diy solar

diy solar

Generac 200A Whole house transfer switch

EPicTony

Solar Enthusiast
I currently have a 16kw Generac generator and an automatic whole house transfer switch (200A).
I'm wondering if I can change the transfer switch generator input and use my invertor ac power output instead. This would save me from adding multiple 10 circuit reliance transfer switches. My system is 20kw pv panels, 30kwh battery and 3 EG4 6500w inverters split phase.
The generac transfer switch can be manually actuated instead of automatic like is is now.
Am I fooling myself thinking my solar system can power the whole house??? My normal consumption is 30kwhr/day off of the grid.
I understand using the whole house transfer switch is an all or nothing scenario. Looking for some advice on this from more experienced users.
Thanks

If you are using only 30kWh per day and have 3 inverters theoretically what you are proposing should work quite well although you did not mention what your peak kW power requirements are regarding high surge current appliances like an AC condenser(s) or a well pump. You could practice some manual load control if necessary and/or add soft starters to any induction motors. With 3 inverters you could use something like a Midnight
Solar combiner box with 3 appropriate breakers and a "finger style" bus bar to make the 3 to 1 connection to the transfer switch input.

I would guess utility power is connected to the other input terminal of the transfer switch leaving the AC Input(s) of the 3 inverters available to connect the Generac? A Midnight Solar combiner box could also be used to make the 1 to 3 connection from the Generac to the 3 individual inverters.

Our 200A main panel is being fed directly with 1 Schneider XW+ 6848 in Pass-Thru mode most of the time. Our electricity usage is similar to yours, a little more in the summer with AC being used quite a bit. If the power goes out we just have to be aware and not use AC, both electric ovens, toaster, microwave and coffee maker all at the same time. Since the Schneider has 2 AC Inputs and an internal transfer switch we our set up is similar, but not exactly the same as yours.

I have a new (they came out last year) generac transfer switch specifically for solar. I didn't install it myself but I was told that it can have both generator and solar and that you can have the solar inverter turn the generator on automatically when the battery hits a certain point. I know mine has a generator start output on it but haven't actually tried it. Link to general's website below. I didn't see anything in the manual about it but the wiring diagram does show the generator start terminals.

I have a new (they came out last year) generac transfer switch specifically for solar. I didn't install it myself but I was told that it can have both generator and solar and that you can have the solar inverter turn the generator on automatically when the battery hits a certain point. I know mine has a generator start output on it but haven't actually tried it. Link to general's website below. I didn't see anything in the manual about it but the wiring diagram does show the generator start terminals.

I don't like running the Generac generator, last time I ran it I figured out from LP usage that it was costing me $3/hr to run !!!!! (18kw unit)

I currently have a 16kw Generac generator and an automatic whole house transfer switch (200A).
I'm wondering if I can change the transfer switch generator input and use my invertor ac power output instead. This would save me from adding multiple 10 circuit reliance transfer switches. My system is 20kw pv panels, 30kwh battery and 3 EG4 6500w inverters split phase.
The generac transfer switch can be manually actuated instead of automatic like is is now.
Am I fooling myself thinking my solar system can power the whole house??? My normal consumption is 30kwhr/day off of the grid.
I understand using the whole house transfer switch is an all or nothing scenario. Looking for some advice on this from more experienced users.
Thanks
Yes this works fine but you will have to manually switch it. I am doing this with two EG4 6500's but have kept the ability to use the generator as well.

Last edited:
Yes this works fine but you will have to manually switch it. I am doing this with two EG4 6500's but have kept the ability to use the generator as well.
If I really need the generator, I will have to switch the inputs on the transfer switch from solar to generator - a 5 min job. The generator wires are still in the ATS box, just not connected.

Back