diy solar

diy solar

Generator+solar

Whitechapel1977

Hello, new to the forum.
I have a small camp in the remote upper peninsula of Michigan.
The camp has a Dutchman 5th wheel completely off grid, I want to install solar and I recently bought a small firman 2000 watt suitcase generator. My question is how do I set these two systems up to run together. Ideally I would like to run solar mostly and run the generator as a booster or back up. And what is the best solar system on a budget out there that would satisfy the basic requirements I'm not looking to power a welding machine or anything crazy, just the bare essentials. Thanks in advance

If you really want to do it right, do an energy audit. If you don't, you'll end up with a system that falls short, or you'll spend way too much on stuff you don't need. Almost no one gets luck.

If budget is your primary concern then an All-in-One Inverter like MPP Solar or Growatt is probably your best value choice as these type of products have the battery input, the solar charge controller as well as an AC charger all built in to a single unit.
The downside of this arrangement is having everything in one box. If for example the solar charge controller fails and you have to send the unit out for repair then you are left with only the generator. An alternate approach would be to install a separate inverter, separate solar charge controller and get a simple battery charger that would plug into the generator. If something breaks its not too difficult or expensive to replace one item.

If budget is your primary concern then an All-in-One Inverter like MPP Solar or Growatt is probably your best value choice as these type of products have the battery input, the solar charge controller as well as an AC charger all built in to a single unit.
The downside of this arrangement is having everything in one box. If for example the solar charge controller fails and you have to send the unit out for repair then you are left with only the generator. An alternate approach would be to install a separate inverter, separate solar charge controller and get a simple battery charger that would plug into the generator. If something breaks its not too difficult or expensive to replace one item.

...and their notoriously high idle consumption. When you factor in the $ you spend on PV and battery you can't use, they represent a notably lower value.

It takes 85% of a 100Ah 12.8V LFP battery to power a typical 3kW MPP Solar/Growatt/EG4, etc., for 24 hours.

Back