diy solar

diy solar

Getting well drilled, pump advice needed

kampto

For the past 15 years I've been running a small DC surface pump on a 70w panel at about 1gpm when the sun shines. But my spring dry's up early in the year these days so getting a 4 inch well drilled in a month or so. Will likely be <200ft deep. Im going to need a submersible pump and controller. I only need <3gpm from it since it will fill a 2500gal tank that gravity feeds my house. It only need to run when its sunny out. Im not there all the time. I have a spare 325w panel to use, its 47Voc and ~9.3amp Isc. From well ground level to tank level is about 40ft up. Ive been looking at Sun Pumps. Any pump/controller advice? Must have an off contact sensor input, I have a float switch when its full. Kind of on a budget since the well is going to cost a lot!

Since you already are set up for low flow, that can be done on a small pump. Grundfos SQFlex are generally pretty well regarded. They'll take just about any power you care to feed them. Just watch the curve at your expected voltage input - some require ~240V[AD]C to get full flow.

Once you know your well depth and water level, then you can more accurately answer which pump to get. Chances are that panel will make enough power for you, as long as the voltage can drive your pump enough for your expected use.

Yes, definitely at least a 3-wire, if not 3-phase and single phase VFD for it. The latter is much less stress on your standpipe when the pump kicks on.

I'm less sure about solar direct to 3-phase, however. Maybe someone knows more about that.

Yes, definitely at least a 3-wire, if not 3-phase and single phase VFD for it. The latter is much less stress on your standpipe when the pump kicks on.

I'm less sure about solar direct to 3-phase, however. Maybe someone knows more about that.
3 wire is 3 phase. No?

Dayum!! $2600 for a Grundflos SQflex 6 SQF-2 (2-wire) AC/DC pump and another $480 for the controller/monitor. Too much $$$$.
Whats this 3-wire, all the MPPT and starting circuits are not on the pump? I dont see a grundos that fits that bill and can run DC.

3 wire is 3 phase. No?
No. There are single phase 3-wire pumps that have an extra winding 90° out of phase to help start the motor. These will always have a control box. Then there is 3-phase, which does not require a control box, but VFDs are often used to enable controlling the speed of the motor.

Grundfos may have things worked out to use a 2-wire motor for all theirs. If it's a DC motor, they may not need the third wire, as DC is naturally polarized. If the Grundfos is too expensive, I'd go back to looking at a 3-phase pump and pump head with VFD. You can get Hitachi VFDs for a few hundred or less, and the pump and motor will also be less than that Grundfos.

No. There are single phase 3-wire pumps that have an extra winding 90° out of phase to help start the motor. These will always have a control box. Then there is 3-phase, which does not require a control box, but VFDs are often used to enable controlling the speed of the motor.

Grundfos may have things worked out to use a 2-wire motor for all theirs. If it's a DC motor, they may not need the third wire, as DC is naturally polarized. If the Grundfos is too expensive, I'd go back to looking at a 3-phase pump and pump head with VFD. You can get Hitachi VFDs for a few hundred or less, and the pump and motor will also be less than that Grundfos.
Ok, thank you. I misspoke. I meant to say three phase and figured 3 wire is automaticlly 3 phase. They can accelerate the pump slowly. Very good to control the speed and doesn't shock the pump when starting. Less wear and tear. I designed 3 phase VFD for many years. Parametrics/ABB, TB Woods, AC Technology/Lenze.

For the past 15 years I've been running a small DC surface pump on a 70w panel at about 1gpm when the sun shines. But my spring dry's up early in the year these days so getting a 4 inch well drilled in a month or so. Will likely be <200ft deep. Im going to need a submersible pump and controller. I only need <3gpm from it since it will fill a 2500gal tank that gravity feeds my house. It only need to run when its sunny out. Im not there all the time. I have a spare 325w panel to use, its 47Voc and ~9.3amp Isc. From well ground level to tank level is about 40ft up. Ive been looking at Sun Pumps. Any pump/controller advice? Must have an off contact sensor input, I have a float switch when its full. Kind of on a budget since the well is going to cost a lot!
The Sun Pump sounds like exactly what you need. That style of pump (Diaphragm) are super efficient, runs directly off of solar and is field repairable.

If you want try something that's really cheap there's a large selection of diaphragm submersible pumps on eBay. They might be crap but at $100 or less could be worth trying. Something like this will probably work on 60 cell module with a Voc of 40ish but probably not 47 Voc.

There's also complete kits with panels and controller for $266. Don't let the label on the controller shake your confidence. LOL

1648126522512.png

Last edited:
I recently replaced my 240V submersible pump with a grundfos SQ5 110 volt. it is not a flex pump, but it has a slow start motor and only uses 6 amps and I only paid $600 for it online at a Wyoming store, other places wanted over $1k. on the box it said for 85' or less. my well pump is at 180', but it pumps directly into a storage tank, so it has minimal head.. it is rated at 5gpm, gut i only get 3gpm, plenty enuf for me. I have it running off 2 200watt panels and a 1500watt invertor. it is on a timer, so it only runs between 10am and 3pm.
I spent months looking at pumps and finally realized that if your water is lower than eighty feet a dc pump will not cut it. you can buy a 1500watt inverter for under $200. so why pay $1500 for a fancy dc pump.

