diy solar

diy solar

Goodwe GW5048D-ES + 10kwh Aliexpress success

Samtrois

Got my 6.6kw solar system hooked up in December.

I did a little research beforehand and wanted to get something that would support a 'diy' battery vs something from tesla etc.
I then found the battery on Aliexpress and it mentioned supporting a few inverter brands I recognised. I figured no point posting links, They arent paying me and I'm not here talking about battery specifics, more a general Aliexpress success story. Obviously do your own research, if the price is too good to be true, its probably rubbish. but only time will tell in my case :cautious:.

No installers around me listed this inverter specifically but I emailed a few who dealt with Goodwe and said they could install this (at a cost of course).
I was super happy with the installers, they were very nice, and more than happy to answer all my questions about brackets, mounting locations etc.

The 10-week wait for the battery was a little stressful, but not as much as switching this on for the first time.

I was annoyed to realise the listing I purchased didn't include tax, so when it arrived in the country I was contacted by the logistics company and had an invoice to pay.

The instal went relatively painless (lots of wait time to research). Except, I could not get the BMS to 'communicate' properly with the inverter. The seller was very helpful, even sent me the USB>ethernet cable and walked me through checking some things via 'Teamviewer'.
We couldn't find the problem so I was running without comm cable for a time.
Turns out the Goodwe doesn't/can't communicate with the BMS when you set the battery to 'self define'. So now I am running it as 'default' in the Goodwe menus, and it seems to be reading everything it should be.

This installation coincided with me also setting up home assistant, I was extremely happy to find the Goodwe was supported, and have had fun scheduling things like lights and AC to come on based on charge levels or PV production. I am also working on another portable 5kw system that will be used for traveling, and when I'm home will power some other off-grid 'circuits' to reduce draw on main battery, and power things like fridge if the power goes out. (I think my inverter can support offgrid /backup mode but that would've been costlier to setup, and I wanted to do the extra battery anyway)

Everything has been running hands-off for over a week now, so I'm finally ready to share

2023-03-15 18 40 00.png

Nice job!!!
Tell me something, inverter is reading BMS? Or it´s only reading voltage?

I'm trying to connect my GoodWe GW5048D-ES with all stuff from Daly, and didn´t get it yet... nice trouble i'm in :D

Got my 6.6kw solar system hooked up in December.

I did a little research beforehand and wanted to get something that would support a 'diy' battery vs something from tesla etc.
I then found the battery on Aliexpress and it mentioned supporting a few inverter brands I recognised. I figured no point posting links, They arent paying me and I'm not here talking about battery specifics, more a general Aliexpress success story. Obviously do your own research, if the price is too good to be true, its probably rubbish. but only time will tell in my case :cautious:.

No installers around me listed this inverter specifically but I emailed a few who dealt with Goodwe and said they could install this (at a cost of course).
I was super happy with the installers, they were very nice, and more than happy to answer all my questions about brackets, mounting locations etc.

The 10-week wait for the battery was a little stressful, but not as much as switching this on for the first time.

I was annoyed to realise the listing I purchased didn't include tax, so when it arrived in the country I was contacted by the logistics company and had an invoice to pay.

The instal went relatively painless (lots of wait time to research). Except, I could not get the BMS to 'communicate' properly with the inverter. The seller was very helpful, even sent me the USB>ethernet cable and walked me through checking some things via 'Teamviewer'.
We couldn't find the problem so I was running without comm cable for a time.
Turns out the Goodwe doesn't/can't communicate with the BMS when you set the battery to 'self define'. So now I am running it as 'default' in the Goodwe menus, and it seems to be reading everything it should be.

This installation coincided with me also setting up home assistant, I was extremely happy to find the Goodwe was supported, and have had fun scheduling things like lights and AC to come on based on charge levels or PV production. I am also working on another portable 5kw system that will be used for traveling, and when I'm home will power some other off-grid 'circuits' to reduce draw on main battery, and power things like fridge if the power goes out. (I think my inverter can support offgrid /backup mode but that would've been costlier to setup, and I wanted to do the extra battery anyway)

Everything has been running hands-off for over a week now, so I'm finally ready to share

View attachment 139664

Could you send screen shots of your settings for the goodwe please ?

Back