diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti 1500X plus solar panels, MPPT Charging module?

Hawk388

I have the Yeti 1500X and two Boulder 100 BC panels. I know the 1500X already has a built in MPPT charging optimization module however, there are ports on the Yeti to plug in another one. Would buying and utilizing the stand alone MPPT Solar Charging Optimization Module with these two panels further reduce charging time during a blackout?

This is a setup for when the eventual hurricane takes out the power grid here in the Destin, Florida area.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this. Especially if you have a similar setup from Goal Zero

Welcome to to the forum!

Would buying and utilizing the stand alone MPPT Solar Charging Optimization Module with these two panels further reduce charging time during a blackout?
No. Adding another MPPT solar charge controller without more panels will not reduce charge time. I would max out the solar input of the built-in MPPT and then evaluate the performance. Only if it doesn't charge in the timeframe you need would I contemplate adding the MPPT add-on.

I always get sticker shock when looking at GZ solar panels, especially the briefcases. If you have the budget and can afford more of the GZ products then maybe start accumulating more of their panels. If you are looking for much less expensive solar panel options, spend some time checking out the info on this forum. You'll see you can pay a fraction of the cost for the same capability.

Welcome to to the forum!

No. Adding another MPPT solar charge controller without more panels will not reduce charge time. I would max out the solar input of the built-in MPPT and then evaluate the performance. Only if it doesn't charge in the timeframe you need would I contemplate adding the MPPT add-on.

I always get sticker shock when looking at GZ solar panels, especially the briefcases. If you have the budget and can afford more of the GZ products then maybe start accumulating more of their panels. If you are looking for much less expensive solar panel options, spend some time checking out the info on this forum. You'll see you can pay a fraction of the cost for the same capability.
To add to bobs comment, there are "ways" of using cheaper panels into GZ kit. so if your budget reaches to "Watts over branding" there is possibilities. :)

I have run a Amazon 60w and an elecanta 120w into both my yeti 150 and 400's with the conversion cables with no issues seen.

For the conversion cable - google "Lenovo DC lead", basically comes up with a 7.9mm DC tail you can get from aliexpress, ebay or similar. splice a 55/21 DC nib on the end and most non GZ stuff fits.

I have the same setup but with 2 x Boulder 200 and 2 100 watt renogy's getting about 420 watts in through hpp. Watch this video as he uses a victron mppt into the yeti and it appears to be much more efficient. I would recommend buying other panels than the over priced gz panels. The 2 100watt renogy panels produce more watts than the gz Boulder 200 and are a fraction of the price

Back