diy solar

diy solar

Generator gods, purchase advice sought.

I'm near Algonquin Park out in the Wilds with deer, moose, bear & a huge flock of wild turkeys in my forest. Not to mention all the other critters....

I totally get ya on the 40 Year old Baggage carrier...

I know what you mean with your wife being so attached and all the memories that go with it but at some point both of you will have to make choices about what is best for you as a couple/family, and the memories you want for your family including your kids.

I use a Samlex EVO 4024, 24V/4000W with dual AC Inputs + DC Solar Input (Max 50A), although being offgrid, I only use 1 AC Generator Input but not the DC Solar Input. My Solar get's it's final update soon (when the S*** is gone) so it will be a Midnite Classic-200 and Midnite Classic-150 in parallel giving me 170A Charging Current from 2 solar arrays. The new Samlex 240V models came out last fall and I am not familiar with them.

BTW: I am Full Time Off-Grid and only run a 24V System that provides me with 120V. I presently do not have anything that needs 240V but when I built my place, I wired everything to be 240V ready. My life has changed a lot and now that I know I have some more years left ahead for me, the 240V Option may get exercised when a proper EV 4x4 Truck finally reaches our market space that suits my needs & requirements. I will NOT be buying another Petro Fuelled vehicle, so I will keep my Dodge Ram SLT till I can replace it with all electric.
You went 24v because that’s where things were at when you went solar, BUT you recommend 48v for most people correct?

are you familiar with the Kid charge controller from midnite? It’s 30A (enough for my needs, but can be paralleled if needed), fanless and appears to be good quality.

Both of my Champion gensets have out performed and outlasted my Honda...by a large margin.
I would buy a Champion over a Honda any day!
Whatever charging rate you decide on...double the genset wattage. You want your genset running at about 50% capacity for longevity and fuel efficiency. And that 50% mark gives you some headroom if an unexpected temporary need comes along.
Also, I would oversize all everything electrical between the genset and the system. Don't forget grounding issues.
I would look at dual fuel. Gasoline is fine...but has drawback. Propane runs at about 30% less energy but doesn't have long-term storage issues. I also would not use the smaller 5gal tanks. I am pushing 70 and have no problem handling the 25gal tanks.
When I bought my first Champion I asked their tech folks what parts wore out and/or failed most frequently and the PM parts...I bought a pare of each to have on hand. Served me well. I also followed their break-in process exactly...with one exception. I used Lucas Oil 10063 Engine Break-In Oil Additive - TB Zinc Plus. I also kept using it on each oil change. I have had zero issues in thousands of hours of genset running in all sort of terrible abusive weather conditions.

I’d appreciate seeing the list of parts that fail most frequently.

I have a KID Controller sitting on my shelf, it's going into the Toolshed, getting 2 QCell 395W Panels (all it needs) connected to a 24V/105AH pack and 3000W Pure Sine LF Inverter/Charger.

24V is fine for my application as was designed & planned in 2014 and carried through but I did provision for 240V to home if/when needed. The new situations in my life have opened up options & possibilities moving forward.
* I was diagnosed (incorrectly) as Terminal (cancers) in 2014 and given 5-7 years, last year, yr-8, I ended up in hospital and was but a few hours from being planted and through that entire disaster we discovered the diagnosis given in 2014 was 100% Bull Hooey. After getting out of Hospital and readjusting to the new reality my project is now changing with the new forward view for Maggie & I.

24V is perfectly fine if it can suit needs considering that 24V X 250A = 6000A or (120V/50A - 240V/25A) *uncorrected.
With an EV in my Future, 240V/40A for a Level-2 charger would be in the cards.
As I DIY'ed my battery packs and used JK-BMS that can do not only the 8S I have now, I can use them with 16S Config as well so that's an easy low cost switch, the only thing I have to "upgrade" is my Inverter System for 240V Split Phase.

Fast Forward to 2023 !
Product Availability and options are flourishing now compared to 10 years ago and at a considerably different Cost Point ! IF I was to build my system TODAY, it would certainly be 48VDC -> 240VAC right from the get go. But again I am Full Time Offgrid so it's a bit different than a Part Time Use property.

