diy solar

diy solar

Going route of DIY "portable" generator.

pullin_gs

I had intended on building fixed "Stand Alone" solar (ESS configuration with 2KW panels, 3KW inverter, 10kWh Lithium).
Designed in accordance with NEC 690 and 710 "Stand Alone" ....implementing multi-circuit 120 VAC transfer switch (Reliable 10-circuit 30Amp).
Local permitting proving to be expensive and complex for DIY solar (mainly due to required certifications of installer and component requirements above and beyond NEC specs).

So, tossing around idea of implementing Plan-B instead:
Small-scale of system will allow me to implement a portable battery generator solution.
Notable design considerations:
*)Inverter and charge controllers are NOT UL-listed.
*)Conductors fabrication, breakers/fusing, labeling scaled as outlined in general electrical code/best-practices and NEC 710.
*)Designed using "NEC 690 Standalone System" guidance. Considerations include PV&ESS/&Inverter-out disconnects (integrated within generator unit),
*)using 2020 NEC 706 guidance for ESS implementation
*)No grid interconnect (NEC 705?)...is standalone with power transfer (Using NEC 710 guidance) to select circuit (total 125% amps of selected cicuits under rated capacity of generator design).
*)Instead of installing hard-wired 10-circuit transfer switch myself will instead hire electrician to install transfer switch with 30A generator inlet box/connection.
*)10X solar panel array is ground mount solution......pushing through coding/permiting for DIY ground-mount I have not figured out yet......ideas?

Thoughs?
P

If I understand correctly, you would hire an install of a sub-panel and transfer switch for generator emergency supply. Then build a solar "generator", that could feed your generator input. Is that your plan?

If I understand correctly, you would hire an install of a sub-panel and transfer switch for generator emergency supply. Then build a solar "generator", that could feed your generator input. Is that your plan?
Yes. Simply a standalone backup "portable" generator (10kWh battery + Electronics +Disconnects) which plugs into standby-generator "input" of transfer switch.
The Reliance Pro/Tran-2 transfer switch is not "whole house", but instead manually switches up to 10 circuits that are normally fed by main panel. The Pro/Tran-2 never backfeeds generator into grid.
I'm still tossing around options for getting ground-mount solar array (8 panels) through local permitting process.

Why not purchase a couple of Ecoflow Delta Pro units and some panels you can quickly setup in the yard?

I may do this myself and just connect it to my generator input box and interlock setup.

Why not purchase a couple of Ecoflow Delta Pro units and some panels you can quickly setup in the yard?

I may do this myself and just connect it to my generator input box and interlock setup.
That looks nice......but I will pass.
I take on new projects like this because it gives me satisfaction to design/implement/enjoy through inception all the way to completion..:)
Not for the faint of heart though. The learning process for this project started decades ago when I migrated from nickel-chemistry battery storage solutions over to Lithion-Ion with early adoption of LIPO-powered RC hotliners (200MPH Iithium polymer powered airplanes).

Anyway, my current all-in cost for panels/chgcontrollers/inverter/battery is only 3.5K
2KW (8x250) panels, 15kWh battery (will only cycle it 10kWh), 3/6KW inverter.

That’s what I did.

I would love to know some details on your implementation. :)
Any second thoughts?
Thanks.
Basically I just put in a 200 amp Transfer switch between Utility and backup.

My solar acts as permanent backup.

40 Q cell 480 watt panels, 2 Sol-Ark 12kw and around 200,000 KWH of LIFEPO4 batteries.

Back