diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti?

sidpost

I am looking for a better "power center" to use camping than a bunch of random power banks that are all USB based.

I am initially thinking about the Yeti 200x or 500x so, nothing super big or heavy. I am looking to provide some power if my car battery is dead (I travel with a small charger car batteries, in addition to jumper cables), power for electronic gadgets (cellphones which are easy and a laptop which is not), and various LED lights and a 12Vcd freezer/fridge for drinks and some perishable food.

The Yeti's appear to need a ~20Vdc solar panel so, I'm also not sure what my options are other than either Goal Zero $3~$4/watt panels or, other panels with a charge controller probably set to 24Vdc "lead" on the 8mm input connection. I also found the 500 cycle charge life a bit suspicious for Lithium Ion NMC batteries but, the BMS these use is a mystery.

I would be receptive to other options but, I am looking for an integrated flexible easy to use system that has USB, PD, and 120Vac connections in an "all-in-one" system that is in the $300~$550 range.

TIA,
Sid

Okay, I have one Yeti 500 & a EcoFlow River Pro.

One thing I would point out to you that I wish I had known before buying the Yeti 500: it recharges at ~70W while the River Pro recharges at ~600W.

Depending on your conditions, this is huge if you need a fast recharge or if you are running a gas generator to charge things up.

Back