diy solar

diy solar

Generator only charge controller / charger for cloudy days or night time???

Thanks, That is what I figured, but I wasn't sure if this would put a potential on the PV wiring (which it will) and if this would affect the panels in any way. Guess not. In that case I could even use a transformer with a higher Voltage rating than 48V.

You should be connecting it to the batteries and not the PV wiring.

Thanks, That is what I figured, but I wasn't sure if this would put a potential on the PV wiring (which it will) and if this would affect the panels in any way. Guess not. In that case I could even use a transformer with a higher Voltage rating than 48V. Like the meanwell NPP1700 https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=NPP-1700. or a heavier DBR 3200 https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=DBR-3200 ?
It has to be 48v to the battery bus bars well max 58v. Higher would eventually bulge your batteries and start a fire. You PV controller takes 250v/etc and makes it 48v. The point of doing it with the aims charger is to avoid needed a 6000w generator to the inverter to output max charge of 1500w or so (forgot the exact #) and the rest directly powers the cabin. This way with the aims charger the batteries are being charged with a costco brand $550 yamaha 2200w inverter at 1 gallon of gas per night/cloudy day (vs 5 gallons /night with a 6000w gen) then you can still use up to 6000w from your inverter for a microwave/etc go to bed and use down to 0watts and be on demand.

With the aims charger I have had to charge a dozen times in our desert sun so far w snow, clouds, rain and after a night it went from almost dead to 3/4 or so on a 28kwh. Granted I only run my batteries to the low end longevity I think 56v or so.

I too am trying to interface a gen into my system.
I have two lv6548’s in split ph going to my sub panel.
There is an input for ac beside the ac outputs. I have wired in a plug box for shore power to that.
When i hook the gen in, it ready 195v coming in. But the gen shows zero Amps going out It doesnt deem to be charging batteries.
Any thoughts form anyone on this would be appreciated.
Thank yall.

Back