diy solar

Going off grid with my Pool - CA

ASeyfried

Specs for my new pool pump motor
volts: 230
Amps: 7.5/2.1
Watts: 1725/483
Watt hours: 5hrs/day = 8625/2415 watthours
What all do I need to do/get in order to power this using a solar system?
I live in CA and I get 8hrs a day of good sun. I don't need more than one, maybe two days of back up. I can use the lower setting on my pool motor for most days, but may turn the higher one once a week to help run my pool vacuum.
Which Battery do I need? I know I need one that can support 6000 to 18000 watt hours of load. My question is about the LifeP04. Will it be big enough??
How many solar panels should I get?
what about the invertor?
The bottom line is that I am paying way too much each month to run my pool.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS TO MAKE THIS WHOLE THING EASIER???

You could get a pump that is designed to run on solar and is efficient. Would need to look at your existing one to determine if its not already decent.

Heating pools with direct thermal collectors is(was) the widest use for solar.

If you have a grid hookup dont discount grid tie offset.

You could get a pump that is designed to run on solar and is efficient. Would need to look at your existing one to determine if its not already decent.

Heating pools with direct thermal collectors is(was) the widest use for solar.

If you have a grid hookup dont discount grid tie offset.
He isn’t talking about heating... just circulation for filter function.
A net over it would cut down on filter needs too..

Specs for my new pool pump motor
volts: 230
Amps: 7.5/2.1
Watts: 1725/483
Watt hours: 5hrs/day = 8625/2415 watthours
What all do I need to do/get in order to power this using a solar system?
I live in CA and I get 8hrs a day of good sun. I don't need more than one, maybe two days of back up. I can use the lower setting on my pool motor for most days, but may turn the higher one once a week to help run my pool vacuum.
Which Battery do I need? I know I need one that can support 6000 to 18000 watt hours of load. My question is about the LifeP04. Will it be big enough??
How many solar panels should I get?
what about the invertor?
The bottom line is that I am paying way too much each month to run my pool.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS TO MAKE THIS WHOLE THING EASIER???
Solar to operate the pool motor.
180KWh storage
1500watts solar minimum to cover the three days add in 1800 watts to cover an hour of occasional high speed use...
Charge controller, and inverter, or an all in one...
that is a LOT of power bills to cover...
maybe going with less, and having an all in one to cover the high speed and the days without sun... forgo the batteries beyond a day of use...
Drastically cuts down the total cost...

I mean... that much solar and batteries, even using used panels, and DIY battery bank is going to be over $6K

He isn’t talking about heating... just circulation for filter function.
A net over it would cut down on filter needs too..
I know, but if he heats and wants it off grid....... gotta come up with heat. 200$ per 4'x 20' collector..... tens of millions of btu per year each amd last 30 years or so. I threw it in there even though it looked like simple power.

Its like 3$/day..... not too expensive, but id still fill it in or roof it over!

I was thinking he only wants the circulation during summer, heck... CA is always summer... not much need for heating.

I have been doing exactly this too with solar, you have to remember if your inverter is big enough and you have a big pv array you don't really need a big battery bank to operate your swimming pool during the day. When the sun goes down shut down the pool or lower the speed. I have a heat pump that takes 2500 watts, and a 4400 watts inverter (magnum) 48v and only 1 bank of battery 428ah. I would be able to heat up the pool every time the sun was up. Sometimes 2,3,4,5 hours in a day no problem. Just remember though I have a 100amp controler and 5500 watts of panels.

Hope this helps

Back