diy solar

diy solar

Generator Start Question

TeamMo8

I currently have a Generac 8k (G0062450) with an Auto Transfer Switch (RTSC100A3) that feeds a critical loads panel when it senses grid power is down.

I am looking to put in a Sol-Ark 12k with a few Ark Lithium batteries. Solar is coming when my garage gets built this Spring.

In the mean time, i wanted to get the Sol-Ark and Batteries in and get the Generac moved over to the Sol-Ark GEN port. Sol-Ark is requiring a 2-wire start to control the Generac. In the Generac Manuals, the two wire start would be wired to the harness inside the Generator itself.

Just curious if it would make sense/is possible to utilize the Auto Transfer Switch in some way, or if when we switch over to the Sol-Ark, the auto transfer switch is completely eliminated.

Thanks everyone!

I added the two wire start to mine. You also need to change settings in the processor. To get to them you have to get past the password. To get the most out of my 11 kw I had to put a contactor with a time delay to allow the generator to warm up. My Schneider does not ease into charging.

You don't need a transfer switch. The grid and gen connect pass-through relay in Sol-Ark is contact rated for 63 amps max.

It is a good idea to have an inverter bypass switch just in case inverter fails so you can get power from main panel to aux panel.

You will also need to remove the 120 Vac crank battery charge circuit from the transfer switch and supply with power from somewhere. If that is what you want to do. I can pull some paper work.

I was intending on removing the Auto Transfer switch, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a way to utilize it to just start and stop the generator.

1640579572455.png

This was the example i was going to follow. I ordered the 2 wire start kit from Generac and can run an two wires to the generator.

You will also need to remove the 120 Vac crank battery charge circuit from the transfer switch and supply with power from somewhere. If that is what you want to do. I can pull some paper work.
I figured the entire transfer switch would be removed from the equation. i would still be able to utilize the wiring from the generator to the transfer switch and just move it over to the Sol-Ark GEN input.

Back