diy solar

diy solar

Getting lost in the JBD BMS systems

sidpost

Is there a good guide for selecting the 'right' JBD BMS? I think I need a 120A 48V version but, I'm getting lost in all the different versions.

I'm looking at 16 LiFeP04 batteries for 3700W (today) with a possible upgrade in capacity later this year.

Last edited:
You could go to the Overkill Solar website and buy their version of the JBD 16s BMS. Their options are explained a lot more clearly than what I could find on the Chinese sites like Alibaba.

Overkill Solar is where I was looking but, everything is out of stock. It was a good start but, left me with a lot of questions. The OEM labels and such are nice but, it obscures what each model really is.

I also looked at Jenny's website which has them as well.

Assuming 16x LiFePO4 cells...

3700W / 52V = 71A max chargins so not an issue.

52V x 120A = 6240W ... should be ok for an array to here. Same for inverter too actually.

Yes, I'm looking to have a bit of extra capacity initially for reliability and heat management and, it gives me a bit of room to add panels in the future without needing a new BMS as I potentially have access to a large group of 230W panels that may be surplused though, I would need to upgrade my charge controller to deal with dissimilar panels.

Looking online at Alibaba and Aliexpress, I see a lot of references to charging electric bicycles and 18650 cells.

With text like JBD 7S-20S 200A and similar, how do I decipher it? Is it 7 to 20 cells in series with a 200A charge current limit?

I also see things like 2P 16S and 16S 2P. I'm assuming 2P 16S is two parallel strings of 16 cells and 16S is batteries in parallel and those are 16 in series.

Jenny's site lists it as JBD-AP20S003S. Is there a secret decoder ring or Rosetta Stone somewhere for these BMS listings?

2p16s is two cells connected in parallel and then 16 sets of those pairs connected in series. One BMS.
16s2p is two separate 16s batteries each with its own BMS.

A variable number of cells is 7s-20s. I have no experience with this but if you wanted to lower the maximum voltage of each cell but still come up with a 48 volt battery you could put in 17 cells. If a BMS lists only one cell number then it is fixed and you must have that many cells.

Looking online at Alibaba and Aliexpress, I see a lot of references to charging electric bicycles and 18650 cells.

With text like JBD 7S-20S 200A and similar, how do I decipher it? Is it 7 to 20 cells in series with a 200A charge current limit?

I also see things like 2P 16S and 16S 2P. I'm assuming 2P 16S is two parallel strings of 16 cells and 16S is batteries in parallel and those are 16 in series.

Jenny's site lists it as JBD-AP20S003S. Is there a secret decoder ring or Rosetta Stone somewhere for these BMS listings?
I just got one for my 16S 48v 305ah cells
how do you wire this up?

Back