and hold them together the generator should start and stay running till you separate the two wires...
Any idea of colors?

Any idea of colors?

This looks like it might be the manual. (one of the worst ones I have ever seen for this type stuff -it shows wiring for multiple models but doesn't label them)
Page 33 or 37 or 39 or 41 all show the "12 VDC Transfer relay coil" This is the connection to have the transfer switch tell the generator to start.
Normally you connect those 2 together and the generator should start. But it is not labeled clear enough to be 100% sure. (it appears like it has a manual switch - does it start with this?)

I have worked with automatic transfer switches and am familiar with this stuff a little as I build my own 50KW generator with a 40HP Diesel Engine and 200amp automatic transfer switch but not Generac....

Good Luck.

Im

This looks like it might be the manual. (one of the worst ones I have ever seen for this type stuff -it shows wiring for multiple models but doesn't label them)
Page 33 or 37 or 39 or 41 all show the "12 VDC Transfer relay coil" This is the connection to have the transfer switch tell the generator to start.
Normally you connect those 2 together and the generator should start. But it is not labeled clear enough to be 100% sure. (it appears like it has a manual switch - does it start with this?)

I have worked with automatic transfer switches and am familiar with this stuff a little as I build my own 50KW generator with a 40HP Diesel Engine and 200amp automatic transfer switch but not Generac....

Good Luck.
It dose have a 3 position rocker switch. Auto/off/manual.
I'm understanding from other sites there should be a 2 wire connection in the generator housing itself.
This generator requires and external transfer switch. But my growatt has one already and it works great. We currently use a harbor freight 9kw generator as a backup source to charge our 48v backup batteries and as a backup power source.
But its a bit to small and I would like alittle more automation to help my family alittle.

Im

It dose have a 3 position rocker switch. Auto/off/manual.
I'm understanding from other sites there should be a 2 wire connection in the generator housing itself.
This generator requires and external transfer switch. But my growatt has one already and it works great. We currently use a harbor freight 9kw generator as a backup source to charge our 48v backup batteries and as a backup power source.
But its a bit to small and I would like alittle more automation to help my family alittle.
As stated the connection is shown on pages 33,37,39, and 41....Not sure why it would require a transfer switch to function.

Depending on the Growatt you have the Gen could be the grid input.

Correct. But the manual you showed didn't look like it was my model. I looked through it a few times. I'll look again.
made any progress ? I have the same generator and the same issue . the 2 wire is under the cover with "warning warning" . but those 2 wires are looking for grid tied 240v . other information on these generac units have pointed to a jumper wire placed somehwre internal to change from looking for 240v to just open / closed , or could it be the 12vdc transfer relay coil right next the 2 wire N1 N2. I think regardless of the charge controller having an auto transfer built it . it doesn't really drop the load on gen or apply load. I have an mppsolar LV6048 so this would still be a concern for me but that's down the road for now

Attachments

• generac.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 32
  • generac-2-wire.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
made any progress ? I have the same generator and the same issue . the 2 wire is under the cover with "warning warning" . but those 2 wires are looking for grid tied 240v . other information on these generac units have pointed to a jumper wire placed somehwre internal to change from looking for 240v to just open / closed , or could it be the 12vdc transfer relay coil right next the 2 wire N1 N2. I think regardless of the charge controller having an auto transfer built it . it doesn't really drop the load on gen or apply load. I have an mppsolar LV6048 so this would still be a concern for me but that's down the road for now
Right now I have a repair guy trying to convert mine to 2 wire. He said mine isn't able to be switched very easy and may swap me for a newer 20kw that is 2 wire ready.

I'm told my generator won't do 2 wire without upgrading some parts. My repair guy said he would gladly do it, but has yet to do anything. So I'm back to the beginning.

New to the board so this is my first post. I'm a Generac tech and I do not think that model has two wire start capabilities. The models after can be configured for two wire or utility sense triggered.

You have a few options. One, mod it with an aftermarket controller. The boards in that model are expensive and wont do what you want them too. Its mechanically governed so you only need to figure out alternator fielding which should be easy.

Two, figure out a way to trigger 240v going to the utility sense circuit. When that voltage drops below a threshold, the unit starts. If you have or can generate 240v feed it into a relay that opens when your inverter calls for gen starting.

Good luck, that unit is very old and barely supported.

New to the board so this is my first post. I'm a Generac tech and I do not think that model has two wire start capabilities. The models after can be configured for two wire or utility sense triggered.

You have a few options. One, mod it with an aftermarket controller. The boards in that model are expensive and wont do what you want them too. Its mechanically governed so you only need to figure out alternator fielding which should be easy.

Two, figure out a way to trigger 240v going to the utility sense circuit. When that voltage drops below a threshold, the unit starts. If you have or can generate 240v feed it into a relay that opens when your inverter calls for gen starting.

Good luck, that unit is very old and barely supported.
Or I can upgrade the board from a used gen the next model up that is 2 wire and mechanical gov.
I just found this out. So I'm looking for the parts now. Any ideas of were to look?

Or I can upgrade the board from a used gen the next model up that is 2 wire and mechanical gov.
I just found this out. So I'm looking for the parts now. Any ideas of were to look?
You would be well over $1,000 just for a newer controller and the harness to go with it. I don't think it would be worth it plus the newer models past yours are electronically governed with the bigger engines.

Honestly a lot of these generators that I see in the field require very expensive repairs or the parts are discontinued. They use many different circuit boards for each task and are very complex.

Just off the top of my head, I believe that model has an aluminum box that controls voltage regulation. So in theory if you can get the engine to run that box will take care of the voltage output. The engine is mechanically governed and has magneto ignition so as long as you apply 12 volts to the fuel solenoid and crank the engine over, it will stay running at the correct speed and make the correct voltage on its own.

If you are crafty, you could probably make an aftermarket controller that cost less than $100 run this unit way better than all of the factory control boards for your application.

You would be well over $1,000 just for a newer controller and the harness to go with it. I don't think it would be worth it plus the newer models past yours are electronically governed with the bigger engines.

Honestly a lot of these generators that I see in the field require very expensive repairs or the parts are discontinued. They use many different circuit boards for each task and are very complex.

Just off the top of my head, I believe that model has an aluminum box that controls voltage regulation. So in theory if you can get the engine to run that box will take care of the voltage output. The engine is mechanically governed and has magneto ignition so as long as you apply 12 volts to the fuel solenoid and crank the engine over, it will stay running at the correct speed and make the correct voltage on its own.

If you are crafty, you could probably make an aftermarket controller that cost less than $100 run this unit way better than all of the factory control boards for your application.
I agree. But I'm also seeing used parts gens in my area going cheap. So if I found a used board and harness for the next model up my issue would be fixed and I'd save buying a new one for 4k.
This gen only has 400 hours.
I like the fuel solenoid idea. Mind working with me on this idea?

First thing I would do is pull the main control board and look at the rocker switch. I'm guessing if you take the two contacts on the manual side of the switch and run them through the switched contacts on the inverter the generator will think you are pressing the rocker when the inverter calls for gen power.

Back