diy solar

diy solar

Getting Started : 2 GrowWatt 5k vs/ SolArk 12k

Hi, brand new to the channel.

TLDR: brand new install, SolArk 12k or Growwatt stackable 5k? which is better?

I just recently moved from Illinois to Alabama, and from a small suburb of Chicago with tiny lots to a 4+ acre lot. I'm planning to install solar to "mostly" run the house, based on my usage it varies from 45k a day on average, peaking at close to 90k a day when we have "heat advisories".

My home currently has two 200amp panels, with the bulk of the 240v loads (oven, both upstairs and downstairs heat pumps, dryer, HW heater) on one of the panels, and mostly 120v loads on the other.

I recently built a pole barn about 160' from the house, installed a 125a breaker and appropriately sized wire so I can power the workshop which has a variety of welders, it's own heat-pump, lift etc...), and I plan to install several ground-based PV arrays near the building so I can put the batteries \ charge controllers etc... in the barn and just run another feeder out from those back to the house to feed a separate dedicated load panel.

That new dedicated load panel in the house will have the main 240v loads, which represent the bulk of the heavy loads in summer, and any key 120v loads (fridges, freezers, network closet, my office, sump pumps, garage door openers, dehumidifier and some key lights \ rooms), along with a switch that will allow me to connect to the PV \ battery output vs. utility power for servicing etc..

My first question is regarding charge controller \ inverter. I've been researching the Solark 12k and the Growwatt stackable 5k. I understand the SolArk is $6800 versus $1600 for a comparable capacity with 2 stacked Growwatts, and I have some key questions and I'm looking for recommendations.

The SolArk 12k doesnt need an auto-transformer, the Growwatt does.

The SolArk 12k would be a single point of failure, versus 2 Growwatt and the possiblility of adding a 3rd for growth \ redundancy for $800 versus another $6800 to add another SolArk.

Ive read horror stories about the autotransformer failing and destroying 120v loads when the neutral is lost, and I've researched some options for mitigating, like adding a second dedicated load panel subbed off the original, where 240v are terminated, then the subpanel is only 120v loads with redundant auto transformers.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the Growwatt, given price point and stackability \ redundancy, but not sure if the Auto Transformer limitation is being over emphasized, and I like the fact the SolArk is split-phase to I dont need to worry about it.

Any other considerations I havent mentioned between the SolArk and the Growwatt?

Last question, i don't plan to do gridtie, i dont want to sell back, all the red tape is a pita, so I just want to draw power from solar \ batteries when they're producing, and otherwise from the grid, but nothing going back out. Do both the SolArk and Growwatt support this? Based on what i've read they do.

Any help is appreciated, I am pulling the trigger soon (assuming things come back into stock) and want to install asap, but I need to do some due diligence.

leaning towards the Growwatt, given price point and stackability \ redundancy, but not sure if the Auto Transformer limitation is being over emphasized, and I like the fact the SolArk is split-phase to I dont need to worry about it.
Price point? The psychological impact of pricing structures as developed by a marketing team?
Price point shopping is like a Chevy retailing at $19,995 and Hyundai drops their $21,200 retail to match and/or highlights extra value options with their offering. ‘Price point’ is $20,000 but is adjusted to impact the consumer more favorably.

I think you meant ‘low cost’ because solark and growatt are not price point competitors.

Two ancillary things cross my mind here:
1) dependability
2) complaint exposure

SolArk is low on the former and high on the latter. Plus I think it is low frequency.

Growatt is fairly respected for lower/mid shelf products, so OK on dependability. And complaint exposure- while not low- isn’t very high.

For stackable split phase and I think without the transformer concerns have you looked at MPPSolar AIOs? Lower on 2) and apparently fairly high on 1). I think they have 6kW stackables that are “UL1741 compliant” as well.

Price point? The psychological impact of pricing structures as developed by a marketing team?
Price point shopping is like a Chevy retailing at $19,995 and Hyundai drops their $21,200 retail to match and/or highlights extra value options with their offering. ‘Price point’ is $20,000 but is adjusted to impact the consumer more favorably.

I think you meant ‘low cost’ because solark and growatt are not price point competitors.

Two ancillary things cross my mind here:
1) dependability
2) complaint exposure

SolArk is low on the former and high on the latter. Plus I think it is low frequency.

Growatt is fairly respected for lower/mid shelf products, so OK on dependability. And complaint exposure- while not low- isn’t very high.

For stackable split phase and I think without the transformer concerns have you looked at MPPSolar AIOs? Lower on 2) and apparently fairly high on 1). I think they have 6kW stackables that are “UL1741 compliant” as well.
sol-ark is high frequency

Back