diy solar

diy solar

Gird-tied with Secure Power Supply

dmholmes

Would a grid-tied system with a Secure Power Supply to charge be a viable alternative to getting an installed solar battery (Powerwall/Enphase/LG)? With the 2,000w I could charge batteries/power stations during grid outage. It wouldn't be as nice of an integrated system of course, but it would be quite a bit lower cost.

Would a grid-tied system with a Secure Power Supply to charge be a viable alternative to getting an installed solar battery (Powerwall/Enphase/LG)? With the 2,000w I could charge batteries/power stations during grid outage. It wouldn't be as nice of an integrated system of course, but it would be quite a bit lower cost.

Charging batteries is probably the best use of SPS since its power output can vary drastically during the day. However, one thing I heard recently is that SPS may no longer be supported by SMA due to rapid shutdown requirements in the US. You should contact SMA to get definitive answer.

Charging batteries is probably the best use of SPS since its power output can vary drastically during the day. However, one thing I heard recently is that SPS may no longer be supported by SMA due to rapid shutdown requirements in the US. You should contact SMA to get definitive answer.
I believe that has been addressed, details here.

I believe that has been addressed, details here.

That's just announcement of SunSpec Alliance. In general, Tigo devices (SunSpec compliant) have been used for RSD for SMA inverters but supposedly Tigo has stopped selling the device model with support for SPS. I suggest you contact SMA to confirm.

I have a SMA SB6.0-1 SP-US-41 with Tigo TS4-R-F. Installed in 2020 was initially told SPS was not possible due to rapid shutdown requirements. Emailed SMA recently and got this reply.

"You can use the SPS in conjunction with the TS4-R-F, to do this you need to make sure of two things: Inverter needs to be on its latest firmware Inverter needs to be set to "Rapid Shutdown Mode: Sunspec' with "Secure Power Supply On" The SPS will work but only for the rest of the day that is activated, if the outage lasts more than 1 day it will not work for the next day, this is due to the TS4 modules design."

Posting this everywhere relevant because getting this operational is a huge benefit and getting good information on it has been a headache.

Back