diy solar

diy solar

Generator for Aims 120 VAC 24 VDC converter model # CON120AC12/24VDC

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
I would like to get the Aims Converter that Will recommends, the Aims 120 VAC to 12/24 VDC Converter model #CON120AC12/24VDC. This will be for an RV installation.

Can this be run by a 2300 watt continuous, 3000 watt peak inverter generator?

I see that this has a 15 amp plug, and needs to be connected to at least a 10 amp AC breaker, so I would think so. These converters do not have big motors that spin so I don't expect a large locked rotor amperage, but I don't want to be in a cloudy day and fire up my generator to replenish the batteries to find out that this won't work with an RV. 24 volts and 37.5 amps of charging is about as much as I'm going to get out of a 120 VAC converter before I need to go to 20 amps or make the jump to 240 VAC.

EDIT: For any others thinking of this, here is a link to the owners manual:

I'm trying to buy that converter now. It is out of stock everywhere. I'm considering ordering it from Missouri solar to lock in the $229 price. It will easily run on your generator. Some have used 1000w generators and turned the amperage down to 50amps and it works. I think you need a switch if hard wired because of parasitic draw when not in use.

It is out of stock everywhere. I'm considering ordering it from Missouri solar to lock in the $229 price.
I don’t know the site, but I was going to order this off Will’s site and it says 30 day back order. My batteries could be six weeks out from being deliverer.

I'm considering ordering it from Missouri solar to lock in the $229 price
Aims on their website has a price of $303 on their website backorder only; Will's link to Current Connect has them for $263 on backorder; and your Missouri Wind and Solar has them for $229.

I have seen some companies quick to raise prices on their website, but other places that distribute their product takes some time to update. At this point its how cheap do I want to get an item and have to deal with the possibility of a backorder or an order cancelation. I've had a couple of order cancelations lately when not ordering direct form the company. I wonder who Aims will honor first. Their customers or distributors.

Aims on their website has a price of $303 on their website backorder only; Will's link to Current Connect has them for $263 on backorder; and your Missouri Wind and Solar has them for $229.

I have seen some companies quick to raise prices on their website, but other places that distribute their product takes some time to update. At this point its how cheap do I want to get an item and have to deal with the possibility of a backorder or an order cancelation. I've had a couple of order cancelations lately when not ordering direct form the company. I wonder who Aims will honor first. Their customers or distributors.
I'm going to ask them if I buy now is the price locked in. I'm not going to need it that often but if I have to run the generator eu2000 I would like to keep it to an hour or so.

I used one of these for about 8 weeks and although I never monitored the AC side, the DC output ramped up over a 5-10 second curve. Not sure if that qualifies as a soft start but it's certainly not hammering the generator with a full load all at once. You won't have any problem with a 2000 watt generator.

I ordered from AIMS and the converter was delivered, but never turned on, and buzzed. I returned it, at my expense and they are troubleshooting.

A shame cause I ended up charging the 560 ah of batteries with solar power prior to top balancing. Took 8 days with a 15 amp SCC and limited sunshine. Would have finished in a day with the aims.

Back