diy solar

diy solar

good clamp current meter

e67

What's the best deal on a clamp meter that has a generous span and is rugged and reliable?But not the highest priced ones...

Get one that is both an AC and DC clamp meter.
Good point. Lot of people see a clamp meter and assume it can do both yet it only does AC.

Good DC clamp meters are going to set you back. There are plenty of cheap ones, but DC clamping is more difficult and you get what you pay for.

Good point. Lot of people see a clamp meter and assume it can do both yet it only does AC.

Good DC clamp meters are going to set you back. There are plenty of cheap ones, but DC clamping is more difficult and you get what you pay for.

It's also useful to have something that will measure significant amps. The cheap ones don't measure many (or no) amps.

I've been pleased with the stuff from Kaiweets. When customers with discerning eyes are looking over my shoulder, I have a bag of Fluke meters, but I had $500 Fluke get stolen once and that stung so I just buy these less expensive one and don't cry anymore.

Also good to find a clamp meter that can freeze highest peak value, for measuring motor startup surge (in-rush) power amps...

Last edited:
Most of the meters on the Market in the $35-$55 range are good enough to do the Job and most of them are duplicates of the same Chinese designs even when they look different on the outside. They typically work fine.
If you want a really good meter then something like a Fluke 325 will capture surges in the current and is overall a meter whose measurements are considered a Gold Standard.

I have a Harbor Freight AMES INSTRUMENTS CM1000A 1000A T-RMS AC/DC Clamp Meter ($90)
that I bought to measure the instantaneous inrush current peak on the heat pump compressor.
My solar power system would not start the compressor, I guessed the inrush was the issue.
Compressor only draws about 11A when running, it's just the starting inrush that was
too much.

The HF meter worked a couple of times, and told me what I wanted to know (133A inrush)
It subsequently stopped making inrush measurements, for some HF reason.

So I asked Fluke what they had that would measure inrush current.
Fluke 381 is the device. ($711 @ zoro.com, w/ discount code).
Fluke reported 129A.

I expect the Fluke will be more reliable than the HF, but for crazy $$$, it better be!

I use Unit-T DC capable clamp metres. Make sure you buy a AC and DC one as the really cheap claim DC but not via the clamp.

I just bought (bid on and won) a Fluke 302+ for $67 on ebay. It's new, out of box and doesn't include the case or leads, but I can find cases at the pawn shop for $5 (or not use a case) and I have plenty of spare leads. I'd been looking for a Fluke for a while, and just stumbled on this one. But you can get them new for around $100 or so. It will do what is needed.

Back