diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Ressurection?

dcampbell999

I have a Goal zero Nomad with small Boulder and smaller Nomad panel. The connectors are proprietary. The battery is gone. Anyway yo get use out of the panels? Goal Zero offered no help.

Can you measure the output of the panel and see if they work?

the GZ should be reupbuildable... they used SLA batteries I believe... you could even retrofit a diy LFP bank...

How to measure? I left it in sun for two days and plugged one of their lights into it but got nothing. The panels have been safe and sound and should be just fine. It seems to be the little Solar Port battery attached that isn't charging. I am a real novice so maybe I didn't understand your question.

Post pictures of what you have.

I meant setting the panels in the sun, and measuring the wiring output to see if they produce voltage.

they should be fine, and the proprietary connectors can be swapped or matched with adapters.

the GZ, likely has dead lead acid batteries. They can be replaced, or rebuilt withLFP cells...

Thanks. Here are pix.

Attachments

• 20200911_054531.jpg
    20200911_054531.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200911_054236.jpg
    20200911_054236.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200911_054151.jpg
    20200911_054151.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks. Here are pix.
The Solar Ports aren't batteries. Those are the solar panel junction boxes. Goal Zero typically uses 8mm (DC7909) barrel plugs as output from their panels. They plug into the charging input port on their power stations. Jackery, Bluetti, Rockpals etc. also use that same plug and port combo. The Nomad panels usually also have a USB output port that allows you to plug one of their small USB power banks or your phone charging cable into it.

You really need to buy a battery or power station if you want to use the solar panels. Those look like very small wattage panels with the Boulder (30?) being the largest you have. They'd only be useful with a very small power station or power bank.

Thanks. This gives me something to work with. I will attach a battery and see if panels charge it. Then check out some of the brands you mentioned. I do have a larger system I am putting together for a cabin.. I bought this GZ years ago and it died for non use. I just hope to recoup something from the investment. I have found that I can attach a dual point power connector to a charge controller and use the DC plugs for the two nice lights that came with the GZ. This works for the small solar set up I have in my camper van.Thanks again.

If you really want to do real troubleshooting, you really need a voltmeter to tell what's going on. Here's a dirt-cheap low budget meter you can get for <5$. Not state of the art, but better than just trying to light up a light bulb.

Thanks I will check out a local source. Delivery on these is Oct 2 to Dec.2. I have a volt meter but not digital read out so I don't get a precise reading..

I simply picked that one because it was so cheap. Even an analog meter is better than nothing. They worked OK for the last 50 years before digital came along. Does you meter also measure amperage? The old style with a series amperage connection would let you measure the amps for up to 10 seconds. The amp test generates heat, and if you run a test for longer than 10 seconds you will blow a fuse, but they work.

The Solar Ports aren't batteries. Those are the solar panel junction boxes. Goal Zero typically uses 8mm (DC7909) barrel plugs as output from their panels. They plug into the charging input port on their power stations. Jackery, Bluetti, Rockpals etc. also use that same plug and port combo. The Nomad panels usually also have a USB output port that allows you to plug one of their small USB power banks or your phone charging cable into it.

You really need to buy a battery or power unit. station if you want to use the solar panels. Those look like very small wattage panels with the Boulder (30?) being the largest you have. They'd only be useful with a very small power station or power bank.
Just a follow up thank you. Learning this I charged phone from both panels. Now will see if there is any hope for the Escape power center battery.I replaced the battery last year and kept it plugged in. But I unplugged and let it sit about a month and it died again. There was some kind of temo fuse that the guy at Batteries Plus replaced...maybe not the right one. I am happy to have functional panels for my camping set up and don't want to make another pricey battery replacement.

I simply picked that one because it was so cheap. Even an analog meter is better than nothing. They worked OK for the last 50 years before digital came along. Does you meter also measure amperage? The old style with a series amperage connection would let you measure the amps for up to 10 seconds. The amp test generates heat, and if you run a test for longer than 10 seconds you will blow a fuse, but they work.
OK will try that.

Back