diy solar

diy solar

Get net meter with a DIY setup

turtlepower

I live in the Tampa Bay area. I have a little DIY solar set up. I'm always moving things around and playing with different components.
I'm seeing that I can get a net meter just by asking here: https://www.duke-energy.com/home/products/renewable-energy/generate-your-own
" Net metering interconnections Tier 1 (Renewable Generating Facilities ≤ 10 kW)
No application fee, disconnect switch or insurance requirement, simply complete the Tier 1 Interconnection Request Application and Compliance Form and the Tier 1 Standard Interconnection Agreement on the Interconnection Portal.
If you choose to net meter, Duke Energy will check to ensure your PV system rating does not exceed the 90% of the transformer or service rating [...]"

I'm thinking to minimize my solar set up to 1 panel in the yard, mounted to the ground with 2x4s, then call them to get the meter. The purpose of this minimal set up would be just to make the inspection go easier.

Question: Has anyone tried to make a DIY solar project into a legal "Tier 1" facility? Because I'm worried that they may get me in trouble for having something not up to code.

Back