diy solar

diy solar

Glasses...

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
I was working on a main panel reworking a feeder I think... not sure it was MANY moons ago...
But my linesman pliers slipped and slammed between the bus’s bar and the panel cabinet...

BOOM amazing how bright and loud a main short is...

Destroyed the pliers, and the panel...

And copper plated the lenses on my glasses... several pits in them from bits of molten metal.

eyes don’t grow back people... wear safety glasses.
And disconnect the line if you have to work in a panel.

A sparky friend told me a tale of where 'someone' accidentally left a wrench in a 22kV switch enclosure. Left quite an impressive scorch mark on the opposite wall of the switch hall.

A sparky friend told me a tale of where 'someone' accidentally left a wrench in a 22kV switch enclosure. Left quite an impressive scorch mark on the opposite wall of the switch hall.
KV stuff is crazy scary. In licensing class the instructor showed images and videos of some impressive KV goofs...

Don’t mix up the lv and KV meters ...

Summary for those that don't want to watch, procedures are there for a reason. You might think you know what you are doing, but if it turns out you don't you will pay for it. This is why we show such concern when people talk about playing with 400VDC battery packs.

Last edited:

Summary for those that don't want to watch, procedures are there for a reason. You might think you know what you are doing, but if it turns out you don't you will pay for it. This is why we show such concern when people talk about playing with 400VDC battery packs.
This is one of the videos my instructor showed us in class.

Yeah I'll be having nightmares tonight. I'm never touching my inverter again. :eek::poop:

We had a crimped lug connector for DC 600V @400A for one of our motion leg actuators go bad inside the control cabinet and as it started to melt it must have arced and what it didnt outright destroy in the 4x4x6 foot cabinet it scorched/melted or plated with copper and soot. If somebody had been standing in front of it with the door open it would have killed him instantly.
At least we're pretty sure it was the connector, the flat part of the lug was still bolted but the barrel and a inch or so of the wire was just gone.

And people wonder why Welder's are DC... a couple of folks thought I was over board when I laid 3/4" thick rubber horse mat down on the floor of the powerhouse. Something to note in regards to many of the builds and even the videos, anyone show the use of Bus Bar Covers (like battery paralleling buses) or Relay Contact Cover's over the terminals.... Many "exposed terminals" to make accidental contact with... Often people do not appreciate that it's the Amperage that will kill you, not the voltage and it only takes a second if you goof it up. There is also a very good reason that equipment is mounted into metal cabinets, as noted in previous posts where things have gone terribly wrong.

Anyone remember the movie "Towering Inferno", just before the fires broke out, how they noted the over heated cabinets resulting from below spec (sub-standard) wiring pushing too much load through too thin a wire. The reason I mention that movie in particular, is because the Fire Departments & Electrical Authority were involved in the production because they wanted to ensure he message got out accurately (there had been many issues with highrises and fires at that time ).

Back