diy solar

diy solar

Generator for mpp solar lvx 6048?

So I'm going to stay yes you probably could connect it to the solar input.
But I don't know why you would.
The battery manufacturer states to charge the cells to 3.65 v and wait until the amps drop to less than 0.05c so if you have a 280Ah pack that would be less than 14 amps.

Personally what I would do is set the power supply to around 56.4 and then when the current falls below the 10A, terminate the charge.

Small Honda inverter generator. New 3600 fuel injection model is out. Paired with a EG4 25a 120VAC to 48VDC battery charger to keep the batteries charged.

This is an old thread, but I wanted to add my experience for anyone it may help. I have two lvx6048 in parallel. I started with an old traditional generator 7kw (240v). It ran pretty stable and the low current setting I tried was not much to impact running speed. While the inverters would use the generator input to charge batteries, it would not combine with solar to do so. It seems that it was just not clean enough for it to combine the sources. I switched to a dual fuel inverter generator around 8kw, and it charges along with the solar just fine. In fact it often works even when set to low idle mode, but not always.

My current issue is trying to get the inverters to start the generator. I don't want to rewire the generator as it is me and cost about 2k. However it has a remote control, and I'm planning to connect relays to make contacts to the buttons on the remote. My problem is that the generator remote needs as signal for two seconds and then to stop, whereas the inverter will keep a signal output until voltage has recovered. Sustaining the command to the button will drain the remote battery quickly. So I'm currently trying to design a circuit to manage this.

This is an old thread, but I wanted to add my experience for anyone it may help. I have two lvx6048 in parallel. I started with an old traditional generator 7kw (240v). It ran pretty stable and the low current setting I tried was not much to impact running speed. While the inverters would use the generator input to charge batteries, it would not combine with solar to do so. It seems that it was just not clean enough for it to combine the sources. I switched to a dual fuel inverter generator around 8kw, and it charges along with the solar just fine. In fact it often works even when set to low idle mode, but not always.

My current issue is trying to get the inverters to start the generator. I don't want to rewire the generator as it is me and cost about 2k. However it has a remote control, and I'm planning to connect relays to make contacts to the buttons on the remote. My problem is that the generator remote needs as signal for two seconds and then to stop, whereas the inverter will keep a signal output until voltage has recovered. Sustaining the command to the button will drain the remote battery quickly. So I'm currently trying to design a circuit to manage this.
I have no experience with small electronics but I understand the 'pluse' idea. It's used to energize Shunt-Trip relays.

A little googling on pulse keywords etc found this - https://www.mrs-electronics.com/products/detail/pulse-relay-adjustable-12v
Maybe there's something you can buy - an adjustable relay that opens after a few seconds that you can set?

Also, thinking out load / off-the-cuff (forgive me). Maybe you could do 2 relays where the 1st one closes the circuit / starts the generator and as soon as the generator start's making power it powers a 2nd one that opens it's contacts breaking the start connection. When the generator stops - the 2nd one will reset. That leaves the question resetting the 1st one - maybe based on battery charge voltage difference of 1/2 a volt? Not sure how the 1st relay is engages and battery voltage diff may be problematic as the criteria to reset rely #1 - but I'm sure you get the thought - e.g. use the generator running power as a way to reset.

Last edited:
My current issue is trying to get the inverters to start the generator. I don't want to rewire the generator as it is me and cost about 2k.

I'm using a Switchbot to remotely control my generators. https://us.switch-bot.com/collections/all/products/switchbot-bot
I have not allowed the inverters to actually control the gen because there are a few times where the generator won't start on 1 button push. The system doesn't have the smarts to handle that and I don't want to risk having it make a mistake while I'm away. Controlling it manually also allows me to pick more efficient times to run the gen.

I'm using a Switchbot to remotely control my generators. https://us.switch-bot.com/collections/all/products/switchbot-bot
I have not allowed the inverters to actually control the gen because there are a few times where the generator won't start on 1 button push. The system doesn't have the smarts to handle that and I don't want to risk having it make a mistake while I'm away. Controlling it manually also allows me to pick more efficient times to run the gen.
Really cool looking product - thanks for sharing this.

What generators do you use?

What generators do you use?
I use Westinghouse iGen generators because they have a true 1 button start with an automatic choke. Some gens have a push button start, but they still require a manual choke. Westinghouse works great starting itself. I use an igen4500df connected to my 700 gal propane tank so no worries about the fuel source. My inverter is an LV5048 running 240V split phase; it will not accept the 120V single phase generator as a Utility input. I use a separate Growatt SPF3000 as a DC charger (and solar charge controller).

Back