diy solar

diy solar

Good deal on 40 amp MPPT charge controller

JAR

Hey guys I just ordered a BougeRV 40 amp MPPT charge controller off of their website for $30 off making the total $89.99 which I think is a good deal for this particular model that is sold other places as well under different brands like HQST, etc. Use the discount code MPPT30 to get the discount. If anyone has had experience with this controller, please post here in response.

Anybody have this controller? Please comment.
Doing a search it Looks like Nobody here has any experience with BougeRv here. Amazon reviews were less than encouraging.
Same unit labeled as a HQST and probably other brands which are all the same unit. A decent well tested 40a MPPT is going to run you more toward the $200 price range. EPever make a really well tested and very popular 40a MPPT with the MT50 meter (model 4215bn) to adjust parameters and basic monitoring. I have 2 of them that have been in use trouble free for over two years.
Just not worth it to buy the low dollar MPPT C Controllers. ✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: Mia
Well I guess I'll find out when mine arrives. Reviews on Amazon aren't too bad if you can believe them.

I got this same SCC from HQST. It is a decent unit that gets the job done. Downside is that there is no connections for a load/inverter like you would find on other SCC's. Max wire size for the terminals are around 10 awg. Maybe can fit 8 awg. From what I remember when I was setting mine up, the max volts is 92 volts. There are limitations to how many watts that can be accepted depending on if you use a 12V/24 volt battery.

Thanks Lewi for your comments. I am buying it to replace a built-in PWM controller contained in a Giandel 1600 watt inverter being fed by two 100 watt panels on my 19 foot travel trailer. I want to add two more panels for a total of 400 watts which this controller I think will handle. I don't need the load terminals as it will be connected to my Lion Energy LiFePO 105 AH battery which then feeds the inverter handling my 110v loads. The lead in from the panels I believe is 10 awg so should be alright. The thing that attracted me to this controller is that it comes with the remote LCD meter and still comes in at the $89.99 price shipped(although from China so still am waiting). Other places I have seen it are without the meter.

I have installed 6 of the similar "all in 1" from the same manufacturer (whoever that is) and 1 of those in family and friends RV's, no issues with any of them in 6 seasons, but nobody has tried lithium with it. They all have the same manual and setup menu, lithium is on their battery type or you can set your own parameters....I haven't tried doing that
I used #10 manual says it can take up to #8

From my research on this SCC, the unit is made by SRNE Solar. There is a setting for lithium on the unit but there is also a "User" setting so you can customize what you want. The LCD screen isn't backlit so reading in dark places is not ideal. Unit does get a little warm while in use but that seems normal considering the whole back is a huge heatsink. Remember to connect the battery first before the PV. If you connect the other way around then the controller will not initialize/detect the battery so you would end up having to unplug everything and try again.

Hey.. I bought an 20 amp HQST MPPT controller/display about 8 months ago and have been using it ever since.. Works great.

Easy adjustment for LiPo4 batteries

I keep it all in a portable plastic case, with an exhaust fan

Looks Identical to that BOUGERV unit, but who knows?

Last edited:
No charging voltages are listed and no mention of user configurable charge settings.
I would pass until I knew the charging specs met my needs.
No temperature sensor for lead-acid.

Charging voltages are listed for all profiles, and it has user configurable settings. It also has a temperature sensor available.

Charging voltages are listed for all profiles, and it has user configurable settings. It also has a temperature sensor available.
Sorry did not see the manual in the link. First comment said there was no battery temp wire.

Hey guys I just ordered a BougeRV 40 amp MPPT charge controller off of their website for $30 off making the total $89.99 which I think is a good deal for this particular model that is sold other places as well under different brands like HQST, etc. Use the discount code MPPT30 to get the discount. If anyone has had experience with this controller, please post here in response.
How did it work out for you? any problems with the set up for Lithium battery bank?

I don't have their controller, but I ordered 2 BougeRV solar panels months ago. Got one, still waiting for the other one. The one panel I got seems like a good one, but I ordered the panels in Jan. Won't order from them again unless they have stuff in stock.

I picked up the HQST 40 amp unit which looks exactly like the BougeRV/SRNE Solar unit back around Thanksgiving 2020. It was on special and came with the screen attachment for around $109. Using it ever since. Works great. I would definitely buy again and would recommend it. No it doesn't have temp sensor or line out though.

Would anyone know if there is an APP or program or what ever? My HQST controller didn't come with a meter.
Curious if it can be set with computer? Also does anyone have a pinout of the remote meter connection on the SCC.

Back