diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero 6000 x

51.1V > 50V

Further, a panel with a Voc of 51.1V can be be up to 25% higher than that number in cold conditions, so not only would you not want to exceed 50V but you would want to leave some overhead. My understanding is that exceeding the voltage limit of your solar charge controller is the biggest no-no.

51.1V > 50V

Further, a panel with a Voc of 51.1V can be be up to 25% higher than that number in cold conditions, so not only would you not want to exceed 50V but you would want to leave some overhead. My understanding is that exceeding the voltage limit of your solar charge controller is the biggest no-no.
Is there someway of making these two work together?

Is there someway of making these two work together?
I'm not an expert (or even half competent), its not something that I would feel comfortable with. You would be knowingly exceeding the specification, and the limit explicitly stated by the manufacturer, which I'm sure voids your warranty, and I think goal zero stuff costs a pretty penny.

Others more knowledgeable and more creative than me may have some ideas on how to make sure the voltage doesn't exceed 50V (including accounting for temperature). But its your system and your money so be cautious.

Have you already purchased the panel?

I'm not an expert (or even half competent), its not something that I would feel comfortable with. You would be knowingly exceeding the specification, and the limit explicitly stated by the manufacturer, which I'm sure voids your warranty, and I think goal zero stuff costs a pretty penny.

Others more knowledgeable and more creative than me may have some ideas on how to make sure the voltage doesn't exceed 50V (including accounting for temperature). But its your system and your money so be cautious.

Have you already purchased the panel?
I own both. Trying to see what is possible.

Frankly, unless I lived practically in the tropics, I wouldn’t want to exceed 40-42 VOC with this one. Maybe 45 in a place that rarely gets below freezing. Don’t mess with overvoltage.

Back