diy solar

diy solar

Good Battery Capacity Tester

The one in Will’s video is only a fraction of the cost of the West Mountain Radio one and it does 150w max FWIW

The one in Will’s video is only a fraction of the cost of the West Mountain Radio one and it does 150w max FWIW

Actually 185 Watts Max.

Have one here draining a BYD battery. Working well so far. Gonna take a while though.

WARNING!!!! The colored fan version in Wills video sold on Amazon is only good for 150watts!!
Not 185!
I just connected one as demonstrated on Wills video to a 12v 100ah LiFePo and tried to slowly dial it up to 170watts and poof? magic smoke?
Should have fused the battery connection but ..........hindsight....?
Anyway what size inline fuse would be recommended on the battery line to NOT fry another one???
150watt seems to be its max. ✌
They are on eBay for $135 also, but I bought thru Wills link on Amazon.
I can’t afford to buy 5or six of them like some have mentioned. ??
And of course they are now out of stock on Amazon???

@Darkstar don’t know which one you’re using or how you connected, but the Amazon and
Aili X state 150watts and will fry at higher settings unless fused

Last edited:
No fuse, just direct to the battery input terminals on the tester and plug in the AC wall wart and away it went.

Thats the same one I bought also. Maybe i got a bogus one because it went poof when I slowly dialed it up to170watts ? The specs say they are only 150watts My bad? so I’m bummed.
Maybe I can get it sent back as defective? I know they are currently out of stock on amazon with more due on Feb 12th.
Anyone else have a problem on these over 150 watts??

Last edited:
Definitely go to amazon and request return of defective item. Amazon is pretty good about that.

In the process now. Bummed because I was looking forward to checking my 2 LiFePo’s. One redone Ruixu drop in with the new BMS and one 55ah energized outdoors I’ve been using every day.

If you are testing a 12v battery you could put a 10 amp fuse inline to be sure you cannot dial up more than 120 watts. You would need a 12.5 amp fuse to protect up to 150 watts but if they even make such a thing I doubt it is that fine tuned.

There's an old saying: "A transistor protects a fuse very well, the opposite is rarely true..."

That's mainly because a fuse is slow.

If you are testing a 12v battery you could put a 10 amp fuse inline to be sure you cannot dial up more than 120 watts. You would need a 12.5 amp fuse to protect up to 150 watts but if they even make such a thing I doubt it is that fine tuned.
@JoeHam thanks. Did you buy one of these and have you used it yet? I’ve been reading on the YouTube video @Willprowse made on that tester that fusing is a wise idea.

Just got it but have not used it yet

Cool, just be cautious when slowly adjusting the wattage up. It only took a couple seconds for mine the cook at 170watts. Dark star said he had no issue going higher. Maybe mine was a dud. I’m going to put a fuse inline on the next one but finding a 12.5a fuse for 150watts is impossible. 15a would be too high and 10a would be too small. Anyone know where to buy fuses between 10-15amps? Got a replacement coming from Amazon. Glad I didn’t buy it from alieX
or EBay. They are cheaper but returns have been known to be problems on them.

Cool, just be cautious when slowly adjusting the wattage up. It only took a couple seconds for mine the cook at 170watts. Dark star said he had no issue going higher. Maybe mine was a dud. I’m going to put a fuse inline on the next one but finding a 12.5a fuse for 150watts is impossible. 15a would be too high and 10a would be too small. Anyone know where to buy fuses between 10-15amps? Got a replacement coming from Amazon. Glad I didn’t buy it from alieX
or EBay. They are cheaper but returns have been known to be problems on them.

Just use 10 amps and take your time with the battery test at 120 watts

Afer seeing the commentary I did some extensive searching through Amazon, Ebay and so on, comparing several units from different vendors. There is clearly TWO Versions, one 150W and one 180W.

Now in the USA this is pretty cheap at around $45 to $65 but most listed up here came in around $100 by the time shipping, currency exchange and all that. I found a Canadian Supplier with a respectable price and free delivery as well... Link Below

Due to comments here & on YT I'll be adding an inline fuse for battery pack testing, I doubt there s any need for individual cell testing though.

$65 CAD with Free Delivery

Last edited:
DANG IT ! Just got an email from the vendor … They somehow got "sold out quickly" in the past couple of days and the product is now back ordered till MAY ! Geez, Louise, can't catch a freakin break ! Unfortunately, I'm stuck with using PayPal at this time so limits where I can shop and that sux too because some of the deals are not on sites that accept PP.

Back