diy solar

diy solar

Global warming is real, why only in USA is there denial ?

I could go on but if you cry wolf enough times people loose trust.
Scientists make mistakes. But the times you site are not failures of proper, peer reviewed science. The track records of true science is excellent.

You make mistakes. Because you have made mistakes in the past do you never trust yourself? Because you have indeed cried wolf in the past. We all have.

Scientists make mistakes. But the times you site are not failures of proper, peer reviewed science. The track records of true science is excellent.

You make mistakes. Because you have made mistakes in the past do you never trust yourself? Because you have indeed cried wolf in the past. We all have.
Ok I get where your coming from. But what does this have to do with the OPs Question?

Global warming is real, why only in USA is there denial ?​

But what does this have to do with the OPs Question?

Global warming is real, why only in USA is there denial ?​

As for the OP's question, I do not think it is only the USA where there is "denial" or skepticism, but here we are allowed to more openly voice our opinions. Well.... at least for now. Censorship of that freedom seems to be under attack more and more each day.

I resent our schools feeding garbage like this to our kids. Is it any wonder people commit suicide ?
These bad environmental projections have been going on my entire lifetime.

failed-climate-predictions.jpg
Lol. I agree with you regarding the shortcomings of the public education system, however, I've arrived at my conclusions more or less independently much later.

If you look at the whole situation and think about it, it doesn't look very good. I can't really describe it properly in a few sentences.

My point was, few people driving electric cars, using solar panels or planting trees isn't going to do anything. So, you might as well don't bother with it (if that is your method). For me, this isn't about denial but about lack of any practical solutions.

My point was, few people driving electric cars, using solar panels or planting trees isn't going to do anything. So, you might as well don't bother with it (if that is your method). For me, this isn't about denial but about lack of any practical solutions.
First you have to have a serious problem before you take drastic action.
The majority don't accept the premise that we have a serious problem.
Almost none of the climate change preachers live their lives like they believe what they're preaching.
They want to live like kings and all the sacrifices should be made by the subjects. It's a scam and always has been.

... what does this have to do with the OPs Question? Global warming is real, why only in USA is there denial ?
The OP's question was answered in #8, that is it's a fallacy to believe it's only the U.S. Every country has some percentage of skeptics, deniers, and believers. Possibly why they stopped participating in the thread. The rest of the thread has very few links to solid references, mostly just opinion.

I suspect most skeptics are that way for the same reason I was: they "decided" back in the 80/90s when there was a lot of baloney extrapolation of the young science, they keep "hearing" things to reinforce beliefs from political entities they trust, and just never personally revisited the actual science. I sure changed my tune when I looked into it (there's even a thread on that which painfully goes through every skeptical question I had). Every year more people wake up to it being real.

First you have to have a serious problem before you take drastic action.
Well, you have to believe there is a problem. If you're not the sort to blindly trust others, then you need to dig into it yourself with an open mind.

Democrats and Libertarians mostly agree climate change is real and needs to be reversed. So, the Republican party is the only party not solidly on board and it is split on the topic (ref):
According to The Hill, in a recent poll conducted by The Conservation Coalition and the Conservative Energy Network, 68 percent percent of Republicans between the ages of 18 and 54 say climate change is important to their vote. The same poll also found that more than three-quarters of all Republican voters favor the government taking steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
As the opinions of the voters are steadily changing, I suspect the opinions of the representatives to change as well (at least if they want to get elected). Although that upper age limit in the poll was probably cherry-picked to get the 75%; but it does show where the party will be in a decade.

The majority don't accept the premise that we have a serious problem.
75% of the democrats believe it's a critical problem, so sounds like a majority in congress accepts it and that's why we're seeing action. For a simple majority, from #8, half of the voters in the U.S. already think climate change is a critical threat, 76% believe it's a problem. Most governments are now working towards net zero by 2050 to 2060.

Almost none of the climate change preachers live their lives like they believe what they're preaching.
It does seem like a lot of folk are waiting for the government to solve the problem.
Pity, there's a lot we can do and it saves us $$ to do it.

half of the voters in the U.S. already think climate change is a critical threat, 76% believe it's a problem.

What does "Think" mean?

What fraction of voters do you think could explain convection? Evaporation?

"Believe" - now that is more likely.

Sadly, most people "believe" what the media tells them (whether it's true or not).

Even more sadly, most people have beliefs.. Most people who don't "believe" in climate change are the same types who wouldn't recognize the difference between carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen atoms if you LITERALLY drew them a picture.

Put all three diagrams next to each other and ask them to identify which is which.. they won't be able to because of their own ignorance.

Why would someone who doesn't even know the most fundamental things about a subject form an opinion about it?

So yes, it is sad that people suffer from such gross ignorance that they're not even intelligent enough to know when something is beyond their current understanding.. and since their mentality can't handle that, they turn to social issues to support their irrational belief systems. As such, we end up with "this guy said this", or "if this is true, what about this"... conspiracy theories, accusations, innuendo, and pretty much anything else that doesn't require them to understand the actual science.

I have two questions for anyone with an opinion on climate change..
1) The identify the atom test
2) Explain the functional mechanism that causes co2 to be a greenhouse gas.

Family, neighbors, friends, and strangers... in over 15 years, only one person has been able to answer either of those questions correctly, and that one person wasn't a climate change denier.. he was driving a Chevy Volt.. and had a degree in Chemistry.

