diy solar

diy solar

Getting panels mounted on the roof?

Alderon57

Hi, all. In putting together my system, I need to eventually get (6) PV panels installed on the roof of my home. I'm not going up there to do it.
I got a price from a local Solar company, and their install price was more than the rest of my entire system combined!
Does anyone have any tips on how to get these installed at a more reasonable rate? Are there rigid legal standards to be aware of for this? This is making me more nervous than anything else I've dealt with so far. Thanks!
Ron

Are there rigid legal standards to be aware of for this?
Yes. Its unlikely you can put solar on the roof of a structure without a permit from your local permiting body. In my area it requires engineer review of the roof structure to verify it will take the addtional weight. As my jurisdiction follows IBC/IRC there is requirements in that code concerning how they can be installed, edge setbacks for fire access etc.

I also wanted pros to do my ground mount install and they clearly have all the margin they make built into equipment markup. so with no equipment to sell you, they are uninterested in walking away from all that margin so they just tack it on to whatever small part your asking them to bid)
Because if you just ask them to come out and do 8 hrs of work for $100/hr you get a bid for like $5K (which would be about the markup on an entire installed system)

Yes. Its unlikely you can put solar on the roof of a structure without a permit from your local permiting body. In my area it requires engineer review of the roof structure to verify it will take the addtional weight. As my jurisdiction follows IBC/IRC there is requirements in that code concerning how they can be installed, edge setbacks for fire access etc.

I also wanted pros to do my ground mount install and they clearly have all the margin they make built into equipment markup. so with no equipment to sell you, they are uninterested in walking away from all that margin so they just tack it on to whatever small part your asking them to bid)
Because if you just ask them to come out and do 8 hrs of work for $100/hr you get a bid for like $5K (which would be about the markup on an entire installed system)
Interesting. I am thinking about moving and didn't think about what you just posted. My present panels are not on my house roof but the carport roof which was plenty strong enough to hold the 300 pounds of weight.

Yes, that became obvious very quickly. My six panels will weigh in at about 270lbs; plus a small amount of racking. It will not be grid-tied.
I have no problem with permits or inspections; I just would like to find a reasonable rate for the installation.

Back