Update: I've decided to move the well closer to my house solar system shed so I can run 240V split phase AC to it. Also looking at a grundfos 5-SQ. Much easier this way. Well getting drilled in a few weeks then I can decide what exact model to get depending on the depth. It wont need to run much and <5gpm is fine to top off the tank which is about 43ft head above well ground level.

I recommend Grundfos for solar hookups . They make the best pumps and have low start up amps.
I get my stuff here
aquascience.net
You can buy the controller and pump as a set at a better price as well.
I should add that I am not running a Grundfos well pump as mine is a Franklin at 110 foot submersible and its nbeen going 24 years now and I have aother as a spare.

where are you located? Do you know how deep your water is? the pump that i have is a 5SQ05-90-115. Ipaid around $600. for it at Aqua Science. it sits at 180' plus 10' to the top of my tank. so if your water pump is going to be at less than 130' it should work for you. I got the 115 model because you can use a much less expensive invertor than if you go to 240v. I have a 25volt booster pump from Aquatec that works good up to 60psi with a built in pressure controller, it was only $100. so buy 2 for a backup. it runs off 2 100ah 12 volt batteries in series. just don't let it freeze or run dry. It uses one tenth the power of a 110v pump. hope this helps!

I recommend Grundfos for solar hookups . They make the best pumps and have low start up amps.
I get my stuff here
aquascience.net
You can buy the controller and pump as a set at a better price as well.
I should add that I am not running a Grundfos well pump as mine is a Franklin at 110 foot submersible and its nbeen going 24 years now and I have aother as a spare.
weird, we both recommended Aquascience at the same time! I got mine there for $400 to $500 less than anywhere else.

Last edited:
Its a small world -Aqua science is a good source-I bought well pipe and all the stainless fittings as well-great service and prices are fair and if I recall free shipping or flat rate.

where are you located? Do you know how deep your water is? the pump that i have is a 5SQ05-90-115. Ipaid around $600. for it at Aqua Science. it sits at 180' plus 10' to the top of my tank. so if your water pump is going to be at less than 130' it should work for you. I got the 115 model because you can use a much less expensive invertor than if you go to 240v. I have a 25volt booster pump from Aquatec that works good up to 60psi with a built in pressure controller, it was only $100. so buy 2 for a backup. it runs off 2 100ah 12 volt batteries in series. just don't let it freeze or run dry. It uses one tenth the power of a 110v pump. hope this helps!
Northern California and in the mountains. Don't know how deep yet, will find out in a few weeks then choose the appropriate 5-SQ pump. Good site to purchase, might get from them.
My house inverter is 240V split phase already so that will help cut down the wire size. Im hoping well is going to be <200ft + 43ft head to top of tank. Drillers quoted me up to 300ft just in case.
Im going to build my own controller so I can implement several rules about when it can run; battery bank voltage >25V, after sunrise and before sunset, temp outside > 35deg, float switch is open, etc..

Northern California and in the mountains. Don't know how deep yet, will find out in a few weeks then choose the appropriate 5-SQ pump. Good site to purchase, might get from them.
My house inverter is 240V split phase already so that will help cut down the wire size. Im hoping well is going to be <200ft + 43ft head to top of tank. Drillers quoted me up to 300ft just in case.
Im going to build my own controller so I can implement several rules about when it can run; battery bank voltage >25V, after sunrise and before sunset, temp outside > 35deg, float switch is open, etc..
I use a Grundfos SQF pump the hardest part is paying for the pump .
My pump is at 700 feet .
The pump can run off solar , 120 v ac 240v ac 48v dc any thing .
I could run off solar panels , or battery but my pump gives me
6 GPM I run it off my 120v out back inverter I just run my pump cable thru a 20$ mechanical timer
And then to the outlet on my inverter with 20 amp breaker .
The pump draws 700watts @ 120v with no start up serge at all .
I have 2 totes and a 250g inside water tank Daisy chained together .
In the winter I turn the out side tanks off .
The 250g tank last me a week or so , I pump for 30 min every 4 days or so and get 180g
I have a over flow pipe so I don’t get flooded out .
Your pump at 300’ would use about 300watts .
It’s almost no power drain ?

I use a Grundfos SQF pump the hardest part is paying for the pump .
My pump is at 700 feet .
The pump can run off solar , 120 v ac 240v ac 48v dc any thing .
I could run off solar panels , or battery but my pump gives me
6 GPM I run it off my 120v out back inverter I just run my pump cable thru a 20$ mechanical timer
And then to the outlet on my inverter with 20 amp breaker .
The pump draws 700watts @ 120v with no start up serge at all .
I have 2 totes and a 250g inside water tank Daisy chained together .
In the winter I turn the out side tanks off .
The 250g tank last me a week or so , I pump for 30 min every 4 days or so and get 180g
I have a over flow pipe so I don’t get flooded out .
Your pump at 300’ would use about 300watts .
It’s almost no power drain ?
700' wow. where are you located? the wineries around here( paso robles ca.) go down a thousand feet and steal all the residential water.

Back