diy solar

diy solar

Global warming is real, why only in USA is there denial ?

I did not "misunderstand" deforestation is a huge problem and has been for a long time. Your idea has merit, but I disagree with you on not needing storage.
It's not an issue - didn't say it's not necessary, because we don't need as much as oil defenders are claiming.

When you preload most high intensity loads to when plenty of energy is available -the amount of storage EVs are bringing to the grid within the next 10-20 years should be sufficient.

Crap.. and I thought my 600 foot driveway was long....

Something interesting I have learned in the past year.. I'm on nat gas but almost everyone around me has propane.. new neighbors moved in and got a quote to have the gas line run to their home.. gas company came out and quoted them $4500. My neighbor, who seems to enjoy spending large sums of money, decided to go ahead with the project...

The gas company ended up sending him a bill for a bit over $700.. (Seven Hundred). And that was it.. he pays the same per Mcf as I do and no extra charges.

I have to wonder if the power companies do the same thing, I also wonder why they would do such a thing as over-quoting things like that.
You should be our test case for surge arrestors!
What did you have installed in each case, and what now?

You should be our test case for surge arrestors!
What did you have installed in each case, and what now?
Aims 6kw. It was repaired under warranty the first time. Now it failed out of warranty - I think a shorted output fet. I haven;t opened it up yet. I have replaced it with the growatt 6kW.

Sebald R. Korn told me to put some MOVs across all of the lines going outside :)

Aims 6kw. It was repaired under warranty the first time. Now it failed out of warranty - I think a shorted output fet. I haven;t opened it up yet. I have replaced it with the growatt 6kW.

Sebald R. Korn told me to put some MOVs across all of the lines going outside :)
Are you sure it was a lightening strike? Aim's has a high failure rate to begin with.

So you didn't have any surge arrestors then, and you still don't yet?
In the following thread I gave links to parts I found on DigiKey which seem similar to what SMA used on 600VDC PV inputs.
Scale voltages according to peak AC voltage when selecting for AC side.
(Or, buy the ones Midnight sells, which look pretty good and include a protecting/blown LED status.)

Though it has nothing to do with climate change, religion, lawyers, politics or education, I am preparing for retirement.
My house will be paid off soon.
I bought my wife an electric car and I installed solar. And I don't have payments because didn't borrow the money.
Part of the reasoning is to pay things off ahead of time so I don't have as many bills in retirement.
The car will probably last the rest of our life. I never have to pay for gas and insurance is cheaper on electric cars.
I don't have to pay for electricity for the rest of my life either. And I will have electricity even if the grid goes down.
Of course things will wear out and I will still need to upgrade things and buy new things but I am better off than most people that I know.
And I am not being selfish or careless with the environment.
It is strange that politics cause people to argue so much here. It seems we are working in the same direction.
Did you see Will Prowse's video of his off-grid system he uses to charge his Tesla ?
I drive a hybrid Rav4 that gets 38 mpg. They have a Prime model that you can charge but the range is only 40 miles.
If they get that up to 100 miles , I might trade mine in for one.

Did you see Will Prowse's video of his off-grid system he uses to charge his Tesla ?
I drive a hybrid Rav4 that gets 38 mpg. They have a Prime model that you can charge but the range is only 40 miles.
If they get that up to 100 miles , I might trade mine in for one.
I found his video. I have a grid tied system and I plan to install a 40A charger.
That Rav4 Prime gets good reviews.
But I will probably buy another fully electric car or SUV.
I am surprised no one has made a little trailer to pull a couple of 48V batteries and an inverter to extend the range.

I am surprised no one has made a little trailer to pull a couple of 48V batteries and an inverter to extend the range.
Some talk about this years ago when most cars only went 100 miles. Have seen a working 30kW turbine generator wired to the battery (LEAF). Have also see a gas powered trailer that will help push an EV (RAV4). And some proposals to rent a booster trailer. Pretty much obsolete with increased range and more public charging points.

40 miles all electric range would be sufficient for my present round-trip commute.
My concern then would be fuel going bad. Maybe a dual-fuel engine with a 5 gallon propane tank.