A Side Trip:
Given the explanations of that Family Circus - would it not be more prudent to just get a Solar Kit like a Bluetti (or similar) that you can hook up to a couple f panels or run a light genny to charge if/when needed ? Take the unit with you so noone abuses it and it stays safe. Land in Manitoba can be had for CHEAP and a 3-5 Acre property with nothing on it won't set you back much at all and tossing a small cabin / bunkie on it is not a big deal either and there are even different ways to do that which can be very cost effective. Now as a Parent I considered different options and ideas when I was planning my build and I chose to make sure that whatever we wanted to do was not going to be impinged by anyone else and that is the tack we took. I designed & built our home by myself, most of the material is locally sourced/produced using as little "commercial" products as possible, which kept my building costs considerably lower and I don't charge myself labour hours.

Feel Free to PM me for more private & detailed discussions which can get outside of this thread & forum even.
My build (home etc) is also partially detailed on another forum dedicated to Cabineering & Homesteading.

Steve

I have a KID Controller sitting on my shelf, it's going into the Toolshed, getting 2 QCell 395W Panels (all it needs) connected to a 24V/105AH pack and 3000W Pure Sine LF Inverter/Charger.

24V is fine for my application as was designed & planned in 2014 and carried through but I did provision for 240V to home if/when needed. The new situations in my life have opened up options & possibilities moving forward.
* I was diagnosed (incorrectly) as Terminal (cancers) in 2014 and given 5-7 years, last year, yr-8, I ended up in hospital and was but a few hours from being planted and through that entire disaster we discovered the diagnosis given in 2014 was 100% Bull Hooey. After getting out of Hospital and readjusting to the new reality my project is now changing with the new forward view for Maggie & I.

24V is perfectly fine if it can suit needs considering that 24V X 250A = 6000A or (120V/50A - 240V/25A) *uncorrected.
With an EV in my Future, 240V/40A for a Level-2 charger would be in the cards.
As I DIY'ed my battery packs and used JK-BMS that can do not only the 8S I have now, I can use them with 16S Config as well so that's an easy low cost switch, the only thing I have to "upgrade" is my Inverter System for 240V Split Phase.

Fast Forward to 2023 !
Product Availability and options are flourishing now compared to 10 years ago and at a considerably different Cost Point ! IF I was to build my system TODAY, it would certainly be 48VDC -> 240VAC right from the get go. But again I am Full Time Offgrid so it's a bit different than a Part Time Use property.

A Side Trip:
Given the explanations of that Family Circus - would it not be more prudent to just get a Solar Kit like a Bluetti (or similar) that you can hook up to a couple f panels or run a light genny to charge if/when needed ? Take the unit with you so noone abuses it and it stays safe. Land in Manitoba can be had for CHEAP and a 3-5 Acre property with nothing on it won't set you back much at all and tossing a small cabin / bunkie on it is not a big deal either and there are even different ways to do that which can be very cost effective. Now as a Parent I considered different options and ideas when I was planning my build and I chose to make sure that whatever we wanted to do was not going to be impinged by anyone else and that is the tack we took. I designed & built our home by myself, most of the material is locally sourced/produced using as little "commercial" products as possible, which kept my building costs considerably lower and I don't charge myself labour hours.

Feel Free to PM me for more private & detailed discussions which can get outside of this thread & forum even.
My build (home etc) is also partially detailed on another forum dedicated to Cabineering & Homesteading.

Steve
im glad the cancer diagnosis was incorrect, and (presumably) you are on an awesome path.

I did consider a lithium based “solar generator” ecofloJackery type box. I figured I could do better (put all my stuff on a handcart) and make my own. If I,choose high quality components they could be repurposed to a permanent installation. I did look at will’s “milk crate” power box.

families are funny, and so are “cabin people”. I didn’t grow up at the cabin. We were travelers, campers, flights, etc.

in my opinion the best cabin, in order Of preference is:

1: someone else’s cabin. Invite me out, I’ll bring the beer, lots of good food. I’ll cut your grass and even lend a hand on current projects.

