diy solar

diy solar

Global warming is real, why only in USA is there denial ?

When considering the amount of co2 released by one large volcano, peoples incessant burning looks small.
The amount of CO2 all the volcanoes in the world release for the entire year, is only a small fraction of what humans release.

I don't think people understand the scale of the problem. The human race has spent the last few thousand years but especially the last 100+ years squeezing the trigger and now the gun has fired, the bullet is accelerating down the barrel and some people finally decided to stop it. There is absolutely nothing that can be done. The scale of effort required is way beyond the capabilities of the entire human race. Even if everyone spent 100% of their time working on fixing the problem, you would not even put a dent in it in any reasonable amount of time. It might take maybe 1000 years at the current level of technology. The only practical option that might be workable is to invest into the development of certain technologies (such as fission/fusion and robotics/automation/artificial intelligence) to massively multiply capabilities and hope something usable comes out of it. Otherwise, effort would be best used accepting whatever is to come and preparing for it. People are not even able to START living sustainably and within their means and STOP unsustainably depleting all resources, you think they can reverse all damage in a few decades? It takes a huge amount of energy to pull all that carbon out of the atmosphere, who is going to afford that? The likely outcome is that nothing of consequence is done and the parasitic behavior continues until a complete collapse.
It's worse when politicians get involved. Don't let a good emergency go to waste. Milk it for more Power and Wealth. Performance is optional, Propaganda Matters.

I don't think people understand the scale of the problem. The human race has spent the last few thousand years but especially the last 100+ years squeezing the trigger and now the gun has fired, the bullet is accelerating down the barrel and some people finally decided to stop it. There is absolutely nothing that can be done.

Go see these cities while you can.

Why would anyone in their right mind buy real estate in these places?

The situation is Miami is even worse, as the city is sinking. Parts of Miami are already underwater during high tides.

Go see these cities while you can.

Why would anyone in their right mind buy real estate in these places?

The situation is Miami is even worse, as the city is sinking. Parts of Miami are already underwater during high tides.

Houston TX area. Parts of Baytown TX is really in the bay now. Sinking due to depletion of the aquifer.
Houston area sinking

Martha Vineyard, Massachusetts, USA. Is a resort island that is home to the rich and powerful.
Why would Obama buy a $12 Million Estate there if it was under immediate threat of flooding?

Last edited:
Houston TX area. Parts of Baytown TX is really in the bay now. Sinking due to depletion of the aquifer.
Houston area sinking

Martha Vineyard, Massachusetts, USA. Is a resort island that is home to the rich and powerful.
Why would Obama buy a $12 Million Estate there if it was under immediate threat of flooding?
Why would you post a question with such propaganda based implications?

The home he purchased has no chance of flooding in his lifetime or for the lifetime of any other owner after him... even with the worst sea level rise numbers.

Folks should go back to his birth certificate, at least that provided some level of entertainment...

We haven't had any very large volcanic eruptions for a long time. Last "large" eruption was in 1991 in the Philippines and St. Helens before that. The point is, these eruptions have been few and far between in recent generations. The eruptions can release large amounts of co2 in a small amount of time. This is undisputed. Co2 isn't the only greenhouse gas out of volcanoes and other naturally occurring phenomenon. Initially large volcanoes will actually have a cooling effect on the surface temperature of the planet. Climate change is real. The planets history is that of ice ages which effect plant and animal life as much as warming. What's the correct earthly temperature, i don't know, does anyone? People figured out how to burn everything just at the right time in history.

He wisely didn't buy property in the Florida Keys, where many of the major roads will be flooded by 2025.

My suggestion to people who don't believe in Global Warming is to move to the Florida Keys. You will find cheap land alongside these roads that will be flooded in less than 5 years.

Eventually, I suppose those people will drown, and we won't have to hear from them anymore.

Last edited:
... the Florida Keys, where many of the major roads will be flooded by 2025....
I'll let you know in 3 years and 2 months. I love how a photograph of a puddle on the side of the road is proof we're sinking! ROFL

The current rate of rise is 3.4 mm per year. The house/road is +6' here, so that's 537 years before I have to worry about water lapping at the road (at the current rate). U.S. 1 (the only road out) is even higher to accommodate evacuations during huricane/flooding. Although, once we hit a tipping point it could double, so that's only ~200 years.

That said, climate change is real and yes we need to work together to do something about it.
But long before I have to worry about exchanging the EV for a EVgondola, we'll hopefully be net-zero or possibly have a plan B squared away.

Oh but Svetz, those hurricanes are climate disasters
No, they're just regular disasters and yes it floods down here and has for the last century. There have always been outliers and that's what the building code is about.

failed-climate-predictions.jpg

The amusing thing about the cartoon... it acknowledges the consistency of the science saying the planet is warming since ~1980. So after ~40 years of consistent messaging... perhaps skeptics ought to take another look at the science with an open mind?

Last edited:
Climate change is not man made. Using it to push a political agenda is what we need to do something about.

