diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti 1000X learnings

Rolee

I bought a yeti 1000X a couple months ago as I wanted something to power my dometic fridge when wandering around that I could also use to make sure my office at home doesn't wig out whenever PGE is having issues. I kinda wanted the 1500x but went with the 1000x because it was lighter and my wife had concerns about the weight. From using it most every day i've learned a few things that maybe I should have known before buying or someone else has covered but were new to me.
- The fans on the yeti don't generally turn on as long as I keep charging/loads to below ~300 watts each. Occasionally they will cycle on even under light load (say 100watts or so) but only stay on for a bit. They aren't too loud and sound similar in volume but lower pitched than a server.
- If you plug in more than one source on different inputs(say the wall charger and a 12v car charger) it will just pick whichever one is higher power and ignore the other.
- The 12v car chargers are kinda finicky and if not fed a high enough voltage they will bounce back and forth between 0watts and their expected output somewhat randomly (at least according to the input meter on the yeti). When trying to use it on my spark EV it also exhibits this behavior. I need to check what voltage it puts out when on and maybe see if the 12v battery needs to be replaced.
- The included wall charger gets pretty hot under use (it even has warning labels on it) and really is so slow (charges at ~120 watts) as to be pretty useless most of the time.
- The 4x 8mm to Anderson PP adapter you can buy is pretty cool as it lets me use dual 12v car chargers connected to a couple battleborns that I have to basically keep the Yeti running all day when connected to a few things around the house. I may get a few more car chargers just to try it out maxed at 40amps.
- From completely dead (0%) to full took around the stated 9 hours and according to my kill-a-watt used up 1.12 kwh of energy for the stated capacity of 983wh of the yeti. Not sure if that is the useable capacity or not. I need to test it at some point. When charging the meter was reading 132-133 watts pulled from the wall, 118 watts as the input of the yeti.

If anyone finds this useful I can also try some other random experiments on with it so long as it doesn't involve taking it apart or buying really expensive tools to do so.

Back