Most people are so ignorant it isn't possible for them to comprehend their own stupidity.

ROFLMAO some of the comments....

Really. I am POSITIVE that many comments would NOT ever be said in the Real World in Public because of the Embarrassment that would accompany the stupidity of the statements. Clearly some commenters never got past Junior High level Science (and barely at that).

The empowerment of stupid through anonymity has really helped Society hasn't it. Then the Greatest Social Disease known to HUMANKIND (FacePox) forwards the crud and gives it voice.

The Loud Mouthed Bullies drop into Name Calling, Badgering and Provocations - Ohhh just like some Politicians !
I'm old school, when we had Bullies in School, we'd Beat the crap out of them. They didn't bully others afterwards... But then Teachers could teach and consequences for misbehaviours was Real... none of the wussy crap like today...

The MOST IRONIC THING HERE : People (some) think that Politicians are working for the People and that they will do the right thing. The GRAND DELUSION ! They only work for themselves and most are still mentally stuck in the 20th Century with their imagined foes and all the nonsense that goes with it.

The Lake Louise BANFF Glacier was seen and trod upon by many people, it was there for a Very Very Long time, now just a rubble field and everyone can see it and there is no ice anymore... Look beyond YOUR YARD the Evidence is EVERYWHERE !

Most people who don't "believe" in climate change are the same types who wouldn't recognize the difference between carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen atoms if you LITERALLY drew them a picture.

There is a difference between believing in climate change, and believing what is causing it and/or what can be done about it.

There is a difference between believing in climate change, and believing what is causing it and/or what can be done about it.
Unless those beliefs are based upon knowledge, evidence, and science, they are irrational by definition.

Like I said, this is why everyone wants to discus the social issues instead of the science.. The politics, conspiracies, greed, and the rest of human emotional garbage... most people have almost no understanding of the science.. or even physics in general.

Most people don't even know the difference between an ionic bond and a covalent bond, let alone how CO2 acts upon certain electromagnetic frequencies, or even what electromagnetic frequencies are.. Even the cartoon videos on youtube trying to explain it to them on a 5th grade level have little effect.

People are ignorant, and you can't fix stupid.

Climate change deniers are not influenced by the science, they are influenced by the social aspect.. kind of a stupid way to live if you ask me..

I do not think it is only the USA where there is "denial" or skepticism, but here we are allowed to more openly voice our opinions.
I have found American's (I am an American) vastly overestimate the differences in freedom of expression/speech between modern democratic countries. There are certainly distinctions and differences in philosophy, legal norms, and degree, especially at the margins. But if you think that people in the UK, Canada, Western/Northern Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and much of the rest of the world, are being legally barred from talking about climate change, or fear repression from discussing their point of view, I think you probably have not been to any of those places, or interacted with a cross section of real people from those countries.

There are countries where free speech and free expression is severely limited/repressed, but there is no correlation between those countries and POV on climate change. Europeans and Canadians (the two groups I'm most familiar with Beyond Americans), are just as outspoken on issues they care about as Americans are, and in many cases there is more polticical diversity in these countries, not less. Free expression doesn't explain this unless you are only referring to countries like China/Russia/Iran/NK, its jus a conveniently simple way to ignore most of the world.

But if you think that people in the UK, Canada, Western/Northern Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and much of the rest of the world, are being legally barred from talking about climate change, or fear repression from discussing their point of view, I think you probably have not been to any of those places, or interacted with a cross section of real people from those countries.

I've actually been to over a dozen different countries (granted it has been a few decades). And I never said anyone was legally barred from saying things, just that they "generally" did not seem to be as vocal about things. And is some, opposition to the government was not tolerated.

The Loud Mouthed Bullies drop into Name Calling, Badgering and Provocations - Ohhh just like some Politicians !
I'm old school, when we had Bullies in School, we'd Beat the crap out of them. They didn't bully others afterwards...

I don't suppose you see the hypocrisy of your comment. It is usually the real bullies that try to quite anyone who does not agree with them.

I don't suppose you see the hypocrisy of your comment. It is usually the real bullies that try to quite anyone who does not agree with them.
Hmm I posted a Grenade as this is a Grenade topic... Guaranteed to Fragment folks....
Couple of small comments tossed into the air - no one specific...
Just because we did things differently in the past & it worked "de-bullied the bullies" you have an issue with that....

Thank You for Playing, Have A Marvelous Day pondering it...

I've actually been to over a dozen different countries (granted it has been a few decades). And I never said anyone was legally barred from saying things, just that they "generally" did not seem to be as vocal about things. And is some, opposition to the government was not tolerated.

Oh.. hey now.. lets slow the train down before we enter into snowflake mode..

A bully is someone who uses their physical size or stature to manipulate or intimidate a weaker / smaller person under threat of violence.

There is no such thing as an intellectual bully..

When someone says something stupid, wrong, or false, and gets their intellectualism run over by a bigger brain, that's not being a bully.. that's just being smarter.. If they can't handle being made to look ignorant, then they shouldn't be participating in the conversation.. There's even an old idiom "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".

Lets not try to handicap the intellectual and educated by pretending the ignorant and stupid are somehow victims.. We already have too many entitled snowflakes running around this country...

Back