diy solar

diy solar

Generator Hookup

Steve Mauro

I have a off Grid system that uses the Magnum Power Panel with a MS4024PAE inverter. I want to hook up my generator to charge batteries in multiple cloudy day situations. I'm just not sure if I am correct in the way I am planning on hooking the 7000 watt generator. My thought was to wire into the panel and plug into the generator. Is this a safe way to hook up generator or not?

The MS4024PAE has a built-in charger on it (can be wired to accept 120v or 240v input), so if you are off-grid (meaning no need to have an ATS switch between a grid vs gen power), then just wire the generator 240v output to the AC Input on the Magnum (using the L1+L2 240v input configuration).

How much more specific of an answer do you need? Like the generator should already have onboard, a circuit breaker for its output, you usually would have another generator breaker in a box on the house side too, and plumb it over to the Magnum.

Last edited:
One thing I could added to this is it is considered most safe to wire your generator into a dedicated generator-only socket that looks like this. This let's you use a power cable from the generator with a female fitting. A cable with male connections at both ends is commonly known as suicide cable. The one pictured is for split-phase 240V.
1641656329521.png

Magnum Energy MS4024PAE MS-PAE Series 4000W 24VDC Pure Sine Inverter/105 Amp PFC Charger/120V-240V Input/Output, Power Factor Corrected (PFC) Charger, Safe and reliable, Versatile mounting, Multiple ports, Convenient switches​

That Inverter charger has PFC Power Factor Correction and I don't know how the driver chipset or Mosfets will handle the generator output. Could Toast it real quick. Check the manual and find where it says it is ok to feed it from generator. If it doesn't say you can then don't.
You could disable the PFC Circuit and make it switchable but you will need to put on a lab coat and a helmit. A 24 volt alternator running off a Yanmar L48 diesel engine with field current limiting is all you will need.

Also the Chinese market has these engines plus 3 phase motor/generator on a controller reprogramed to automaticly charge the electric vehical battery.
Pretty simple pretty cool

Last edited:
Back