diy solar

diy solar

Good states to move to (or buy land in) for DIY?

Ulmo

Yes, I'm bored. Yes, I want to experiment. Yes, I might want to start some supply businesses. Yes, I care about being safe. Yes, I'd like to be legally compliant even in over-regulated areas. But first, I want to get some inexpensive land somewhere where there are no or few regulations so that I can experiment, and maybe (hopefully) start businesses. Does anybody know such states, counties, and jurisdictions? I'm more interested in NorthWest, I think, like Idaho or nearby states, but anyplace West of the Mississippi I'll consider. Anybody have comments? My target applications are, well, you guessed it: solar power, batteries, and of course, the equipment necessary to support them.

I'm looking for suggestions of jurisdictions that have:

1. Few impedimentary regulations and government costs to do solar and batteries.
2. Land in those places that is extremely inexpensive.

Either one of #1 and #2 is very interesting to me, but BOTH #1 and #2 mean I'm doing it. I look forward to all useful information on this! I hope you can benefit as well.

lots of people like to move in a state where growing weed is legal.
if you do not care, a bit of desert will be cheap.

Zillow search by state, not always accurate. If you find a location you like, google it after Zillow.....Colorado is booming....Idaho may be getting there with move=ins from other states....Desert area's are usually the least expensive. Reno is very high...California has regulations on how to tie your shoes.

Im partial to the midwest. Macoupin county IL has no building inspectors. They would prefer that you build to code, but have no way to enforce it. I bought an old farmstead on 5 acers for $50k lived there for a number of years over the last crash (2008) and then moved on and sold several years ago for $50k (because no one wants to live in rural BFE)

I like the midwest because land is relatively cheep, water is easy to come by (vs Idaho were a deep well is likely to cost you 5-10K and rainwater harvesting done correctly is about the same) There is plenty of population centers within an hour or 2 drive which means there is market for farm products as well as anything else.

and you can get decent internet

Last edited:
Also take a look at payback and netmetering per state. https://www.solarpowerrocks.com/ Granted, these numbers are for strictly grid tied, but they also let you look at things that would make a state solar unfriendly, like low electricity rates and no rebates. If you are targeting strictly off-gridders, it may not make as big of a difference, but grid tied battery backup can be a tough sell when electricity is $.10/kWh.

Back