diy solar

diy solar

Get ready for the Price increase

shipping cost has increased by about 300% from last year - China to LAX

That's in general terms not true. My company is importing trough LA and NY / NJ all the time. While there is a big delay on both ends with ports being clogged, prices didn't quadruple. So far we saw about a 20% increase. If you pay 400%, you are getting ripped off and you need to find a new freight forwarder / broker.

I have one joke about economists: I'm an economist. I predicted 18 of the last 3 recessions.

Now THATS funny ...

its like those financial guys on MSNBC that are saying that the housing bubble is going to hit Jan 2021 ...opps ... Feb 2021 ..opps March 2021 ... and so on and so on .. eventually they will be right ... and then they all will tell everyone they called it perfectly ... LOL

One of the issues I saw coming and why I think shipping costs have gone up so much is the turn around time on the containers and the ships. The Tariffs placed on goods from China now mean that containers must be inspected and valuated in greater detail. From what I am hearing it sounds like a ship can only make half as many trips in the same time period as before. This of course that means a doubling of the shipping fees on that factor alone. Then we have the massive consumer demand due to Covid with people staying at home, demand means they can charge more.

I had seen a lot of this coming from 18 months ago and told my friends that now is the time to buy all the major items you will need for the next 2 years. I redid the roof of my house, installed my PV system, built an electrical room and changed the washer and dryer all between the end of 2020 and the April 2021. My advice for right now is that if you don't need it, hold off! As things ramp up and fall into place there will no doubt be a glut of items by Mid 2022 and prices will crash back down. Also that sweet LifePo4 licensing agreement that China has will expire at the end of this year, so it means that other countries will be able to produce them competitively.

.... Then we have the massive consumer demand due to Covid with people staying at home, demand means they can charge more.

I had seen a lot of this coming from 18 months ago and told my friends that now is the time to buy all the major items you will need for the next 2 years....
I "prep" food, and other things. My family is still eating off of our, much less expensive, pre-"covid" grocery trip. Of course we still get fresh food, but our basics (flour, rice, pasta, sugar, cans, etc) were much less expensive 2+ years ago. We also had flour, sugar, and TP, before it sold out, so we weren't running around crazy trying to panic buy back in early 2019.

Same thing with gasoline. I keep a full tank (24 gallons) +25g in cans. I filled them up before the pipeline "hack", for a little over a dollar a gallon. Haven't filled up since then.

People call me a little crazy, but even though the apocalypse haven't happened yet, my preparedness has paid off.
As things ramp up and fall into place there will no doubt be a glut of items by Mid 2022 and prices will crash back down
I hope so! I really do. I would bet against that though. I think things will get MUCH worse before they get better.

If you see any .30-06 can you pick it up for me. Anything less than $55/box is good. I have some 7.62x54r to trade.
thumbs.gif

While I would not like to see cell prices go up a bunch, even if they increased $10/cell, it would still cost me less to DIY a battery than to get one off the shelf.
Sorry HRTKD. I am next to the ports and see thousands of containers. Not sure which is yours. If you got a new toyota coming off a ship I actually watch the long shoreman drive those off the ship. I can tell you which color and types have arrived. lol

Same thing with gasoline. I keep a full tank (24 gallons) +25g in cans. I filled them up before the pipeline "hack", for a little over a dollar a gallon. Haven't filled up since then.

May I propose a profitable little business enterprise?
Buy gasoline for $1/gallon, smuggle it into California, sell it on the black market for $3.50/gallon

May I propose a profitable little business enterprise?
Buy gasoline for $1/gallon, smuggle it into California, sell it on the black market for $3.50/gallon
I used to live in Virginia. Tobacco there is the cheapest on the planet, even cheaper than black market (dark web) prices. I could get good smokes for $3-5 a pack (a few years ago, I'm sure prices have gone up a little bit since then). I sent them to my uncle in Michigan for a hefty markup, and he would sell them, by the carton, to his friends. I would also go up to Edmondson Ave in Baltimore (it's the "hood") and sell them to street boys for almost double.

Which is all well and good, so long as you don't get put in a chokehold.

I remember as a kid (50+ years ago) seeing ads for gadgets to fill your own cigarettes with tobacco from a can. That might get around the "sin" tax on them.
California has banned importing of ammo (except through licensed dealers.) People can't even drive across the border and back with a box purchased in California. Might as well stop and expend it all shooting up road signs? Anyway, components and materials aren't restricted (other than banned types/calibers), just assembled ammo.

I "prep" food, and other things. My family is still eating off of our, much less expensive, pre-"covid" grocery trip. Of course we still get fresh food, but our basics (flour, rice, pasta, sugar, cans, etc) were much less expensive 2+ years ago. We also had flour, sugar, and TP, before it sold out, so we weren't running around crazy trying to panic buy back in early 2019.

People call me a little crazy, but even though the apocalypse haven't happened yet, my preparedness has paid off.

I hope so! I really do. I would bet against that though. I think things will get MUCH worse before they get better.
Debt ceiling has been hit. We cannot pay our bills as it is. The US is broke by Oct.
The world bank may move away from the dollar as the worlds reserve currency an move to a digital currency SDR's for total control of the global economy.

The current Admin is totally on board. It aint going to "get better" on its own.

Use your today dollars to prepare. Buy more cells and panels!

We've found our dry goods come pre-infested.
I've taken to freezing them when purchased.

Gas turns bad quickly, especially if it has any Ethanol in it, no matter if you add stabilizer. After half a year you will increase the carbon buildup in your injector engine, especially directly injecting models.

Gas turns bad quickly, especially if it has any Ethanol in it, no matter if you add stabilizer. After half a year you will increase the carbon buildup in your injector engine, especially directly injecting models.
Yup. I love the gas stations in the Carolinas that still sell non-ethanol gas!
Here in NY the only option is Tru-gas cans from Lowes or home depot, and its like $20 a gallon.

Yup. I love the gas stations in the Carolinas that still sell non-ethanol gas!
Here in NY the only option is Tru-gas cans from Lowes or home depot, and its like $20 a gallon.

I live on the beach here in Florida and many local gas stations offer ethanol free gas for the many boaters we have. All my vehicles get ethanol free gas but not the Vette. The Vette needs higher octane rating. That being said, I paid 3.95 last night for ethanol free gas, thanks to somebody who canceled the Keystone pipeline per executive order earlier this year, and a couple other issues that have been badly addressed. Used to be 2.79.

Debt ceiling has been hit. We cannot pay our bills as it is. The US is broke by Oct.
The world bank may move away from the dollar as the worlds reserve currency an move to a digital currency SDR's for total control of the global economy.

The current Admin is totally on board. It aint going to "get better" on its own.

Use your today dollars to prepare. Buy more cells and panels!

Back