diy solar

diy solar

Go Solar Assistant - ver 11-2-21- support for Gyll-EG4 Battery + MORE

I need to learn more about what is required to get this up and running?

No experience with Pi’s but I will take a look at the solar assistant website.

Edit. I see they have at least one YT video.

I already have three separate systems monitors.

Schneider ComBox for my CSW 4048.

Victron CerboGX for my MPPT and SmartShunt.

EG4 monitoring via a laptop with the setup Sig Solar showed on YT.

I will have to learn if Solar Assistant can connect any of these together or just replace my EG4 monitor. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Wow... Great report JOE!
I Just updated my SOLAR-ASSISTANT and connected the USB cable via MODBUS as well... with success!!!!
My Question, should I be able to see Battery information for all 3 of my EG4 GYL Batteries?, all I see is vales for "Pack 1"

TIA,

RP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 10.22.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 10.22.56 AM.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 18
Wow... Great report JOE!
I Just updated my SOLAR-ASSISTANT and connected the USB cable via MODBUS as well... with success!!!!
My Question, should I be able to see Battery information for all 3 of my EG4 GYL Batteries?, all I see is vales for "Pack 1"

TIA,

RP
I emailed Pierre about that this morning. Just have my cable hooked to single Gyll EG4, the other 3 Gyll Lifepower4's are still daisy chained and communicating over rs485 to Laptop. The only thing SA added to Home Assistant was 1. a correct SoC and 2. Gyll EG4 Battery temp, Joe.

Wow... Great report JOE!

TIA,

RP
Here is the answer from Pierre, Solar Assistant can read all Gyll batteries through one rs485 connection, see here - https://solar-assistant.io/help/battery/rs485 Reboot SA from config tab and wait 5+ min, ALSO FOR NOW YOU MUST START OFF WITH PACK 2 and daisy chain down the banks, I had to end with EG4 since it only has 1 rs485 port, Joe.
1636065191932.png

Last edited:
This seems promising. Anyone get this to work with a Sol-Ark?
I think there are many now. Some of these links could be helpful:

I’m getting a RPi Zero 2 next week to try this out.
Be careful, they are addictive - Solar Assistant leads to Home Assistant leads to MotionEye on Pi0 w/Rasp pi V.2 camera leads to "make it stop"
Now they have other brands with bootable Nvme drives, my HA pi4b 8G is booting from Vnand via usb3 - which is good enough for now - until this stupid chip shortage stops, by then prices will come down - the tofu that does now boot nvme ($100) should be cheaper, Joe.

O fyi i would buy Pi3 or above for SA.

Here is the answer from Pierre, Solar Assistant can read all Gyll batteries through one rs485 connection, see here - https://solar-assistant.io/help/battery/rs485 Reboot SA from config tab and wait 5+ min, ALSO FOR NOW YOU MUST START OFF WITH PACK 2 and daisy chain down the banks, I had to end with EG4 since it only has 1 rs485 port, Joe.
View attachment 71350
Did some experimenting this morning.... I got Solar-Assistant to recognize multiple EG4 's ... but in my case.... Im not sure it will work out. As I am using a Growatt 3000 Inverter, and it likes to talk to the first pack (as ID 1).... I couldn't get the inverter to even work without being connected to the Eg4 .... (Error 20 BMS/COMM fail) ... Perhaps I could setup the Growatt battery config manually... but not so sure its worth it.... If anyone can steer me in the right direction, Im grateful ..... Thank You!

Did some experimenting this morning.... I got Solar-Assistant to recognize multiple EG4 's ... but in my case.... Im not sure it will work out. As I am using a Growatt 3000 Inverter, and it likes to talk to the first pack (as ID 1).... I couldn't get the inverter to even work without being connected to the Eg4 .... (Error 20 BMS/COMM fail) ... Perhaps I could setup the Growatt battery config manually... but not so sure its worth it.... If anyone can steer me in the right direction, Im grateful ..... Thank You!
BTW: I used the rs485 HUB that Signature Solar Sells to create the "Hubbed network" of RS485 cables....

Did some experimenting this morning.... I got Solar-Assistant to recognize multiple EG4 's ... but in my case.... Im not sure it will work out. As I am using a Growatt 3000 Inverter, and it likes to talk to the first pack (as ID 1).... I couldn't get the inverter to even work without being connected to the Eg4 .... (Error 20 BMS/COMM fail) ... Perhaps I could setup the Growatt battery config manually... but not so sure its worth it.... If anyone can steer me in the right direction, Im grateful ..... Thank You
I disconnected Growatt to EG4 due to Solar shutting down when Batteries got full even know there was load to supply, not sure if that's been fixed yet. Fyi if you have other batteries connected to Gyll's like I do - reading of "Power" are from Gyll batteries - not Growatt, which means the Battery power is no longer right, working with Pierre now to solve, Joe.
HA showing wrong math - 1636125652573.png

I see the NEW BETA version of SOLAR-ASSISTANT is out !!

I want to try this again. But I do NOT Know what Setting(s) I should use/change in the GROWATT 3000 itself.

Currently I have (05) BATTERY Type set to LI . But when I disconnect the RS-485 cable from the battery , the system powers off.

I am assuming I need to switch to one of the USE/US2 Modes?

I have the Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES connect to 3 EGyLL Batteries

This looks interesting. Any insight / help MUCH Appreciated.

2021-12-22Beta​

New features:

• Power management for Growatt inverters.
  • Support for the Deye 12kw 3 phase inverter.
Corrections:

• Improve handling of modbus CRC errors.

I see the NEW BETA version of SOLAR-ASSISTANT is out !!

I want to try this again. But I do NOT Know what Setting(s) I should use/change in the GROWATT 3000 itself.

Currently I have (05) BATTERY Type set to LI . But when I disconnect the RS-485 cable from the battery , the system powers off.

I am assuming I need to switch to one of the USE/US2 Modes?

I have the Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES connect to 3 EGyLL Batteries

This looks interesting. Any insight / help MUCH Appreciated.

2021-12-22Beta​

New features:

• Power management for Growatt inverters.
  • Support for the Deye 12kw 3 phase inverter.
Corrections:

• Improve handling of modbus CRC errors.
SA won't interfere with connection from Growatt to batteries, had y Growatt to Gyll's and it never bothered to upgrade Solar assistant, Joe.

If you can advise on what "Setting" i should set for the Growatt, that would be great.... as I cant really test unless I change OFF of Battery Type LI .
RP

Back