diy solar

diy solar

Generators for charging battery banks.

Thecfarrell

Is there a good solution for charging batteries with a generator? We have about 12v 300 aH on our battery bank. But occasionally, the solar doesn’t give us enough power. (winter usually) Is it alright to use a standard battery charger and a generator to fully charge our batteries?

Depends what you mean by "standard".
Inverter generators are preferred for the pure sine wave they produce.
As for chargers you need one sized for the generator and the battery bank and compatible with the bank's chemistry.
Devil spotted luring in details.

Brings up question I've always had: "regular" generators that are sending AC into a battery charger vs DC generators like these:

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what a standard battery charger is. If you mean an average auto parts store, than no. I would need a4 0- 60 amp charger to charge my batteries, and auto parts are likely 10 amps.

When I remove my batteries for the RV off season, I have Flooded Lead acid batteies 12 volts 458 AH, so they want 60 amps to charge. I bought a 26 amp charger, and this NOCO charger never reaches full charge with all four batteries. I need to break them in pairs to charge them. After they're charged, I place them on a 1 amp float charger, and this ought ought to have a 4 amp charger.

If I were to charge my batteries in the RV, I would get a RV AC to DC converter rated for between 40 and 50 amps. I have installed in my RV now that charges at 15 amps, but I can use 165 amp hours of power overnight, plus whatever I use off the panels in the day, so that 15 amp converter would probably be charging the batteries off the generator close to 24/7 to keep up, so that's why I'd need to upgrade.

Brings up question I've always had: "regular" generators that are sending AC into a battery charger vs DC generators like these:

Thoughts?
Web page doesn't render here.
Usually dc generators are quite a bit more expensive less flexible and less modular.

You can build your own DC generator using the same parts for $500-750. Just depends how big you want it. Plenty of info on this. Just ask google.

Greg

Web page doesn't render here.
Usually dc generators are quite a bit more expensive less flexible and less modular.
I assume they are just motors, alternators, and regulators in a box, but I could be wrong.

Less flexible makes sense, for sure.

This is what I use.
+

I can power my ac loads directly or use the converter power + charge my system.

If I need 12 or 48 volts I can just get another converter.

Is there a good solution for charging batteries with a generator? We have about 12v 300 aH on our battery bank. But occasionally, the solar doesn’t give us enough power. (winter usually) Is it alright to use a standard battery charger and a generator to fully charge our batteries?
If you post the equipment details someone will help you know what to expect as far as run time etc.

I have a hybrid off grid inverter as my battery is acting as a critical circuit UPS. I ran the two phases of grid 120 from the main panel through a single 2 pole generator switch, then to the inverter input. The generator input will feed the inverter and power the critical circuit panel and recharge the batteries if i have an extended power outage. The inverter will also start and stop the generator based on state of charge in the battery.

Is there a good solution for charging batteries with a generator?

IMO, optimal use of the generator for lead-chemistry charging is to run it in the early morning until the solar has enough grunt to carry that and any other loads. Until an hour into Absorption or something (adjust for the specific system). There is little return in running the genny after the battery bank's current demands have tapered off.

I have a small 700 watt propane generator for the RV trailer. This just for an odd emergency if the solar is inadequate. Puts 40 amps into the 12v battery if needed. Very light and compact. No gasoline or related maintenance to worry about.

Are we talking mobile or home application? Is there propane or natural gas available? Or do you prefer gasoline or diesel? What's your budget like?

Back