diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti 3000x and Point Zero Energy Titan 3000

Parker10

Hello, brand new to the forum. I have nearly no real life knowledge of Solar, and have learned what little I know from Will, (thanks!). I do believe these units are what I need for California wildfire season, three years in a row now. Chased out of my area two years out of three now for a few days, and the rolling outages are here this week for more than 4 days. I've avoided the gas generator, not a good idea to me. Seems like in just the last 2 years these have really improved.
The Yeti seems to have expensive solar and small amount of solar power, the Titan more solar panel power, but may not be able to run my fridge for a few days unless I buy more battery. I will set up a sub panel, and just flick a switch when the power goes out. Then if I do have to evacuate, I can pop this into the RV, and take off.
Am I heading in the right direction? They are sold out at this time, looking to get set up for next year.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you are headed in the right direction. I have a couple systems to do what you are describing, including a modified GZ Yeti 1250.

If you haven't done it yet, you should measure the actual energy consumption of your fridge over a few days with a "kill a watt" style meter. Once you know the true average daily consumption in kilowatt hours you can start sizing battery and solar for your use cases. For example, if you want to be able to run off of battery alone for a certain number of days, you'll know whether the Titan or Yeti will fit the bill (check out the Bluetti AC200 as well). You'll also know how much solar you will need to keep the fridge running and also recharge the battery.

One of the members created an energy audit/system sizing spreadsheet you may find helpful. Post your energy consumption totals (I'm assuming you'll want some lights and gadgets along with the fridge) and people can help suggest portable system configuration options that may work for you.

Thanks for this, I'll check out the kill a watt meter and the Bluetti. No hurry, the units I've already looked at aren't avail until later in this year or next...

Back