diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti 1250 – Great platform for drop-in LiFePO4 upgrade

You can upgrade every AGM Yeti with LFP. I‘m running a little Yeti 150 with LFP since 1.5 years without any problems. My old Yeti 400 AGM runs since six years with the original (!) AGM. Crazy. If the AGM of the 400 is dead I will replace it with LFP too.

I may still try the swap, but my gears just grind trying to follow the work, and I’ve never been one to mess with electronics or electrical equipment. I know my breaker box, and an electrician’s number. I have the 1250 - which I agree is a legend. I bought 2 systems that year, the GZ and a small solar generator start up that since went under, but had good components, with the charge controller being a Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 3024IL that I think can be set up to charge lithium batteries. It’s a beast also with a 150ah sunXtender AGM battery. Both units could be much improved. I just have to get my head around it and get over my first-time-DIY fear. Just never been a hardware guy. I’m a strategy and project manager guy?
Replacing the 12v battery in the Yeti is pretty straight forward, especially if you've already done it one. Swapping to a lithium battery is almost the same process with the only added part being having to add a ammeter to it.
If you'd like any help with the swap I'd be more than happy to assist you with it!

Replacing the 12v battery in the Yeti is pretty straight forward, especially if you've already done it one. Swapping to a lithium battery is almost the same process with the only added part being having to add a ammeter to it.
If you'd like any help with the swap I'd be more than happy to assist you with it!
Thanks a bunch! I just purchased and fumbled through an EG4 inverter and 48v battery for emergency back up, so the cost will be in line after I catch back up. Hope I can call on you a couple months down the road.

Hi all,

I got an old yeti 1250 and put in 120ah LEP battery and it mostly works. it was not looked after well by the previous owner, was bit banged up but most seem to work.
The original AC charging adapter was lost and was replaced by a cheaply made alternative, it gets very hot when charging the device.
I want to swap it out for a well made AC charging adapter, finding one with 8mm DC port is a challenge.
Looking at the spec sheet, I will need an AC adapter that does over 16v to charge using the 8mm port.

Old Thinkpad laptop adapters used to have 8mm DC port and they do over 16V, will these work? is my reasoning right or am I going to break something!
If not I have a newer thinkpad adapter that I carry with me and this ebay seller has an adapter that goes from the newer square plug to 8mm DC male plug, I might get this. - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153961704648

I would greatly appreciate if anyone with more electrical knowledge can offer their feedback.

This device sits in the back of my car most of the time, I was hoping to charge using the car cigarette lighter socket but spec sheet says it needs minimum 16V so I dont think this will work, might need a voltage booster device. Goal Zero sells one but reviews are poor, it also heats up.

If anyone is charging using their car alternater, can you please share the details.

Thanks
Yudi

I don't know the specs of the Yeti, but I have used that adapter successfully with Thinkpad 190W and 230W power bricks on my Bluetti.

Back