Climate change is not man made. Using it to push a political agenda is what we need to do something about.
Doesn't make a difference if it's man-made or not.
(although the science is pretty clear humans are big contributors and the IPCC models have been very accurate for the last 30 years, see post #40).

From the geological record we know higher temperatures means less oxygen in the oceans. High CO2 concentrations destroy existing ocean habitats. Changes will occur on the land too. All perfectly natural, but not all natural things are good for your well-being (e.g., tornados are all-natural).

Truth is, we like the temperature where it is and changing it is mighty inconvenient in terms of costs. More so that going net-zero (switching to solar/wind reduces costs in the long run with low-cost ESS).

Species who adapt to a changing environment survive and thrive. Those who don’t will go extinct. Humanity’s arrogance will be its demise.

Adaptation is already in process. Many will struggle just as they always have. A few will be very successful.

If the earth were cooling, the "global scientists" would find a way to blame the same things for that.

I personally am more worried about the rate we are polluting water.

fascinating how sci-fi is!

I'll let you know in 3 years and 2 months. I love how a photograph of a puddle on the side of the road is proof we're sinking! ROFL

You don't have to wait 3 years and 2 months for the flooding in the Keys.

Roads in Stillwright Point in the Keys having been flooding regularly for years, sometimes for as much as 90 days under water. The flooding gets worse and worse with every king tide.

The predictions are simply that by 2025 the floods will just be increasing in such magnitude that other roads will regularly be under water. Yep, it will be 20 years or more before even larger sections of the Keys are submerged.

If the earth were cooling, the "global scientists" would find a way to blame the same things for that.

I personally am more worried about the rate we are polluting water.
Yes, it is all one big conspiracy to fool you.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there's a church somewhere who needs a donation of money so they can save your soul.

Jets gonna keep zoomin and things gonna keep burnin. I'm all about efficiency. make every diesel engine in the world 1% more efficient on average and you've met all the greenhouse gas emission goals.

Yes, it is all one big conspiracy to fool you.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there's a church somewhere who needs a donation of money so they can save your soul.

People are free to believe whatever they want.

Not sure what religion has to do with any of this, and you certainly don't know what my beliefs are.

As the home of most the worlds the oil companies, the USA's laws were what the oil companies needed to worry about. They knew their products where warming the earth. They started a campaign of disinformation modeled on the cigarette companies.
I made a video about how they did it
Before you push any Green Agenda, you should look at who stands to profit from any move towards Green Agenda. People like Al Gore and others have positioned themselves to profit immensely should a Green Mandate go into effect.

While I am a proponent of Green Energy and it's usefulness and the reduction of fossil fuels, I am also a realist. Green Energy has to make economic sense over the long haul in order to make it feasible on a large scale. The reason you aren't seeing large corporations switch entirely to Green Energy is not just due to the scale/reliability involved but also because they don't have the incentive to make the investment. They are more concerned with the next quarterly report and what that report means to shareholders. Most corporate management is focused on getting the highest price for their stock options, not what the investment in Green Energy will mean 10 years after they have left the company. Basically, corporate leaders are the Raiders of the Lost Ark when it comes to corporate long term investment.

Until large business accepts Green Energy as a long term investment that will benefit shareholders long term, you won't see a large push to create lowest cost per watt hour on a grand scale that would drive adoption costs to very low cost. This includes not only solar but other technologies in development including energy storage.

You don't have to wait 3 years and 2 months for the flooding in the Keys....
Did some additional research... while I doubt I'm underwater by 2050, you just might be. Part of that is because my tides are wind-driven (bayside w/mangroves), a part is elevation, and part of it is margin of error.

Not that king tides don't cause flooding, but I see roads like the one to the right a lot.

But it's after any heavy rain, and not strictly due to tides. If it were just from King tides then I'd see it after every king tide regardless of rain.

What's happening is the ground around the homes is higher and so the water
drains/accumulates in the roads. Drainage is important to protect the house
foundation, but the roads have no drainage so become lakes. The extent to
how much it happens has more to do with ground saturation and runoff.
1636982153803.png

We just had a king tide last week, so looked up the elevations, for Key Largo South Sound is was 2.3' (+5" over average high tide).

Sea level measured at the Key West gauge has risen approximately 3.9 inches from 2000 to 2017. ref
So dang, that's already twice the rate as the earlier post. But, if you use the bottom line (the IPCC Median) then sea-water won't be up to my road (elevation 6' - 2.3' for king tide= 44" elevation) until after 2120 (except for storm surges which already occurs) best case and 2060 worse case. But if your road is already flooding during a King Tide, then it's probably under 2.3' elevation and yeah... it's just going to get worse.
The thing is, even if all the countries work together and get to net-zero by 2050 it's already too late unless someone pulls out a plan B since after achieving net-zero it still takes 100s of years to restore the temperature. Although in the meantime, it seems like some sort of drainage system could at least get your roads dry a couple of times per day (e.g., low tide).

1636982953877.png
So, given your situation do you have any plans?

Back