diy solar

diy solar

Getting Power to the barn

Jack2of3

Hi All, In the attached simplified picture is my current setup. Still deciding on the way to get power to the barn from the shed. I will be tying the undecided unit into the batteries connected to the existing LV5048. My initial thought is to just parallel another LV5048 and run the Line 1 and Line 2 out to the barn.
Ranch Solar.PNG

If you just send 240v out to where you need it, you can split it in distribution. A load center or main lug panel works fine. Of you dont need 240v in the same building, just send 120v line to that building from distribution. Like traditional lights and outlet circuits versus a 240v water heater as example. Imagine your property as a building and its simpler.

Good point on the distribution panel. I'll still need the 2nd lv5048 for the 10kw. In single phase they share the load in parallel

It will parallel into and or through distribution even if the inverters are in different buildings. Keep that line at low loss.

Power has been run to the barn. Used 6awg for the 100' run. Ended up putting two LV5048 in parallel to handle the startup surge of my Quincy 60 gallon compressor. While it ran for an hour during break in the A/C and the fridge ran periodically. The 8 Battleborne 12v handled it with no problem.

Hi All, In the attached simplified picture is my current setup. Still deciding on the way to get power to the barn from the shed. I will be tying the undecided unit into the batteries connected to the existing LV5048. My initial thought is to just parallel another LV5048 and run the Line 1 and Line 2 out to the barn.
View attachment 13308
AC power doesn’t care how it’s generated, follow standard transmission practices for underground wire and be done with it. I am assuming you will be carrying less than 10kw so no worries.

Ran 6AWG from the Main panel to the barn and hooked it to a sub-panel.
The 2 parallel MPP LV5048 handle the 230v, 60 gallon Quincey air compressor with no issue. Tried with just 1 lv5048 but it couldn't handle the startup surge.

Back