2. A rented cabin. No fuss, no muss. Here’s my money, after my week or two here’s your keys. have fun painting, etc

3. Inherited cabin for free

4. Buy your cabin.

cabins are work. There’s a cost of doing business for the pleasure. Add a baggage carrier and that takes it to another level. Add to the fact it’s a small lake with ownership going back decades….. and no one likes the baggage carrier. Mum and wife would be horrified about what people actually thought
anyways I’ll take the rant offside. I’ll send you a pm. I’d like to pick your brain. You are truly off grid. Not ”I’m off grid” but actually are, you’re just not connected. Big difference.

when your place has nothing, and is boat access AND a baggage carrier it’s a unique experience.

Hydro Poles are 1km / $75,000 away and staying right where they are.
There is no "Natural Gas" here and no clue how far away that is and irrelevant.
3Rd Tier Road and deep inside 4x4 Country ! 2WD cars/Trucks are useless here in winter !! Few fools occasionally try - tow truck Recovery folks just adore them ! 2 weekends ago, a Citiot with a Honda thought he could drive his car on the snowmobile trails got about 1/2km into the bush and "firmly planted it", after the recovery from the crevasse it plunked into (about 75' deep), it was only good for Scrap Metal Only and NO Insurance cause Citiot ignored signs and took it off road... DERP FACEPALM ! Watching his GF or Wife Whack on him at the road was well worth the heavy laughter from the few of us who stopped to watch this entertainment unfurl. That bugger did get beat pretty good by his Mrs hahaha. I hafta assume that she saw the signs and was telling him not to and he did it anyway.... or maybe it was her car, dunno....

So when asked IF I am really offgrid, the answer is quite simple.

Answer #4 is the one that will give you freedom to do what you want for you and YOUR IMMEDIATE Family ! Don't consider the entire extended family because you'll stay stuck in that hole unless they change and grow up and take their share of responsibilities. The resentment Pile is already pretty high, is it worth adding to it ? Remember that in a war (aka life) you have to pick the battles you can win and walk away from those that are hopeless because if you don't, you are self-abusing and that can also destroy a good marriage over time too.

David poz did an unboxing of the eq4 chargeverter. Using his calculation formula (max charging, and most efficient charging, then taking an average) I came up with a 37.5 charging current for the 3200i.
Makes sense. It just depends on what you start with as the 'continous running watts'.

what are you using as a charger? If you were buying a genny today what would you buy?
I have several 48v@15a YZPOWER 120vac -> 48vdc chargers - https://www.ebay.com/itm/284647244994. They have at least 10% losses (● Efficiency: >87%). I can only run 2 of these on my eu3000is Honda - e.g. 30a @ 52v = 1500w of charging. I have another, smaller 48v@7a for a grand total of 37a = ~2000w total charging watts.

When I try 3 x YZPOWERs (e.g. 45a of charging) the Honda revs up/down - overload / not good.

I have a 121.5kwh battery bank. So, I'm setting up a Duel Fuel Champion 8000w Model #100297 - https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100297-8000-watt-dual-fuel-generator/ - in a back-yard shed (for noise). Chose this because of genexhaust kit - https://genexhaust.com/ - I could buy/bolt-on to vent exhaust outside the shed. My Honda eu3000is also has exhaust kit + propane adaptation and will live in the shed as well.

I'm installing 8 x YZPOWERs - e.g. 8 x 15a = 120a of charging. Each one is on it's own circuit breaker so I can choose... 15a, 30a, 45a, 60a, 75a, 90a, 105a, or 120a of charge. 120a * 58.8v = 7,056w which is near the max 7250w propane continuous running watts - so I can max charge OR dial back the the number of chargers for efficiency of fuel burn.

Wish I'd seen the @DavidPoz ChargeVerter-5000 product before I bought the YZPOWERs :)

My plan is to greatly reduce noise and achieve at least 5000w of charging I can run for 8hrs in a row without neighbors coming down on me.

Noise. The shed is 2 x 6 framing with R25 pink insulation and siding on the outside. Still pretty noisy outside the shed - kind of like the eu3000is noise level. Need a sound baffle at the exhaust port on the outside and haven't done drywall or double-drywall inside yet. Hoping to get the noise way down. Noise 'way down' is a flaky goal but I'll know it when I hear it :)

Last edited:
I use canned (trufuel, Aspen, etc) exclusively for storage, and things used infrequently (snowthrowers). It keeps forever. But I absolutely see the value in propane. It stores forever.

definately looking into these champion units. I always thought them to be a budget, low quality product.
I have used non-ethanol, high-octane fuel before vs TruFuel. Airplane gasoline is also non-ethanol, high-octane fuel that is great. High cost, but worth it.

