diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti 1000 and backup Lithium Batteries

seefree

Hello All,

I am very new to all this but have just purchased a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 as a small emergency backup for my home. Goal Zero sells a Link module and backup lead acid batteries to extend the storage capacity of their Yeti line. My question is: Instead of using lead acid batteries as a backup can I use Battleborn Lithium batteries to increase the storage capacity of my Yeti 1000?

Welcome to the forum! That question came up late last year here. I checked and GZ said they don't support that. Here's the info from my email exchange:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:03 AM
To: Goal Zero Support <support@goalzero.com>
Subject: Use 12V LiFePO4 batteries with Yeti Link expansion module?

Good morning,

<snip> Is it possible to use a 12V LiFePO4 battery instead of a lead-acid AGM battery to expand the run-time of a Yeti 1000, 1400, or 3000 via the Yeti Link expansion module? For example, if I had one of the following batteries, could I swap them out for the AGM in a Yeti Tank?
If that is not possible today, does Goal Zero plan to offer any support for 12V LiFePO4 batteries in the future?
I appreciate any information you can provide on this.

Thank you,

Bob

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Goal Zero Support <support@goalzero.com> Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:11 PM
To: Bob

Howdy Bob,

Currently our Yeti Link modules will only support lead-acid batteries, however our engineers are developing a way to make our systems able to chain to Lithium chemistry batteries as well. We should have that ability available Summer 2020 at the earliest.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Cheers!

<name removed>
Solution Center Representative

In the Yeti is a Li-NMC. So I think the upcoming extension is a NMC battery.

Hello All,

I am very new to all this but have just purchased a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 as a small emergency backup for my home. Goal Zero sells a Link module and backup lead acid batteries to extend the storage capacity of their Yeti line. My question is: Instead of using lead acid batteries as a backup can I use Battleborn Lithium batteries to increase the storage capacity of my Yeti 1000?
I'm planning on doing something very similar.... using a step up converter connected to a Battleborn or other Lifepo battery. Goal Zero Yeti 1000 requires a voltage below 22VDC to charge- and above 14 VDC (as I recall) . Here is the link to the converter I plan on using to charge my Yeti 1000 lithium: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792L92ZN/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue

I'm planning on doing something very similar.... using a step up converter connected to a Battleborn or other Lifepo battery. Goal Zero Yeti 1000 requires a voltage below 22VDC to charge- and above 14 VDC (as I recall) . Here is the link to the converter I plan on using to charge my Yeti 1000 lithium: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792L92ZN/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue
But on second thought, this looks to be a better choice with higher specs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4109JD/ref=psdc_10967761_t2_B0792L92ZN?th=1

I just ordered a Battle Born 100Ah to supplement a GZ Yeti 1000. The initial plan is to use the Goal Zero 12v Car Charger which can deliver 5 or 10 amps, ('cause I have one) but eventually looking to do what Oggie suggests with a step up converter to deliver more juice. Here's a video showing how the car charger works with an external battery:

My plan to keep the Battleborn charged in this set up is to connect solar and a Victron 100/20 to it.

The chain would be: 200 Watts solar, Victron 100/20, Uxcell 15 amp 19VDC converter, Goal Zero Yeti 1000.
Does anyone have any comments or issues on this concept?

I think we're on the same trajectory. I was looking at a 30 amp Victron for 360w solar for the Battle Born. I don't see any flaws in the plan, It's almost exactly what I'm doing. I bought a MinnKota trolling motor power station to house the battery for portability and it has quick access to two 12v 10a cigarette lighters with breakers, and terminals (w/60amp breaker). I also bought a better battery meter w/shunt to mount because the cheap power station meter isn't designed for Lithium. It's a nice little package. Same thing as this fellow did for his trolling setup:

1584625967120.png

Good luck! I'll let you know if I blow anything up.

Good to hear. Since I'm going with 24 volt solar, I think the Victron 100/20 allows enough solar power expansion for me. And it's light and compact.

I like this design for a folding solar panel pair: https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/diy-portable-solar-panel and may parallel connect 2 sets to charge the Battleborn.

All in all, I find the chain of components I listed previously to be compatible with Goal Zero's car charging concept and hope I'm not missing anything!

True on the 24v with the 100/20, plenty of room for expansion there. I considered 24v, but it's the same array (3 120w panels) I use for the Goal Zero, and I don't want to rewire series/parallel when switching between GZ & Battery - call me lazy. I'll just get the bigger controller.

That's a great hinge setup on the folding solar panel stand, more food for thought!

I thought the car charging concept had enough merit to invest in the components. I've done plenty of testing with Jackery 240/500 12v ports and was able to increase my storage without any problems. The only trick is to manage the input vs the load. The Goal Zero car charger supplies 5a (about ~60w) or 10a (about ~120w). If the load on the GZ is too big, it will drain the GZ before the Battery can catch up. That's why the interest in the step up to 19v.

Final geek test: 160wh Ryobi Battery > 240wh Jackery > 500wh Jackery > 1045wh Goal Zero = 1945wh (with a ton of loss, I know)

Kept my fridge, freezer, & internet running for 10+ hours, increasing run time by about 35 to 40% over GZ alone. A single battery will be way more efficient, but the concept works.

(Photo isn't of the actual test, just the components involved)

1584632427033.png

from the photo, it looks like you are feeding dc to the yeti pwm input and ac to the yeti 65 watt charger, is that right?

The photo is the Jackery ac output feeding two 65 watt chargers through the pwm and standard ac ports. I think it was taken before I got the GZ car charger.

Once I got the car charger, the setup was Ryobi ac out > Jackery 240 pwm in / dc out > Jackery 500 pwm in / dc out > Goal Zero pwm in.

When I hooked up the Jackery dc out to the mppt input on the yeti, it pulled in more watts, but the output of the Jackery went up significantly, which seemed to lower the efficiency of the transfer. So I stuck with the pwm input.

todd parker's video

goes into that and he comes to the same conclusion: mppt not effective in this application

this may be a dumb question... but can I charge the yeti with the 12v charger AND the 25 amp power block at the same time? I’m thinking while driving my vehicle with a wired inverter.

GZ told me as long as you don't exceed 360 watts combined input no problem.

My plan to keep the Battleborn charged in this set up is to connect solar and a Victron 100/20 to it.

The chain would be: 200 Watts solar, Victron 100/20, Uxcell 15 amp 19VDC converter, Goal Zero Yeti 1000.
Does anyone have any comments or issues on this concept?
you have any pics of inside of yeti 1000 ? i bought one with battery removed and would like to see or a wiring diagram

Dear Oggie, do you have any results from your setup you mentioned above?
How did this chain of components work out? I'm trying to do something similar with my Goal Zero Yeti here:

If you visit Todd Parker's youtube thread:
you will see his results and others.

He found using a GZ car charger and a stand alone Battleborn was enough to fully recharge his Yeti 1000. Someone else uses a Victron DC to DC charger to charge their Yeti while driving. I
My 15 amp 19vdc converter connected to a stand alone lead acid deep cycle battery charged my Yeti for a while but dropped voltage too fast to maintain charging for more than a few minutes. If the sun or shore power was charging it, charging continued.

Todd recently informed me he is making a follow up video detailing his ability to fully charge his Yeti 1000 with a stand alone lithium iron phosphate battery and a GZ car charger. I expect there will be more details and options in the video.

Back