diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti's 150/400/1250 MPPT

Daedalus

Hi all,

Looking to find out if there has been any success in either removing or circumventing the PWM solutions in either the 150/400 models. I'm keen to see if i cant get a MPPT solution to sit in place of the onboard PWM? I also do see that the further i go down this path it becomes a franken-goal and is no longer a GZ.

For GZ 400/1250 AGM battery model, you can use the anderson port to connect to your own MPPT. This will connect directly to the battery and bypass the onboard PWM(400)/MPPT(1250).

Thanks for the response.
As far as im aware the Anderson port on 400/1250's is direct charge to battery so that helps and a logical point to intercept for a MPPT and also removes the watts limit for the "blue port" on the 400/1250. The 150 has a 60W limit which sucks on the PWM blue port, would love to re-route that via a MPPT then back onto the mainboard but i think i'd lose the blue LED working :( so will keep to my Ghetto Anderson port on my Yeti 150 for the Juicy MPPT feed.
( i think there is an inline fuse (not sure what amps though) I had built an anderson solution for the 150 with an inline fuse. will probably look to stick a victron inside if theres enough space or run a aftermarket MPPT unit. limited space in the 150 :D

In the 150 is a 168 Wh battery inside. Remeber: it‘s a AGM type. 60 watts charge power is good and keep the battery healthy. The same with the 400. It‘s possible to connect a MPPT but keep the limitations (charging power) from AGM in mind.

Thanks for the response Ely,
agree with the logic of not going overboard on input power, its only a small cell (relative to the bigger 33ah in the 400 and the biiiiig unit in the 1250. No reason to cook the cell by insane input powers :).
Now i have an Anderson chaining port (input from secondary cell 15AH to parallel internal cell) and a second Anderson port will be fitted to enable my MPPT.) MPPT Circuit will look at other colored Anderson ends to identify ports.
The 150 is more a test bench to enable longevity (main 15ah, then additional 2x 15ah cells via Anderson) rather than sheer power (if i wanted that i would have gone for the 1250)

Another grumble, why did the yeti's never have a 19v orange laptop port, but the Sherpa's did? the 150 has a space to right of LCD just the size for that........

Simple use for the laptop a 12 volt car power supply. It runs the laptop with these Yeti‘s perfectly

Last edited:
Hi Ely, Agreed. I have the mains power supply for the Laptop to drop it to 19v DC for use with laptop. was looking at a DC-DC pack to run off the green 12v port, just seems a shame the port got deleted on Yeti's plus i find it wholly inefficient to bump up the volts via inverter and then down again to DC into back of laptop.

The inverter is inefficient (DC -> AC -> DC). Mostley I use DC, USB-C with the old Yeti via car adapter.

These old Yeti’s running here since many years, the 400 and one of the 150 with the original battery. But the battery of this 150 is weak and must be replaced during the spring or summer.

Back