But whatever plug-in hybrid I might get (when I'm due for another car), want the batteries well managed. We know Tesla does, some other brands don't. A Tesla with fossil fuel range extender might be the ticket. Wonder if that can be accomplished without coming out like my usual hatchet job.

iu

Some talk about this years ago when most cars only went 100 miles. Have seen a working 30kW turbine generator wired to the battery (LEAF). Have also see a gas powered trailer that will help push an EV (RAV4). And some proposals to rent a booster trailer. Pretty much obsolete with increased range and more public charging points.
Yes, I agree that it isn't worth the effort to make and deal with a trailer when you find a reasonably price charge close by.
And since fast charging (over 40A) wears out the batteries it probably doesn't make sense to own a high speed charger. In the rare event that I want one, I can just pay for the fast charge.

I don't think people understand the scale of the problem. The human race has spent the last few thousand years but especially the last 100+ years squeezing the trigger and now the gun has fired, the bullet is accelerating down the barrel and some people finally decided to stop it. There is absolutely nothing that can be done. The scale of effort required is way beyond the capabilities of the entire human race. Even if everyone spent 100% of their time working on fixing the problem, you would not even put a dent in it in any reasonable amount of time. It might take maybe 1000 years at the current level of technology. The only practical option that might be workable is to invest into the development of certain technologies (such as fission/fusion and robotics/automation/artificial intelligence) to massively multiply capabilities and hope something usable comes out of it. Otherwise, effort would be best used accepting whatever is to come and preparing for it. People are not even able to START living sustainably and within their means and STOP unsustainably depleting all resources, you think they can reverse all damage in a few decades? It takes a huge amount of energy to pull all that carbon out of the atmosphere, who is going to afford that? The likely outcome is that nothing of consequence is done and the parasitic behavior continues until a complete collapse.

So you didn't have any surge arrestors then, and you still don't yet?
In the following thread I gave links to parts I found on DigiKey which seem similar to what SMA used on 600VDC PV inputs.
Scale voltages according to peak AC voltage when selecting for AC side.
(Or, buy the ones Midnight sells, which look pretty good and include a protecting/blown LED status.)

Yes, I have MOVs on inverter and all lines coming into house. I may put some film caps across lines too. I ran seperate ground from racking to main ground rod on house. The main panel wasn't tied to ground so house was floating. Electrician I hired had some issues.

I don't think people understand the scale of the problem. The human race has spent the last few thousand years but especially the last 100+ years squeezing the trigger and now the gun has fired, the bullet is accelerating down the barrel and some people finally decided to stop it. There is absolutely nothing that can be done. The scale of effort required is way beyond the capabilities of the entire human race. Even if everyone spent 100% of their time working on fixing the problem, you would not even put a dent in it in any reasonable amount of time. It might take maybe 1000 years at the current level of technology. The only practical option that might be workable is to invest into the development of certain technologies (such as fission/fusion and robotics/automation/artificial intelligence) to massively multiply capabilities and hope something usable comes out of it. Otherwise, effort would be best used accepting whatever is to come and preparing for it. People are not even able to START living sustainably and within their means and STOP unsustainably depleting all resources, you think they can reverse all damage in a few decades? It takes a huge amount of energy to pull all that carbon out of the atmosphere, who is going to afford that? The likely outcome is that nothing of consequence is done and the parasitic behavior continues until a complete collapse.
You make it sound like people should just give up and die.
Humans are pretty stupid but they don't give up that easy.
I will continue to try and do my part to improve our chances.
Have a great day anonymous

nonsense!

I resent our schools feeding garbage like this to our kids. Is it any wonder people commit suicide ?
These bad environmental projections have been going on my entire lifetime.

failed-climate-predictions.jpg

Last edited:

This was a long statement with zero substance. Just a troll.

I resent our schools feeding garbage like this to our kids. Is it any wonder people commit suicide ?
These bad environmental projections have been going on my entire lifetime.

failed-climate-predictions.jpg

between The climate change “crisis” and the scamdemic, my BS detector goes off every time I hear the word science.

We may need every bit of this warming cycle to get us through the next super volcano or asteroid impact event.

Back