I felt the same way about Champion...till I used them...two of them. They are high-quality, reasonably priced products. Oh, forgot...3 of their products...I also bought a trash pump of theirs, excellent!!

I’d appreciate seeing the list of parts that fail most frequently.
I will look, but I doubt I will find it, it was like 5 years ago. There was the little computer control module I remember, an air filter, and two other things. Sorry, I don't remember. I guess I could go look in the shop for the box. That would assume I could find the box now after two major cleanings and organizings.

I use canned (trufuel, Aspen, etc) exclusively for storage, and things used infrequently (snowthrowers). It keeps forever. But I absolutely see the value in propane. It stores forever.

definately looking into these champion units. I always thought them to be a budget, low quality product.
Any non-ethanol fuel will work...and be much cheaper.
If you want some great non-ethanol gasoline try the gas at marinas or small airports.

In my province all gasoline has to contain ethanol. (Other than the canned stuff). Anything at the pump has ethanol.

I use the canned stuff in my snowblower, and for storage in everything else

I think honda is really top tier. And top tier pricing.
I have owned 4 Champions. I still own 2. I'm a fan of their "inverter" dual fuel generators, but have had no issues with non-inverter. Most of my use is in the 120V range at or below 30A, so their 3000-4000 watt units are prefect for that.

Open frame is louder than closed frame.
All gas motors will have issues if they are left to sit (on the fuel side) - that's why I've been moving to dual fuel and trying to use propane.

On the subject of fuel, Travis county is a non-attainment zone. Requires ethanol. Bastrop county (next door) is country. It is an attainment zone. Buckees sells ethanol free in bastrop county.

On the subject of fuel, Travis county is a non-attainment zone. Requires ethanol. Bastrop county (next door) is country. It is an attainment zone. Buckees sells ethanol free in bastrop county.
I keep 15 gallons of non-ethanol on hand. I can buy it in N. Austin... I run it exclusively.
Prior to the days when I could get it (easily) - I was running off 100LL (Aviation fuel) from a local airport... All to avoid the typical carb entanglement and fuel line degradation.

I think honda is really top tier. And top tier pricing.
We bought our Honda eu3000is in 2001 (22 years ago). Added a propane conversion kit 4yrs ago. Haven't run it 1000(s) of hours but let's say 30hrs/year = 600hrs total.

Used regular gasoline the whole time, the gas is usually in the tank for over 2 years before adding more. The thing just RUNS - year after year. Cannot believe it's been 22 years now.

Here's the original purchase receipt with 'wheel kit' and 'electrical cable' etc.
1677436430992.png

I have owned 4 Champions. I still own 2. I'm a fan of their "inverter" dual fuel generators, but have had no issues with non-inverter. Most of my use is in the 120V range at or below 30A, so their 3000-4000 watt units are prefect for that.
Just recently bought a Champion 8000w Dual Fuel 100297 - https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100297-8000-watt-dual-fuel-generator/ - as the Honda is too small for my powerwall/system - hope it holds up as others have commented :)

Last edited:
Honda is a good pick.. probably one of the best generators made. The different models in the same wattage are usually the result of one being a normal generator and the other being an inverter type.

Normal generators are more reliable, inverters put out a much cleaner power and use less energy doing it.

If you plan to use a generator to charge the battery, and it's only for emergency use, then you want to store your battery at only a 50% charge, and store it in a cold, but not freezing, space.

Of more concern is what inverter you plant to use to convert the battery power to household current. Morningstar makes very good products.. I can't speak for the chargeverter because it hasn't been out long enough to get a reputation yet.

You have a good plan..

Don't think I've seen Wen mentioned yet.
I've been using this on and off with 0 issues since ordering, with the magnetic drain plug, in Aug '21. I added an hour meter to keep track of PM / oil changes.
Price has actually dropped ~$15 since ordering. There was free shipping when I ordered.

It's not to heavy for one person and you could easily add wheels if needed.

In my province all gasoline has to contain ethanol. (Other than the canned stuff). Anything at the pump has ethanol.

I use the canned stuff in my snowblower, and for storage in everything else
Even aviation gas? Seems extremely dangerous to me.

Back